The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Is "White" a color?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Thatgirlwhorides
Visit My Farm

Is "White" a color?

Post by Thatgirlwhorides »

Help! I've looked up what like-colored horses seem to be categorized as, and they all say "white" - that seems too simple :lol: What would y'all call him? I know he's greying on top of it, which has caused darkening/dappling on his face and body (see his foal pics for the difference), but I don't have a clue what to call his base color.

Kingofthenorth
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Is "White" a color?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Thatgirlwhorides wrote:Help! I've looked up what like-colored horses seem to be categorized as, and they all say "white" - that seems too simple :lol: What would y'all call him? I know he's greying on top of it, which has caused darkening/dappling on his face and body (see his foal pics for the difference), but I don't have a clue what to call his base color.
Generally, speaking (if you don't know or don't remember) all of our white horses are not white by genetics, so I agree with you, calling them white is... not exactly correct, pseudo-white would be a better definition. They are all some sort of double dilution from either pearl, cream or also champagne. I don't think a double champagne without double cream or pearl or cream and pearl can be as light as to be considered white-looking.

I'm not great on my dilutes, but Silverine usually comes along and corrects when I'm wrong. :D So I do give attempting to figure them out a try on occasion.

There's definitely champagne and also appears to be tiger eye. It looks like your horse has dapples which generally means it's a silver on black (if it was caused by sooty, there would be some sign of dark).
There may be something else going on. His bright legs are extremely bright, so perhaps he also has some sort of dun or the dapple-based pangare.

So black-based, with silver, champagne and either double cream, double pearl or cream and pearl. And a single tiger eye. I would expect the tiger eye to be much brighter green if there were two copies. Or much brighter blue if there was no tiger eye.
I'm not sure about the gray. I do see a change in bright coloration around the head and neck as the colt aged, but until he gets much older, I personally would hold off on calling him a graying colt.
Aliw1995
Visit My Farm

Post by Aliw1995 »

Thatgirlwhorides wrote:Help! I've looked up what like-colored horses seem to be categorized as, and they all say "white" - that seems too simple :lol: What would y'all call him? I know he's greying on top of it, which has caused darkening/dappling on his face and body (see his foal pics for the difference), but I don't have a clue what to call his base color.

Kingofthenorth

Hes silver amber cream champagne thats greying out :)
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Aliw1995 wrote:
Thatgirlwhorides wrote: Kingofthenorth

Hes silver amber cream champagne thats greying out :)
BlackOak2 wrote:
I agree with the grey, but not the amber cream. Even with silver, the body of an amber cream would not be that light (especially as the yellow color of the body would not be affected by the silver). I would be more inclined to agree with BlackOak2 that he is black-based. Silver Smoky Cream Champagne under Grey seems to be very popular with the people that go for "white" horses.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:59 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:59 am