The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What colour is he?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Parsnip
Visit My Farm

What colour is he?

Post by Parsnip »

I've just bought a new stallion Coffee
and can't work out what colour he is. I'm guessing bay champagne, but I'm not sure.
Any ideas?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: What colour is he?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Parsnip wrote:I've just bought a new stallion Coffee
and can't work out what colour he is. I'm guessing bay champagne, but I'm not sure.
Any ideas?
Personally, I'm leaning toward classic champagne. Mother is on an agouti base and father seems to be on black base, so I'd say he's on black base as well. The reason his feathers, mane and tail are light, is because of the Lp varnish. I also don't see any other distinguishing features beyond tiger eye (only one gene I think), like dun or pangare. So... simple classic champagne with snowflakes.
Parsnip
Visit My Farm

Post by Parsnip »

Thanks.
Meyersdale
Visit My Farm

Post by Meyersdale »

Dixy

how do i past this color on into her foals once she gets to breeding age?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Meyersdale wrote: how do i past this color on into her foals once she gets to breeding age?
You can breed her back to her father. You'll have the same green eyes, most likely the same coat and you have a 25% chance of getting the fewspot pattern again (I think... my math today isn't too strong). What may also happen is expansion of the pattern.
If you don't want to inbreed her, you'll need to find a golden-color coated stud.
Double creams, double pearls or a cream & pearl.
Stay away from champagnes, if her foal inherits a champagne gene, it will likely look white instead of pale-gold.
If you want to keep the green eyes, you'll need to find a single or double tiger eye carrier. The trouble with this is single tiger eyes only express themselves when paired with a champagne gene. So you'll be looking for green or hazel-green eyes for the double tiger and no freckles on the muzzle. Not just blue eyes.

I actually think that she's a pearl carrier and not a double cream carrier. Her mother would have had to offer her one cream gene for her to be a cremello, but since her mother isn't a buckskin, then she couldn't have two cream genes. She's either a double pearl or a cream & pearl.
She's a double carrier of a couple different genes, so she'll pass on one gene every time. All of her offspring will always have at least one dilution gene, one tiger eye and one Lp pattern.

Apricot (double pearl), usually offers the brightest golden colors. Double pearl offers dark eyes with pink skin. This may be the reason that Dixy's bloodline has such bright green eyes. I do not know what eye color rules out which or if it offers another eye color when both are trying to express themselves.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 pm