The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Another color typing question. I think I have the color right for my future stud, but please let me know your thoughts.

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm

Another color typing question. I think I have the color right for my future stud, but please let me know your thoughts.

Post by JillJessie1997 »

The colt in question. He is a yearling, so his coat is fully "blown":

I actually studied his parents' before color typing this little guy. For his base color I say mealy chestnut (the color of his dam). I would say his markings are a full or extended blanket with some leopard pattern and snowflake. I'll link his parents below.

Sire:

Dam:

What would you say?
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: Another color typing question. I think I have the color right for my future stud, but please let me know your though

Post by Raikit »

JillJessie1997 wrote:What would you say?
Looks like mealy chestnut to me as well. His pattern is a little harder to name - probably best called either just extended blanket or appaloosa spotting (of course with snowflakes :)). For the record, leopard can actually refer to any expression of the Lp gene because the gene itself is sometimes referred to as the leopard gene. Most people only use leopard to refer to full body white with spots that are larger than fewspot/snowcap size, though. :)
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm

Re: Another color typing question. I think I have the color right for my future stud, but please let me know your though

Post by JillJessie1997 »

Raikit wrote:
JillJessie1997 wrote:What would you say?
Looks like mealy chestnut to me as well. His pattern is a little harder to name - probably best called either just extended blanket or appaloosa spotting (of course with snowflakes :)). For the record, leopard can actually refer to any expression of the Lp gene because the gene itself is sometimes referred to as the leopard gene. Most people only use leopard to refer to full body white with spots that are larger than fewspot/snowcap size, though. :)
Ah okay! I was under the impression leopard pattern is just a bunch of spotting, not a gene itself. The things you think you know but really don't. I feel good knowing I got his color right though. Thank you for the reply :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:43 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:43 pm