The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Unusual Coloration Clarification

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Unusual Coloration Clarification

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Very, very possible. Rather probable. I didn't add any roan to that study to keep it very basic.
Either way, it's a pretty color. :)
Indeed!
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:
Either way, it's a pretty color. :)
Indeed!
Sorry to bump this again, but I kept going back and forth as to how I knew that horse couldn't be pearl. I finally figured it out. It's these two:

The first is a silver dapple pearl and the second is a smoky silver grulla pearl (w/ varnish). The pearl acts a lot like cream when it comes to adding silver (meaning double-pearl silvers and cream-pearl silvers look a lot like double-cream silvers). Pearl also adds pink skin, which he didn't have.

Anyway, just had to get that out of my brain. It was really bugging me. :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Indeed!
Sorry to bump this again, but I kept going back and forth as to how I knew that horse couldn't be pearl. I finally figured it out. It's these two:

The first is a silver dapple pearl and the second is a smoky silver grulla pearl (w/ varnish). The pearl acts a lot like cream when it comes to adding silver (meaning double-pearl silvers and cream-pearl silvers look a lot like double-cream silvers). Pearl also adds pink skin, which he didn't have.

Anyway, just had to get that out of my brain. It was really bugging me. :lol:
The pink skin!
Insert some interesting verbiage.... like 'pink elephants dance under tie-dye skies!'

Why is it I always forget about that pink skin?
I don't mind you bumping again.
I was looking at that stallion again and it's just so odd why he looks bronzy.
There is simply no way he could be a double dilute. Even though he carries it in his ancestors. (Pink skin... remember pink skin...)
However, he does have tiger eye and he does have roan. It's still a mystery to me about that shading. His ancestors also carry dun, but again I don't really see him expressing that. Dun I suppose couldcause this unusual shading. But again... I don't really see any indication of it, including his parents, so he can't express something he doesn't have.

So I come back to the tiger eye and roan on the black and silver. Just like my mare above, could his color combinations make this occur? I don't know exactly how tiger eye affects the coat, I was under the impression it was a one way street of the coat affecting tiger eye.
If he carried leopard complex bronze, that might explain his color, but I don't see that in his pedigree either.
So... I must determine he does not have dilution, nor leopard complex and it is simply an unusual combination of silver, black, roan and perhaps tiger eye.

You know, if you didn't bump again, I'd be scratching my head about that pearl even now. I really don't understand why remembering pink skin is beyond me. :oops: I still do it all the time.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
I often forget about it unless I'm looking at it.

And I could swear I've seen a black-based horse with that same tint somewhere before but for the life of me I can't find him now. I'll do my best to see if I can locate it.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I often forget about it unless I'm looking at it.

And I could swear I've seen a black-based horse with that same tint somewhere before but for the life of me I can't find him now. I'll do my best to see if I can locate it.
No biggie. If in your regular gameplay, you find it again, great! But certainly don't go out of your way for it. There are so many horses on this site already.

However, I do think we need a forum for only unusually colored horses. We can save them in our own spot, and we have already done some of them (like that cute leopard complex foal that was whiter than it's pattern!), but perhaps just a whole forum for Just Photos.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:However, I do think we need a forum for only unusually colored horses. We can save them in our own spot, and we have already done some of them (like that cute leopard complex foal that was whiter than it's pattern!), but perhaps just a whole forum for Just Photos.
Or maybe just a sticky topic for now. Either way, some place to put them all. XD
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:However, I do think we need a forum for only unusually colored horses. We can save them in our own spot, and we have already done some of them (like that cute leopard complex foal that was whiter than it's pattern!), but perhaps just a whole forum for Just Photos.
Or maybe just a sticky topic for now. Either way, some place to put them all. XD
Maybe I will do that. I'll just put it in chitchat. If it becomes something bigger, great!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:37 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:37 am