The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

"Sooty" gene on palomino -- please join in!

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Xant’hippe
Visit My Farm

"Sooty" gene on palomino -- please join in!

Post by Xant’hippe »

This is about the Sooty gene and one of the entrants in "Pine Valley Beauty Contest #2".
MoonTurkmenes wrote:Hey! Back again!

Golden Victory

Idk why but her backside is way darker than her body :?: :?: :?:
Nice to see a daughter of one of my stallions. The darkening you see indicates the "Sooty" gene. (See "Quick Guide by Ancient Breed" in this topic; it lists possible genes for the 9 Adoption Center breeds. Only Belgian, Caspian, and Przewalski do not carry Sooty.) The blackening of the hairs can start at the hindquarters and move forward or from the forehand to the hindquarters; the coat can also shade from the topside down (even combining with the other two progressions). This becomes more intense and extensive as the horse ages. If it starts early, a bay horse can look very much like a brown by the time it reaches 4 years. In others it doesn't show until the horse is 5 years old or more.

:?: Here's a link to a part Baladi stallion, CP Shu, who was late-onset Sooty Palomino. His Gallery images show him as brightly-colored, with a white mane and tail, while young -- then darkening through maturity. To me it looks like this starts at 4.46 years, with some subtle shading. The mane and tail are affected fairly early, and the coat gets darker, partly back-to-front and partly top-down.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/48284

CP Shu

Anyone else want to add to this? :)
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: "Sooty" gene on palomino -- please join in!

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

I've noticed that a new born foal (regardless of color) that has extreme 'mealy' typically sootys up pretty darkly.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
MoonTurkmenes
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by MoonTurkmenes »

Xant’hippe wrote:This is about the Sooty gene and one of the entrants in "Pine Valley Beauty Contest #2".
MoonTurkmenes wrote:Hey! Back again!

Golden Victory

Idk why but her backside is way darker than her body :?: :?: :?:
Nice to see a daughter of one of my stallions. The darkening you see indicates the "Sooty" gene. (See "Quick Guide by Ancient Breed" in this topic; it lists possible genes for the 9 Adoption Center breeds. Only Belgian, Caspian, and Przewalski do not carry Sooty.) The blackening of the hairs can start at the hindquarters and move forward or from the forehand to the hindquarters; the coat can also shade from the topside down (even combining with the other two progressions). This becomes more intense and extensive as the horse ages. If it starts early, a bay horse can look very much like a brown by the time it reaches 4 years. In others it doesn't show until the horse is 5 years old or more.

:?: Here's a link to a part Baladi stallion, CP Shu, who was late-onset Sooty Palomino. His Gallery images show him as brightly-colored, with a white mane and tail, while young -- then darkening through maturity. To me it looks like this starts at 4.46 years, with some subtle shading. The mane and tail are affected fairly early, and the coat gets darker, partly back-to-front and partly top-down.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/48284

CP Shu

Anyone else want to add to this? :)
Oh, that explains it. I've actually seen a Sooty Buckskin ( if that even exists ). This is the sooty Campolina stallion, Motus:

At least, I think it's the same thing happening here.
Scythian
Visit My Farm

Post by Scythian »

Yes, that looks like the front-to-back Sooty ... looking at Motus' Gallery, I see she was born with that dark zone, looking like a partial eclipse. It's not so common to see the forehand (or any body region, really) that dark that early. Another unexpected thing is that so far, the area hasn't increased.

Hard to think of any other form of shading that could be. It wouldn't be varnish (?); that always takes a couple of years past birth, again, as far as I know.

Anyone else out there?

S :)
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

caspian

This was a caspian I used to own so I do believe caspian can have sooty. She does trace bach to the adoption center.
MoonTurkmenes
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by MoonTurkmenes »

The daughter of my first sooty palomino is sooty as well. It seems her sooty palomino gene is dominant:
Golden Key

Or maybe the slightly sooty spot comes from her sire, who is Jet-Black?
Stormchase Stables
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Stormchase Stables »

I found an extremely sooty horse, I don't even know if it's the sooty gene anymore. He's so dark in some places it looks like he's green..
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1071624
Sadly the pictures of him aren't up to date so you can't see his sootines if I use the [horse=][/horse] button.
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

Stormchase Stables wrote:I found an extremely sooty horse, I don't even know if it's the sooty gene anymore. He's so dark in some places it looks like he's green..
Sadly the pictures of him aren't up to date so you can't see his sootines if I use the [horse=][/horse] button.
Your horse is not sooty, that is the varnish from the LP gene aka appaloosa coloring
Stormchase Stables
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Stormchase Stables »

WILD FLICKA wrote:
Stormchase Stables wrote:I found an extremely sooty horse, I don't even know if it's the sooty gene anymore. He's so dark in some places it looks like he's green..
Your horse is not sooty, that is the varnish from the LP gene aka appaloosa coloring
Ahh thank you. It does resemble the darkening that happens with the sooties though, doesn't it?
WILD FLICKA
Visit My Farm

Post by WILD FLICKA »

Stormchase Stables wrote:
WILD FLICKA wrote: Your horse is not sooty, that is the varnish from the LP gene aka appaloosa coloring
Ahh thank you. It does resemble the darkening that happens with the sooties though, doesn't it?
It is more of a different kind, varnish can affect a horse a little different, sooty darkens while varnish can "bronze" a horse or make it look more grey or sometimes greenish which is what yours did.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:17 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:17 pm