The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Check my work?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Redpyre
Visit My Farm

Check my work?

Post by Redpyre »

Now that I'm a couple generations into my breeding project, I'm finally going through and nailing down exactly what genes everyone is showing, so I would love some help checking my work. For each of these guesses, I would love to know if I'm entirely correct or not, if I'm missing anything like metallic or sooty, and if I would write their color descriptions any differently than how I have them here.

Nile

Are both he and his father Mealy Metallic Wild Bay Buckskin Dun? Do they look different from each other just because they're slightly different expressions of the same genes, or did I miss something?

Cairo

Is this guy Buckskin or regular Dun? (Brother to the above horse)

Snowbird

Mealy Palomino? Metallic?

Doppio

Just Wild Bay Dun? Is there any way to know if he's sooty or just happens to be this color?

Venti

Mealy Wild Bay Buckskin Dun? And the mother is Metallic Buckskin Dun?

Goldilocks

Metallic Wild Bay Buckskin with maybe either no Dun or very sneaky Dun?

Chambray

Mealy Buckskin Dun?

Cuddles

And is she just a crazy shade of Red Dun, or is anything else going on in there?
Aela
Visit My Farm

Re: Check my work?

Post by Aela »

Redpyre wrote:Now that I'm a couple generations into my breeding project, I'm finally going through and nailing down exactly what genes everyone is showing, so I would love some help checking my work. For each of these guesses, I would love to know if I'm entirely correct or not, if I'm missing anything like metallic or sooty, and if I would write their color descriptions any differently than how I have them here.
1. Correct
E_ A+_ CR/n D/_

2. Mealy Buckskin Dun
E_ A+_ CR/n D/_ - The giveaway is the warm yellow tone of the lower face, dorsal and leg stripes

3. Mealy Metallic Palomino
ee __ CR/n - (I rarely write the mealy/metallic/sooty in my horses' colour descriptions, but when I do and if they carry multiple, I arrange them alphabetically. It rolls off the tongue a little bit better imo)

4. Sooty Wild Bay Dun
E_ A+_ D/_ - I'm on the fence about sooty. Sooty is progressive, so you should be able to see the horse darken as it ages, even if it's only up to a certain ages. Given the fact that this horse's great grandsire is clearly sooty, and the sire has darkened a tiny bit, I favour sooty over non-sooty in this case

5. 2x correct

6. Metallic Wild Buckskin Dun
E_ A+_ CR/n D/_ - She is a semi-sneaky dun. It can get worse than this :P You can

7. Correct

8. Yes, just a very bright red dun
ee __ D/n

Hope that helps! :)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Redpyre
Visit My Farm

Post by Redpyre »

Aela wrote:Hope that helps! :)
This is super helpful, yes!

And thank you for reminding me about the fact that sooty is basically a progressive gene. Is it Tarpans that can have the static version? I feel like most of the sooty's that I've had in the past (or at least the ones that I'd caught) were static, and most of the breeds I'd worked with were Tarpan-based.

Also, the thing about organizing those extra gene descriptors alphabetically is genius. I'm absolutely going to do that from now on, haha. I normally don't include those either, but I want to keep track of them for this particular breeding project, so having an organized way to list them will be a great little help.

Finally, was the "You can" at the end of the answer for number 6 supposed to be a whole sentence? I'm curious to know if it might have been how I can spot that sneaky Dun. :lol:
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

Redpyre wrote:.
Haha yes, there was supposed to be a follow up after the "you can". I might have been a bit tired when I wrote that! What I meant to say was that it's easier to see sneaky dun after downloading the picture and zooming in. I always look for the dorsal, lower face contrast (although some other colours also appear to have that) and lighter fetlocks. Horse #6 in particular also has the typical washed out body colour, which I often find is easier to spot on the Buckskin Duns than other dun + dilutions.

I don't know too much about sooty - but if there is a static sooty in game, I would certainly think the Tarpans, out of the sooty-possible AC horses, would be the ones to carry it.
Realistic Breed Project

Redpyre
Visit My Farm

Post by Redpyre »

Aela wrote:.
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, if I was more familiar with buckskin in general, the washed-out color of its dun version would probably be easier for me to identify. As I mentioned, I'm most familiar with Tarpan breeds and their dark, classic duns on absolutely everything. Not a whole lot of buckskins in that lot. :lol:

So yes, thanks again for everything. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions.
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

No problem!

And no, Tarpans are not the most colourful :P
Realistic Breed Project

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:34 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:34 am