The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

A sire and his foals

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Zebracat1234
Visit My Farm

A sire and his foals

Post by Zebracat1234 »

Alright, I have this awesome sire and I have been breeding him to cream mares and I am a little stumped to what color him and his offspring are exactly.

Sire:

Offspring:

Thanks in advance!
Chincoteague Ponies | Thoroughbreds
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: A sire and his foals

Post by BlackOak2 »

Zebracat1234 wrote:Alright, I have this awesome sire and I have been breeding him to cream mares and I am a little stumped to what color him and his offspring are exactly.

Thanks in advance!
Dilutes are not my strong point, but here goes.

Frostbite Fox appears at first to be a champagne, double pearl, but since a pearl can't hide in his dam, the most he can be is a cream & pearl... however, since he also has dark eyes, that should nix that as well as a double cream.
So I come to the conclusion that your guess is probably accurate: dappled (silver gene on black), cream and champagne.

For his son, it appears he is a champagne with silver on bay with one cream gene. It also appears he may have pangare.

His daughter appears to be on a chestnut with the champagne and one cream gene, but it also looks like she may carry the dun gene as well.

Those are my best answers.
Zebracat1234
Visit My Farm

Post by Zebracat1234 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Zebracat1234 wrote:Alright, I have this awesome sire and I have been breeding him to cream mares and I am a little stumped to what color him and his offspring are exactly.

Thanks in advance!

Frostbite Fox appears at first to be a champagne, double pearl, but since a pearl can't hide in his dam, the most he can be is a cream & pearl... however, since he also has dark eyes, that should nix that as well as a double cream.
So I come to the conclusion that your guess is probably accurate: dappled (silver gene on black), cream and champagne.

For his son, it appears he is a champagne with silver on bay with one cream gene. It also appears he may have pangare.

His daughter appears to be on a chestnut with the champagne and one cream gene, but it also looks like she may carry the dun gene as well.

Thank you, I've been trying to figure it out myself and didn't really get anywhere lol.
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

Sire:

Offspring:

Thanks in advance!
I would say the second one is metallic Perlino not champagne diluted
And/ seems to have pangare as well
Zebracat1234
Visit My Farm

Post by Zebracat1234 »

LlamaLlama99 wrote:

Sire:

Offspring:

Thanks in advance!
I would say the second one is metallic Perlino not champagne diluted
You know, I was thinking the same thing until I compared him to one of my metallic perlino thoroughbred stallions; there is definitely a difference.

LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

Zebracat1234 wrote:
LlamaLlama99 wrote: I would say the second one is metallic Perlino not champagne diluted
You know, I was thinking the same thing until I compared him to one of my metallic perlino thoroughbred stallions; there is definitely a difference.

I don’t know there is a huge variety of shades in the game and metallicness ( I can’t think of a word :lol:) can in some way distort the colour slightly depending on strength of the metallic factor.
It’s just that I definetly don’t see any Champagne indicators like freckles becyae they are usually very obvious unlike dun markings that can vary a lot.

The only real difference I see on those horses is the mane. There is also a lot of bay indicators too (dark points on ears, legs and muzzle)

Hope we figure something out!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

LlamaLlama99 wrote:
Zebracat1234 wrote:...
I don’t know there is a huge variety of shades in the game and metallicness ( I can’t think of a word :lol:) can in some way distort the colour slightly depending on strength of the metallic factor.
It’s just that I definetly don’t see any Champagne indicators like freckles becyae they are usually very obvious unlike dun markings that can vary a lot.

The only real difference I see on those horses is the mane. There is also a lot of bay indicators too (dark points on ears, legs and muzzle)

Don't forget, when champagne is paired with cream, it lightens the freckles to the point of disappearing. However, it's entirely possible that you're correct.

This one's a champagne on I think double pearl on a black coat.

What I was going off of, is that champagne foals are born with light eyes that darken as they age. But like I said, dilutions are not my strong suit.
Good Luck.
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
LlamaLlama99 wrote:

Don't forget, when champagne is paired with cream, it lightens the freckles to the point of disappearing. However, it's entirely possible that you're correct.

What I was going off of, is that champagne foals are born with light eyes that darken as they age. But like I said, dilutions are not my strong suit.
Good Luck.
That is true but I still just can’t see Champagne there...
The freckling does get lighter but is still usually quite apparent if you zoom into its muzzle and the gradually darkening eyes don’t appear to be taking place on the foal, his eyes remained a vibrant emerald green colour from birth.
This is very troubling because everything seems to lead me to metallic perlino apart from the light mane. Is it possible to have pangare/mealy effect mane and tail colour? I don’t think it does but that seems to be the only way to have a flaxen coloured mane on a perlino. Silver in this game makes the manes a silver colour so I can’t think that would be a possibility and flaxen doesn’t effect bay based horses...

PS. The mare you showed I think isn’t actually double pearl, two creams on a champagne horse makes it extremely white so it is entirely possible that she is ‘Silver Classic (double) Cream’ :D my Lippizaner are an example of champagnes turned into basically white because of double cream but no pearl.
LM Snow Eclipse
wasn’t sure about base colour but defo double cream and champagne no pearl :D
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I'm going to jump in here because I have experience with these exact colors.

The sire is Silver Classic Smoky Cream - black + silver + champagne + 2xcream. His eyes are darker because the eyes of champagne horses can darken with age, especially when affected by tiger eye as his appear to be. He only has four living foals, but every single one of them is double cream, lending weight to the theory of him being double cream as well. (For the two foals you didn't ask about, his first foal is Silver Smoky Cream (black + silver + 2xcream) and the other is Cremello Champagne (chestnut + champagne + 2xcream)).

The son is a mildly sooty silver perlino - bay + silver + 2xcream. His muzzle would not be so solidly dark if he had champagne. His legs would also be much lighter, to the point that they could possibly be lighter than the body. Even bay-based champagnes with a single cream exhibit incredibly diluted lower legs. This boy also has the dark spot behind the eye and on the tips of his ears that is indicative of perlino.

Questionable Fox is the most mysterious of the bunch. Her dam is a cremello, so its possible that she's chestnut-based, but her coat has too much blue in it for me to believe that's the case. If she was a cremello champagne she would look more like her sister. Instead, I believe she is Classic Smoky Cream (black + champage + 2xcream), the same color as her sire minus the silver.

All of these horses are affected by tiger eye to at least some extent, so relying on their eyes to determine dilutions can be misleading, especially combined with champagne.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:

Good Luck.
This girl is Silver Classic Smoky Cream. Her sire is a silver perlino and her dam is a cryptic classic silver. She also exhibits the mock pangare that can be found on silver blacks.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:59 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:59 am