The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Tobiano - strange happenings...

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Tobiano - strange happenings...

Post by Nazarach »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Now that would make absolute sense, so just like Lp, it's a two-gene control, a switch for on/off and then also the actual patterning genes carried separately.

(I've also found no Lp carries without some sort of visible indicators)

I thought we had a couple players that were going to work a little on identifying some of these To genes? I was waiting to see a topic about it, but... did I miss it? All I've seen are 'favorites' patterning posts.
I read the same, but haven't seen anything come of it. The most I've seen is people focusing on facial white, but even then it just looks like people breeding them for fun/to sell them off rather than figuring the genes out. Perhaps we should make one like the leopard topic.
the two-gene control sounds like it could work for these strange cases, but more facts/research in Tobiano would be really nice... Regarding breeding for certain expressions or getting them out of a line it just seems often like to much of a hit and miss for it to be 'simply' dominant :/
And many thanks for your input, I wasn't sure if there were other cases so your feedback helps a lot :)
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

All current white markings are minimal expressions of tobiano. RL white markings have been linked to the KIT gene (tobiano, sabino, etc.) or somewhere close to it. Horses can carry genes but not express them; once crossed with another carrier, you get foals with white markings.
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

Argent wrote:All current white markings are minimal expressions of tobiano. RL white markings have been linked to the KIT gene (tobiano, sabino, etc.) or somewhere close to it. Horses can carry genes but not express them; once crossed with another carrier, you get foals with white markings.
Do you know of any studies that have linked white markings to KIT (or close)?

Last thing I heard was that it was speculated the foal's placement and the environment in the womb had some sort of effect (along with an unknown genetic component)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

Nevermind, I actually found a study linking white markings close to KIT an MITF + a couple of debates on the topic :)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

AltNazarach wrote:So, I thought Tobiano was dominant?
My mare just threw a foal that has a little sock when neither her nor the sire had a To expression...how come?

Sire http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1619760
Dam http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1378097
So I bred your boy to an AC NAB that I picked up that had no visible To, and they threw a baby with some little socks.

This is mom:

I also bred Roberto to one of my painted mares and they threw a baby with tiny socks as well, rather than the loud markings of the dam (unfortunately I didn't keep the baby, so no pics - this is the mare I bred him to). My current working theory is that Roberto carries To but no white factor. Of course the opposite could be true - the unmarked mares could be the carriers without the white factor - but it makes more sense to me that Roberto would be white factor deficient since he threw the small sock baby with my loud mare.
redster
Visit My Farm

Post by redster »

I don't know if it helps, hurts, or doesn't matter at all to the two-gene theory, but I thought it might be interesting. This little filly comes from a mare who has a couple tiny socks in her short lineage, and her sire is an AC guy who was adopted before Tobiano was released. All horses involved were Tarpans.

Tonic
Last edited by redster on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

There is, effectively, a gene for every single marking. So not two genes, but very many.
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Silverine wrote:
So I bred your boy to an AC NAB that I picked up that had no visible To, and they threw a baby with some little socks.

This is mom:

I also bred Roberto to one of my painted mares and they threw a baby with tiny socks as well, rather than the loud markings of the dam (unfortunately I didn't keep the baby, so no pics - this is the mare I bred him to). My current working theory is that Roberto carries To but no white factor. Of course the opposite could be true - the unmarked mares could be the carriers without the white factor - but it makes more sense to me that Roberto would be white factor deficient since he threw the small sock baby with my loud mare.
Thanks for an effort with your time :o it's helpfull to know that it was (very likely) the sire.
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Argent wrote:There is, effectively, a gene for every single marking. So not two genes, but very many.
You mean like a To-variant for the legs, one for the paint-markings and one for the face-markings? But how does this factor in the current case? two seemingly non-carriers having a foal with an expression when To should be dominant? :/
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

AltNazarach wrote:
Argent wrote:There is, effectively, a gene for every single marking. So not two genes, but very many.
You mean like a To-variant for the legs, one for the paint-markings and one for the face-markings? But how does this factor in the current case? two seemingly non-carriers having a foal with an expression when To should be dominant? :/
The two-gene I was referring to is the 'switch' gene. To turn the expression of the To on or off.
And the pattern gene, which really is the combination of all the rest of the patterning genes for To. This is why there is 'very many' and 'for every single marking' (at least that's what I assumed Argent refers to). This is the same way that Lp was introduced. And quite possibly works very similarly to Lp as well, such as 'when you fill your cup for certain areas, your cup overflows and begins filling other areas'. For Lp, this is how we went from hip blankets to full-coverage leopards.

But that was my suspicion and that is my theory. I don't know if I'm correct or not, but using this theory, it makes sense when applied to these horses.

When one carries To, but no switch = no markings.
When one carries switch, but on To = no markings.
When passed on to the foal, switch & To = markings.
Therefore, two totally unmarked horses, can produce a marked offspring.

That being said,
doesn't necessarily fit into the 'cup overfloweth' theory.
This foal from Redstar is the reason why it would be nice to have some research done on the To. So perhaps a bit more understanding can go into what Tobiano genes are likely to produce.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 am