The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Just curious regarding dun expressions

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Just curious regarding dun expressions

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Nazarach wrote:
thats right ^^' i was blaming it on the sire as he has smoky black pearl as coloring, but looking at his offspring there seem to be more bucks and cream dillutions - not necessarily cr/prl - guess he rather smoky cream than smoky black pearl :/
Both of his parents are buckskins.
It's a difficult gene to keep and breed, but makes gorgeously colored horses.
If you want to breed into or breed for a new line of pearls, only the NAB in the Adoption Center carry the gene (if you want to start from scratch). To raise your chances of getting pearl carriers, look for the ones that already look like double creams, and perhaps that seem that their color is 'just off', like 'just a little too light'.
If you don't want to start from scratch, there are a few out there already that are double pearl for stud or sale. If you need a bit more help, I can certainly look some up for you (for stud or sale).

Good Luck!
Many thanks :D There are a few really beautyfull horses, but for now i'll just go for slowly raising stats and blacks for my abyssinians; as i'm still fairly new and genetics (if a tad frustrating at times) is a favourite pasttime of mine I just want to guess and look what comes out ;)
But I'll remember if I get bored with plain blacks and dwelfe into pearls ^^

Good Luck to you too :3
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

So, another ^^
I just got a couple Black Duns / grullas - and now there is one lady that has cream as well
Dark Skyline

is the color called smoky grulla or smoky black dun?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:So, another ^^
I just got a couple Black Duns / grullas - and now there is one lady that has cream as well

Black Dun and grulla are synonymous, meaning they mean the same thing. Grulla (the female form) and grullo (the male form) are spanish words that I suppose the bulk of the horse community adopted to describe black dun (I could be wrong about where or how it was adopted, after all, I didn't look up the 'history of the word grulla').

I end up calling them smoky grullo (or smoky grulla, I don't differentiate between male and female forms, so I generally use grullo).

Or you could simply call them black dun, to help remind you that the horse has the dun gene. There are some color names that I do that to, just to help keep track of them.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote: Black Dun and grulla are synonymous, meaning they mean the same thing. Grulla (the female form) and grullo (the male form) are spanish words that I suppose the bulk of the horse community adopted to describe black dun (I could be wrong about where or how it was adopted, after all, I didn't look up the 'history of the word grulla').

I end up calling them smoky grullo (or smoky grulla, I don't differentiate between male and female forms, so I generally use grullo).

Or you could simply call them black dun, to help remind you that the horse has the dun gene. There are some color names that I do that to, just to help keep track of them.
Yeah, my spanish was enough for that so I can't help but be concious of the gender-ending so I just wanted to know... well, the search filter for color is not able to recognise grulla/o as a form of black, so I guess naming the "official" color Black dun would be more useful ^^'

ok, thanks for your recommendations / giving your point of view :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
Yeah, my spanish was enough for that so I can't help but be concious of the gender-ending so I just wanted to know... well, the search filter for color is not able to recognise grulla/o as a form of black, so I guess naming the "official" color Black dun would be more useful ^^'

ok, thanks for your recommendations / giving your point of view :D
Anytime! That's what the community is here for. 8-)
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Just curious as I noticed something that I think is rather unusual
Duns often have those lightened feetlocks - but these lighter areas convening in stripes I haven't seen before... I think it's cute ^^ What do you think?

meganamber2
Visit My Farm

Post by meganamber2 »

Nazarach wrote:Just curious as I noticed something that I think is rather unusual
Duns often have those lightened feetlocks - but these lighter areas convening in stripes I haven't seen before... I think it's cute ^^ What do you think?

The stripes are called zebra stripes and they are often, but not always, an indicator of dun :)
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

meganamber2 wrote:
Nazarach wrote:Just curious as I noticed something that I think is rather unusual

The stripes are called zebra stripes and they are often, but not always, an indicator of dun :)
they are often called zippers
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Nazarach wrote:So, another ^^

Black Dun and grulla are synonymous, meaning they mean the same thing. Grulla (the female form) and grullo (the male form) are spanish words that I suppose the bulk of the horse community adopted to describe black dun (I could be wrong about where or how it was adopted, after all, I didn't look up the 'history of the word grulla').

As far as I'm aware, you'll hear the distinction around the Mexican border area most, the term Grulla refers to a crane of similar color. I hear the distinctions mostly from the older mexicans in Texas, it has been adopted within the southren US as the Mexican vaquero infuenced the American Cowboy greatly.

Up north, it is called Black Dun...
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:22 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:22 am