The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

The right sport for my horse

High Horse Stable
Visit My Farm

The right sport for my horse

Post by High Horse Stable »

Hi. I am trying to champ my horse ( which are fully trained) but how do I pick the right sport for them. Does the horse temperament and build have something to do with what sport they are good in?
Training Services
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: The right sport for my horse

Post by Training Services »

High Horse Stable wrote:Hi. I am trying to champ my horse ( which are fully trained) but how do I pick the right sport for them. Does the horse temperament and build have something to do with what sport they are good in?
No
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Training Services wrote:
High Horse Stable wrote:Hi. I am trying to champ my horse ( which are fully trained) but how do I pick the right sport for them. Does the horse temperament and build have something to do with what sport they are good in?
No
This isn't entirely true.
Temperament and build has consequences for what they are good in.
A horse may or may not have a talent in some competition. That talent is influenced by the pedigree (what the horses parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and so on), by the breeder's report and by the conformation it has. After all of this, that talent is also then influenced by the horse's temperament, body build and weight. Although, these last three influences are arguably least influential, they can still mean the difference between consistent wins and consistent second places.

But a horse, with a bombproof temperament, rather then a spirited or high strung temperament, can still win in the racing discipline.

For an unknown-talent horse, give them a test. My test is 3 or 4 entries at level 10 in all of the competitions they're eligible for (if they're over 9 hands, then it will be a total of 21 competitions, all but in-hand). If that horse has a 75% win average in a particular competition, then there is a good chance that the competition is a talent for that horse. Of course, HGP does offer a little bit of direction. I only use the level 10 testing for horses over 45,000 HGP... for those under 45,000 HGP, I use the same test, but at level 5.

Other people however do it differently. Some know where the horse's talent should be from the pedigree and start there. Other's go off of the breeder's report and test them in what matches the best report remarks first. And yet others will simply start at level 1 in each competition and work their way up as their horse levels out of each.

I think the reason there is such a difference between the way many of us work, is the main difference between a player that's primarily a breeder (rather an account), and a player that's primarily a competitor (or an account).
I'm a breeder, so my testing is overall and I don't do so to earn titles or monies, I do so to test where the horse is and if the bloodline is improving or not.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
High Horse Stable
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
Training Services wrote: No
A horse may or may not have a talent in some competition. That talent is influenced by the pedigree (what the horses parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and so on), by the breeder's report and by the conformation it has. After all of this, that talent is also then influenced by the horse's temperament, body build and weight. Although, these last three influences are arguably least influential, they can still mean the difference between consistent wins and consistent second places.

But a horse, with a bombproof temperament, rather then a spirited or high strung temperament, can still win in the racing discipline.

For an unknown-talent horse, give them a test. My test is 3 or 4 entries at level 10 in all of the competitions they're eligible for (if they're over 9 hands, then it will be a total of 21 competitions, all but in-hand). If that horse has a 75% win average in a particular competition, then there is a good chance that the competition is a talent for that horse. Of course, HGP does offer a little bit of direction. I only use the level 10 testing for horses over 45,000 HGP... for those under 45,000 HGP, I use the same test, but at level 5.

Other people however do it differently. Some know where the horse's talent should be from the pedigree and start there. Other's go off of the breeder's report and test them in what matches the best report remarks first. And yet others will simply start at level 1 in each competition and work their way up as their horse levels out of each.

I think the reason there is such a difference between the way many of us work, is the main difference between a player that's primarily a breeder (rather an account), and a player that's primarily a competitor (or an account).
I'm a breeder, so my testing is overall and I don't do so to earn titles or monies, I do so to test where the horse is and if the bloodline is improving or not.
thank you for the clear up
Training Services
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Training Services »

High Horse Stable wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

thank you for the clear up
My trainers check what disclipnne my horses are good at. Please keep Deputy in his name.
vallers
Visit My Farm

Post by vallers »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Training Services wrote: No

the comfirmation, build type, and temperment make a big difference when competing. A medium to medium light endurance horse with the same exact stats as a medium heavy or heavy build horse will perform better in endurance competitions. The temperment makes a difference in many categories as well. In racing, if they horse isnt high strung then it will not perform at peak levels. Weight levels also matter.
High Horse Stable
Visit My Farm

vallers wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

thank you

the comfirmation, build type, and temperment make a big difference when competing. A medium to medium light endurance horse with the same exact stats as a medium heavy or heavy build horse will perform better in endurance competitions. The temperment makes a difference in many categories as well. In racing, if they horse isnt high strung then it will not perform at peak levels. Weight levels also matter.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 am