The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What color are my horses?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
sarachancelucky
Visit My Farm

What color are my horses?

Post by sarachancelucky »

I was wondering what color she'd be?

Driftwood Heart

Here's her half brother. I believe he's a Silver Bay Dun?:

The Art of Anesthesia

And here is their mother. Palomino correct?:

Summer Never Came

Thank you for the help! :D
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: What color are my horses?

Post by Silverine »

sarachancelucky wrote:
The links you posted are incorrect, but I checked out the horses in your fields.

Summer Never Came

This mare is listed as Palomino but she is actually Silver Buckskin Dun. That means she has a bay base diluted by a single cream, the dun gene, and the silver gene (A? E? chch Crcr D? Z?) We know she is bay-based because of her dark legs in her 1-year-old picture. A chestnut-based horse would have been the yellowish color all over or possibly with lighter colored lower legs. Her mane is also too dark for her to be palomino. A true palomino will have a bright white or just very slightly grey-ish mane. We know she has the single cream because of the yellowish color of her body. A bay without cream would be more red. A bay with two creams would be more of a creamy off-white color. Then we know she has silver because of her mane, tail, feathers, and lower legs. The silver causes her lower legs to be more brown than black and the mane, tail, and feathers to be silver in color. We know she is dun because of her dark dorsal stripe and how the color of her body is slightly faded-looking when compared to the color on her face, knees, and hocks.

Driftwood Heart

This mare is a very sooty Buckskin with Tiger Eye. That means she has a bay base diluted by a single cream gene. She also carries sooty and two copies of the tiger eye gene. Again we know that she is bay-based because of her dark legs. In her case the sooty can make it a little difficult to determine her dilutions, but her tiger eye is a dead giveaway that she is a single cream dilute. Tiger eye on a non-champagne, undiluted horse will turn the eyes green, but tiger eye on a non-champagne, single cream dilute will turn the eyes bright blue. She her blue eyes tell us she has a single cream. We know she is sooty because of how she has darkened with age, making her look gold-ish brown rather than just gold.

Someone Else

This stallion is bay with no visible dilutions.

The Art of Anesthesia

This horse is labelled correctly as a Silver Bay Dun.
sarachancelucky
Visit My Farm

Post by sarachancelucky »

Silverine wrote:
sarachancelucky wrote:
The links you posted are incorrect, but I checked out the horses in your fields.

Summer Never Came

This mare is listed as Palomino but she is actually Silver Buckskin Dun. That means she has a bay base diluted by a single cream, the dun gene, and the silver gene (A? E? chch Crcr D? Z?) We know she is bay-based because of her dark legs in her 1-year-old picture. A chestnut-based horse would have been the yellowish color all over or possibly with lighter colored lower legs. Her mane is also too dark for her to be palomino. A true palomino will have a bright white or just very slightly grey-ish mane. We know she has the single cream because of the yellowish color of her body. A bay without cream would be more red. A bay with two creams would be more of a creamy off-white color. Then we know she has silver because of her mane, tail, feathers, and lower legs. The silver causes her lower legs to be more brown than black and the mane, tail, and feathers to be silver in color. We know she is dun because of her dark dorsal stripe and how the color of her body is slightly faded-looking when compared to the color on her face, knees, and hocks.

Driftwood Heart

This mare is a very sooty Buckskin with Tiger Eye. That means she has a bay base diluted by a single cream gene. She also carries sooty and two copies of the tiger eye gene. Again we know that she is bay-based because of her dark legs. In her case the sooty can make it a little difficult to determine her dilutions, but her tiger eye is a dead giveaway that she is a single cream dilute. Tiger eye on a non-champagne, undiluted horse will turn the eyes green, but tiger eye on a non-champagne, single cream dilute will turn the eyes bright blue. She her blue eyes tell us she has a single cream. We know she is sooty because of how she has darkened with age, making her look gold-ish brown rather than just gold.

Someone Else

This stallion is bay with no visible dilutions.

The Art of Anesthesia

This horse is labelled correctly as a Silver Bay Dun.
Thank you! I'm so new to this whole horse color identification. I didn't know how the link thing worked, but I do now!
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

sarachancelucky wrote:
No problem. I'm always happy to help. :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:03 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:03 am