The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Creating Sale & Stud Ads Help

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Creating Sale & Stud Ads Help

Post by BlackOak2 »

This is to aid our community in hastening the sale of horses and standing stallions. Having slightly more uniform ads can aid in both searching for and actual sales of the horses and breeding to studs. Please let me know if something doesn't make sense or if something is left out that could prove very helpful.

Please don't quote the entire post. A simple 'ping' is more than adequate.

While each one of us will look for different types of horses at different times, there is some information about horses that is almost always helpful during any given search, be it for sales or for stud service. So I will attempt to outline and offer a copy-and-paste format that should allow publishing and searching these horses a much easier and less painful process.

A little background information and other things to keep in mind: Such things like build, size and type are some of the most important things that a breeder might be more interested in. Those that like color, need accurate color descriptions and might also want genes identified. Competition farms might prefer conformation scores to be included and titled bloodlines to be indicated. What's important to one purchaser may be inconsequential to another. So by including as much information as a seller or a stud-stander can, does broaden the clientele that might be interested in purchasing or breeding to the horse. However, it's also important to be truthful as well. By providing inaccurate information, certain clientele that may be interested in that horse because of certain qualities may easily dismiss the horse instead. There are reasons 'poor' qualities may be sought after, so don't leave them out or mislabel them just because they may be considered 'poor' to you.

What I will not cover in this topic is sale price or standing stud price. As this is very debatable under many circumstances, offering any type of a price or price guide may prove detrimental instead. But there are thoughts that I can offer to keep in mind when considering prices.
For Sales: For any strictly OBO sales, make sure you sign in to your account. Sleeper accounts (accounts that aren't active), may not get any offers because they're simply not active. OBO sales (or private sales) are good for transferring horses or for special-sale horses where it's too difficult to put a specific price on them. Such horses could be exceptionally rare breeds, exceptionally titled competitors or exceptionally colored horses paired with low COI and high HGP. There are cases where OBO/private sales have a place, but the average horse will move quicker if a buyout option (a direct sale price) is included. For considering a sale price, keep in mind the other horses that match yours on the market, the training it may or may not have, the type of offspring (specifically successful competitor offspring) that the horse throws and perhaps most importantly, what your horse is set apart by, from the other sales ads. What makes your horse different (not necessarily better), can sell your horse much quicker than another that appears to share the same stats and traits. For instance, take into account the going rate for training prices when you apply a price to your horse. If you have trained your horse yourself and it's 'fully trained' (generally accepted, fully trained is at least 90% in all stats, but some consider fully trained is 99% in all stats), you can acceptably start at the general going rate for a trained horse as your 'base price'.
For Standing Studs: You'll really need to consider what makes your stallion stand apart from others. Is it rarity? Is it color? What could your stallion possibly have that another stallion by another breeder does not? The more that your stallion offers different then the other stallions, may prove to be much more lucrative to you. But what appears to be most detrimental to a standing stud is the sheer amount of other studs on the market. Usefulness of your stallions offspring should be considered as well. If he produces great grinders or competitors, if he's an excellent recipe producer, such things should be highlighted and noted in his ad and can lead to more use and higher stud fees.

Photo Information: Also, what is an appropriate picture is debatable as well. Some prefer head shots, some front half shots, and other's full body shots. I think that most will likely agree that an updated photo is at least necessary. So if your horse is ten and you only have a newborn photo, your horse may not sell as quickly then if it at least had a yearling photo (seeing a blown foal coat is important to people that care about color). Personally, I like photos as a newborn, yearling then at every fifth year thereafter (five, ten, fifteen, twenty...). Unless the horse is a leopard, a graying, a champagne or a sooty, your horse won't change all that much after their fifth year (of course the exceptions to this are mane, tail and feather growth). Arguably, the best photo for sales or studs is a photo that does not include any tack or other clothes, so that the horse's true 'look' is unmarred.

Additional Information Directly Related to the Ads: Please keep in mind that if you can't fill out all of these, you do not need to include them. It may help sell your horse or breed your stud but that doesn't mean that if you don't include it, your horse won't sell or won't be used. The more you do include, the more expansive your clientele you may be able to cover, but for that specific purchaser or breeder looking for that specific horse, only one of these may be the selling factor. Plus, for the informed purchaser or breeder, the information that's easy to include will offer the clues they need to determine whether they should look closer at the horse. What it comes down to: include what you can and don't sweat over the information you can't.

Some explanations about word choices:
Fully Comped can be used to describe a horse that has been tried in all the player-made competitions to see ability or specialty.
AC Style for the report can be used to describe a horse that has a breeder's report that appears much the same or equal to what an AC horse would have.
Genetic Color isn't used by everybody. A lot of people are fine with just having an accurate label applied to the horse's profile color (or even don't care if it's entirely blank). If you aren't familiar with these, it can be left out. This is the coat-color list of available genes to choose from:
Black: E/E or E/e
Chestnut: e/e
Wild Bay: A+/A+ or A+/A or A+/At or A+/a
Bay: A/A or A/At or A/a
Brown: At/At or At/a
Champagne: Ch/Ch or Ch/n
Pearl: pl/pl or Cr/pl or pl/n
Cream: Cr/Cr or Cr/pl or Cr/n
Dun: Dn/Dn or Dn/n
Roan: Rn/Rn or Rn/n
Tiger Eye: Tg/Tg or Tg/n
Sooty: Sty/Sty or Sty/n
Graying: Gr/Gr or Gr/n
Pangare/Mealy: P/P or P/n
Leopard Complex: Lp/Lp or Lp/n
Tobiano: To/To or To/n
Flaxen: f/f or f/n
Silver: Z/Z or Z/n
Metallic: Sh/Sh or Sh/n
Sooty Dapples (I don't recall an accepted dapple gene acronym yet, so I'm offering this one): Sd/Sd or Sd/n
Bloodstock Type offers insight into what the horse has been bred for. Foundation can be used to indicate that the horse is the first generation of the breed or that it comes from the AC. Blooded can be used to indicate that the horse has been a purebred for at least one full generation.
Competition Specialty is useful for competition horses. Personally, I don't consider a horse has a specialty in something unless they score 70% win, place, show average and above in a particular competition.
Breed Standard would be for if the horse is purebred. If not, this is unnecessary. Mark how many stars for its breed it is.
Creation Standard would be for if the horse can be used to make other recipe breeds. Adding all of them can be quite an extensive list for some of the breeds. For those that can create a lot of different recipe breeds, this can be left blank, or only those with four and five star ranks can be included. In reality, purchasers looking for specific recipe horses can see if the horse fits what they need by the size and type scores.

Titles are very important and can be very helpful, don't forget to include them, just like photos. This is the copy & paste sale's ad that's half filled in. Just delete the information that isn't useful or is untrue about your sale horse. Of course, you can add or change whatever you find necessary. This is just a template to help you along.
To copy & paste, click the select all at the top of the box, then right click on the highlighted text and choose copy. Move to your sale ad, right click in the description box and choose paste.

Code: Select all

Title: Competitor - Grinder - Breeder - Quests/Recipe Horse - Fully Trained - Fully Comped - Competition Bloodline - Prospect Foal - Unneeded/Unwanted - Retired, Looking for Age Out
Will Continue To Age - Will Not Age
Age at Posting: years, months, weeks
Build: Horse - Pony
Size/Type: 
Report: No Negative - AC Style - All Neutral - All Positive
Stats: golds - greens - reds
HGP: 
COI: %
Bloodstock Type: Foundation - Blooded - AC stock
Offspring: None - Foals
Records: None
Breed Standard: 
Creation Breeds: 
Training %: None - Full - %
Current Total Earnings: $
Competition Specialty: None/Unknown
Genetic Color: 
Conformation Scores: Strength -  
Speed - 
Stamina - 
Movement - 
Tempo - 
Balance - 
Agile - 
Titles are very important and can be very helpful, don't forget to include them, just like photos. This is the copy & paste sale's ad that's been left blank. This is just a template to help you along.

Aging? 
Age at Posting: 
Build: 
Size/Type: 
Report: 
Stats: 
HGP: 
COI: 
Bloodstock Type: 
Offspring: 
Records: 
Breed Standard: 
Creation Breeds: 
Training %: 
Current Total Earnings: 
Competition Specialty: 
Genetic Color: 
Conformation Scores: 

Topics that have additional information that may prove useful or helpful for sales:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =12&t=7299
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =12&t=7313

This section deals with Stud ads. As stud ad information does tend to differ with what's important, I'm separating this and offering a different copy & paste section for this as well. Again, there is a half-filled out one and also a blank one.

Titles are very important and can be very helpful, don't forget to include them, just like photos. This is the copy & paste standing ad that's half filled in. Just delete the information that isn't useful or is untrue about your stud. Of course, you can add or change whatever you find necessary. This is just a template to help you along.
To copy & paste, click the select all at the top of the box, then right click on the highlighted text and choose copy. Move to your stud ad, right click in the description box and choose paste.

Title: Competition Bloodline - Grinder Producer - High Stat Stud - Color Stud - Quest/Recipe Stud
Build: Horse - Pony
Size/Type: 
Born Temperament: Unknown - Bombproof - Calm - Even - Spirited - High Strung
Temperament Type: Free - Slow Moving - Stuck (proven or apparent)
Report: No Negative - AC Style - All Neutral - All Positive
Stats: golds - greens - reds
HGP: 
COI: %
Bloodstock Type: Foundation - Blooded - AC stock
Records: None
Breed Standard: 
Creation Breeds: 
Current Total Earnings: $
Competition Specialty: None/Unknown
Genetic Color: 
Conformation Scores: Strength -  
Speed - 
Stamina - 
Movement - 
Tempo - 
Balance - 
Agile - 
Foal Production: High Color - High Stat - Excellent/Solid Competitors - Proven Recipe for (insert foal breeds) - Favors Light Build- Favors Heavy Build - Favors Tall - Favors Short
Titles are very important and can be very helpful, don't forget to include them, just like photos. This is the copy & paste standing ad that's blank. This is just a template to help you along.

Build: 
Size/Type: 
Born Temperament: 
Temperament Type: 
Report: 
Stats: 
HGP: 
COI: 
Bloodstock Type: 
Records: 
Breed Standard: 
Creation Breeds: 
Current Total Earnings: 
Competition Specialty: 
Genetic Color: 
Conformation Scores: 
Foal Production Notes: 
Okay, so I hope this helps those always scratching their heads on how to write up a sales or stud ad. I do so often enough myself, so I'll be using this from time to time too.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenEagle Boarding
Visit My Farm

Re: Creating Sale & Stud Ads Help

Post by GoldenEagle Boarding »

OK! Also, is there a way to color the words on your sale ad?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

GoldenEagle Boarding wrote:OK! Also, is there a way to color the words on your sale ad?
Yes, we can use BBCode on the sales ad as well.
The easiest way to make it work is to use a forum post, make the ad you want, then copy and paste it over into the sales ad. At the very least, this has worked for other players. I haven't actually tried it yet. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
GoldenEagle Boarding
Visit My Farm

Post by GoldenEagle Boarding »

BlackOak2 wrote:
GoldenEagle Boarding wrote:OK! Also, is there a way to color the words on your sale ad?
Yes, we can use BBCode on the sales ad as well.
The easiest way to make it work is to use a forum post, make the ad you want, then copy and paste it over into the sales ad. At the very least, this has worked for other players. I haven't actually tried it yet. :D
Alright, Thank you!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Bumping
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Jonny22
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Jonny22 »

Thanks for the info

Last bumped by BlackOak2 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:36 am.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:02 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:02 am