The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Closed

Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Closed

Post by Sawd10 »

-
Last edited by Sawd10 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Feeding & Temperament Guide

Post by BlackOak2 »

Sawd10 wrote:...
Some suggestions for this great guide.

First, change the color for the green word higher in the temperament section. There is no way to read it, perhaps a dark green opposed to a light green.

Second, because of sheer volume, I recommend that you switch the:
"1st: Hay
2nd: Alfalfa hay
3rd: Alfalfa Cubes"

Over to:

"1st: Alfalfa Cubes
3rd: Hay"

Especially since there isn't an apparent difference between feeding cubes, alfalfa hay or regular hay, moving the cubes to first place enables the most availability to eat, thus maximizing fiber intake.

I could also suggest, as the third suggestions, that you include grass, because by far grass gives the most fiber intake. I suggest this for a couple reasons. Foremost, it can be easily forgotten, even though we don't actually choose it to feed to the horse. Also, it's an important 'supplement' as when we can't force the horse to eat enough, the horse can generally eat enough without aid. And lastly, it reminds us that when everything else fails, the grass is still there.
But of course, adding grass to available feed is at your discretion. You could always add a footnote about it instead.

And lastly, before I forget, you have a spelling error that I caught.
In this line: Alfalfa Hay: A Nicd, green, luscious hay. It gives more protein than Hay. It also gives lots of Fiber.

Otherwise, thanks for the addition! :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Sawd10 wrote:...
Some suggestions for this great guide.

First, change the color for the green word higher in the temperament section. There is no way to read it, perhaps a dark green opposed to a light green.

Second, because of sheer volume, I recommend that you switch the:
"1st: Hay
3rd: Alfalfa Cubes"

Over to:

"1st: Alfalfa Cubes
3rd: Hay"

Especially since there isn't an apparent difference between feeding cubes, alfalfa hay or regular hay, moving the cubes to first place enables the most availability to eat, thus maximizing fiber intake.

I could also suggest, as the third suggestions, that you include grass, because by far grass gives the most fiber intake. I suggest this for a couple reasons. Foremost, it can be easily forgotten, even though we don't actually choose it to feed to the horse. Also, it's an important 'supplement' as when we can't force the horse to eat enough, the horse can generally eat enough without aid. And lastly, it reminds us that when everything else fails, the grass is still there.
But of course, adding grass to available feed is at your discretion. You could always add a footnote about it instead.

And lastly, before I forget, you have a spelling error that I caught.
In this line: Alfalfa Hay: A Nicd, green, luscious hay. It gives more protein than Hay. It also gives lots of Fiber.

Otherwise, thanks for the addition! :D
Your welcome! I'll fix It when I can... And thank you!
amandawg
Visit My Farm

Post by amandawg »

Thank you for this! SO knowledgeable. All new information for me, and I think it even gave me insight to myself!?

Any other charts or info you have to offer I will eat up!
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

amandawg wrote:Thank you for this! SO knowledgeable. All new information for me, and I think it even gave me insight to myself!?

Any other charts or info you have to offer I will eat up!
Of course! I will be making more, but for the meantime, here's another one: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 12&t=18675
A wise man once said nothing at all.
DutchWarmbloodLover
Visit My Farm

Post by DutchWarmbloodLover »

Sawd10 wrote:
Hello! I love making guides for people.. So, here is another one!

FEEDING

Okay. Feeding is fairly easy.. As you know, there is 8 different feeds:
Hay: Hay. Just your regular hay. Excels in giving your horse Fiber. Also gives a fair amount of protein. I will get into what Fiber, Sugar, and Protein does soon.
Alfalfa Hay: A Nicd, green, luscious hay. It gives more protein than Hay. It also gives lots of Fiber.
Alfalfa Cubes: Delicious bites for your horses. These you would think have lots of sugar. They actually do not. They are VERY similar to Alfalfa hay; Lots of fiber, good amount of protein.
Yellow Corn: Ah, yes.. Your bright, yellow corn. Yellow Corn gives your horse A LOT of sugar! It also does not give very much protein. There is not too much fiber in Yellow Corn.
Oats: Oatmeal.. Hah. Similar to Yellow Corn except a little less Sugar and a little more fiber.
Sweet Feed: Dont try to eat it! (I have a horse and other animals and I try their feeds and Sweet Feed is BITTER)! It is very similar to the Oats. Just a little more sugar and fiber.
Performance Mix: Lots of times used before shows IRL. Performance Mix is pretty much balanced out. It's got a good amount of everything. It is also the feed with the most Protein!
Weight Gain Mix: Pretty much speaks for itself! It will help your horse gain weight. It has a lot of sugar and fiber and does not have much protein AT ALL.

So, I'm gonna jump into temperaments and then I will get back to this.

TEMPERAMENTS

There is 5 different Temperament s for your horse to have...
Bombproof
Calm
Even-Tempered
Spirited
High Strung.

Now, the more sugar give to your horse the Higher the horses temperament will go (if your horse was say... Bombproof and you keep giving it sugar then it will raise them to even-tempered then spirited and then High Strung)
If you keep feeding it fiber then it's temp will go down (Your horse is high strung and you keep feeding it fiber it's temp will go down, down, down all the way to bombproof).
*If your horse was born Bombproof it's temp might not always change.
Good for getting your horse lots of sugar: (these are placed 1st, second, third).
1st: Yellow Corn
2nd: Sweet Feed
3rd: Oats
Good for getting your horse lots of Fiber: (These are placed 1st, second, third).
1st: Hay
3rd: Alfalfa Cubes
Don't care (meaning you don't really care for your horses temp and you want it to keep weight). These are placed 1st, second, third).
1st: Performance Mix
2nd: Weight Gain Mix

I can give a chart for what temps are good for and for what weight if good for your horses competing if you guys tell whether you want that or not.
Thanks for reading and I hope this helped!
have a good day,
Sawd10
Thanks for the tips!
Sawd10
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sawd10 »

DutchWarmbloodLover wrote:
Sawd10 wrote:
Hello! I love making guides for people.. So, here is another one!

FEEDING

Okay. Feeding is fairly easy.. As you know, there is 8 different feeds:
Hay: Hay. Just your regular hay. Excels in giving your horse Fiber. Also gives a fair amount of protein. I will get into what Fiber, Sugar, and Protein does soon.
Alfalfa Hay: A Nicd, green, luscious hay. It gives more protein than Hay. It also gives lots of Fiber.
Alfalfa Cubes: Delicious bites for your horses. These you would think have lots of sugar. They actually do not. They are VERY similar to Alfalfa hay; Lots of fiber, good amount of protein.
Yellow Corn: Ah, yes.. Your bright, yellow corn. Yellow Corn gives your horse A LOT of sugar! It also does not give very much protein. There is not too much fiber in Yellow Corn.
Oats: Oatmeal.. Hah. Similar to Yellow Corn except a little less Sugar and a little more fiber.
Sweet Feed: Dont try to eat it! (I have a horse and other animals and I try their feeds and Sweet Feed is BITTER)! It is very similar to the Oats. Just a little more sugar and fiber.
Performance Mix: Lots of times used before shows IRL. Performance Mix is pretty much balanced out. It's got a good amount of everything. It is also the feed with the most Protein!
Weight Gain Mix: Pretty much speaks for itself! It will help your horse gain weight. It has a lot of sugar and fiber and does not have much protein AT ALL.

So, I'm gonna jump into temperaments and then I will get back to this.

TEMPERAMENTS

There is 5 different Temperament s for your horse to have...
Bombproof
Calm
Even-Tempered
Spirited
High Strung.

Now, the more sugar give to your horse the Higher the horses temperament will go (if your horse was say... Bombproof and you keep giving it sugar then it will raise them to even-tempered then spirited and then High Strung)
If you keep feeding it fiber then it's temp will go down (Your horse is high strung and you keep feeding it fiber it's temp will go down, down, down all the way to bombproof).
*If your horse was born Bombproof it's temp might not always change.
Good for getting your horse lots of sugar: (these are placed 1st, second, third).
1st: Yellow Corn
2nd: Sweet Feed
Good for getting your horse lots of Fiber: (These are placed 1st, second, third).
1st: Hay
3rd: Alfalfa Cubes
Don't care (meaning you don't really care for your horses temp and you want it to keep weight). These are placed 1st, second, third).
1st: Performance Mix
2nd: Weight Gain Mix

I can give a chart for what temps are good for and for what weight if good for your horses competing if you guys tell whether you want that or not.
Thanks for reading and I hope this helped!
have a good day,
Sawd10
Thanks for the tips!
Of course! :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:48 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:48 am