The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

perhaps pearl?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

perhaps pearl?

Post by Nazarach »

Sedge

can someone help me figuring out his color? I guess he is double pearl because there are no freckles[?] as there should be when champagne, the sire and dam can't be creme or champagne as they are no buckskins / no amber champs - so double pearl (n/prl for his parents) seems to be the only one left?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: perhaps pearl?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
can someone help me figuring out his color? I guess he is double pearl because there are no freckles[?] as there should be when champagne, the sire and dam can't be creme or champagne as they are no buckskins / no amber champs - so double pearl (n/prl for his parents) seems to be the only one left?
There are hints.
A champagne foal will have blue eyes that darken as they grow up.
Pearl hides until two copies appear.
Cream offers dark skin and dark eyes with one gene, but changes the red coloration of the coat yellow or golden (except black which only offers a gray foal instead of a reddish-black foal).
Two creams or cream and pearl offers pink skin and blue eyes.

Pearl (when there's two copies), looks much like two creams (or cream and pearl), except that the eyes won't be blue. Two pearls still offers pink skin.

So, if the foal (or adult coated horse) appears to look like a double cream (or cream/pearl), but has dark eyes, you are correct, it's highly likely a double pearl, especially when both parents offer no indication of any other dilution.

I would say that Sedge is a double pearl on bay with dun. Or a Bay Pearl Dun.

Also, NAB from the Adoption Center is the only breed carrying pearl. So since you have a few of them already in your line on both sides (and they're decently close to your foal), it's the likely culprit.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Nazarach wrote:
There are hints.
A champagne foal will have blue eyes that darken as they grow up.
Pearl hides until two copies appear.
Cream offers dark skin and dark eyes with one gene, but changes the red coloration of the coat yellow or golden (except black which only offers a gray foal instead of a reddish-black foal).
Two creams or cream and pearl offers pink skin and blue eyes.

Pearl (when there's two copies), looks much like two creams (or cream and pearl), except that the eyes won't be blue. Two pearls still offers pink skin.

So, if the foal (or adult coated horse) appears to look like a double cream (or cream/pearl), but has dark eyes, you are correct, it's highly likely a double pearl, especially when both parents offer no indication of any other dilution.

I would say that Sedge is a double pearl on bay with dun. Or a Bay Pearl Dun.

Also, NAB from the Adoption Center is the only breed carrying pearl. So since you have a few of them already in your line on both sides (and they're decently close to your foal), it's the likely culprit.
makes sense, i couldn't guess otherwise as well ^^' espacially the eyes threw me of...
didn't know about that "speciality" regarding pearl on NAB so thats good to know :) many thanks! \^o^/
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

ok, another one I strongly suspect to be pearl-something...

Shizuka

the freckles were only visible as she passed about 10 months, so there is champagne too (from her dam as the sire was visibly black, no cream cause he wasn't a grey foal) he should carry one pearl (his dam is smoky black pearl) but the really white-ish color is puzzling - could it be related to the lp?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Nazarach wrote:ok, another one I strongly suspect to be pearl-something...

Shizuka

the freckles were only visible as she passed about 10 months, so there is champagne too (from her dam as the sire was visibly black, no cream cause he wasn't a grey foal) he should carry one pearl (his dam is smoky black pearl) but the really white-ish color is puzzling - could it be related to the lp?
The very light coloring is probably due to hidden pearl on both of the parents, making your filly a double-pearl classic champagne (Classic Champagne Pearl). Visibly, her sire is black. But the sire's dam is a cream-pearl dilute, and since he didn't get the cream (we would be able to tell by his baby picture) he must be carrying pearl. The dam is classic champagne. Her sire was a cream-pearl, and since she didn't get the cream she must have gotten the pearl.

The Lp varnishing will cause your filly to lighten as she ages, but will not begin to show until she is at least 1 year old.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Silverine wrote:
Nazarach wrote:ok, another one I strongly suspect to be pearl-something...

Shizuka

The very light coloring is probably due to hidden pearl on both of the parents, making your filly a double-pearl classic champagne (Classic Champagne Pearl). Visibly, her sire is black. But the sire's dam is a cream-pearl dilute, and since he didn't get the cream (we would be able to tell by his baby picture) he must be carrying pearl. The dam is classic champagne. Her sire was a cream-pearl, and since she didn't get the cream she must have gotten the pearl.

The Lp varnishing will cause your filly to lighten as she ages, but will not begin to show until she is at least 1 year old.
ok, thanks for the explanation :D i will be curious as to how light she will become ^^
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm