The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Multiple dilutes

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Multiple dilutes

Post by AltNazarach »

Silverine wrote:
I'll probably have to breed him to some known non-dilutes to figure him out entirely. XD

I'd actually never seen the stretched warm spots with brown + To. I've got a bunch of brown in my herds, though. These are just some of the youngsters:

It doesn't always seem to be the case, and sometimes it even goes so far and makes them look like a really weird bay with sooty ^^'

on these ones it's really noticable (I think)
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

AltNazarach wrote:
Oooo, very interesting. Are you sure the second two don't have pangare?
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Silverine wrote:
AltNazarach wrote:
Oooo, very interesting. Are you sure the second two don't have pangare?
I noticed these browsing for NAB studs and was a bit surprised/weirded out myself; the first maybe a very pale version, but the second shouldn't (there are no noticeable changes in the color in the lightened areas?)
I mean, f.e. this one has some strong mealy going on, but the difference seems visible to me than on these two above

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

AltNazarach wrote:
I was mostly thinking of the one with the green halter. The patch on his upper barrel seems to me to be a slightly different color than his muzzle/flank area, plus he's got the lightening around the eye that usually indicates pangare. Also the warm area on his flank and behind his elbow are somewhat disconnected from the spot on his barrel. His descendants (here and here) do also have very loud warm areas, but they lack the barrel coloration, making me even more suspicious.

The other one is out of this mare, so it's possible his lightening is appaloosa bronzing, especially as he seems to have some very pale bronzing going on.

I'm not saying that it's not part of their browning, just that it's very possible they have more going on than just brown + To.
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by AltNazarach »

Silverine wrote:
AltNazarach wrote:
I was mostly thinking of the one with the green halter. The patch on his upper barrel seems to me to be a slightly different color than his muzzle/flank area, plus he's got the lightening around the eye that usually indicates pangare. Also the warm area on his flank and behind his elbow are somewhat disconnected from the spot on his barrel. His descendants (here and here) do also have very loud warm areas, but they lack the barrel coloration, making me even more suspicious.

The other one is out of this mare, so it's possible his lightening is appaloosa bronzing, especially as he seems to have some very pale bronzing going on.

I'm not saying that it's not part of their browning, just that it's very possible they have more going on than just brown + To.
I admit, I have absolutly no experience with bronzening and how it works -.-'
Didn't look on the descendants because I thought pangare alway covers/lays over the warm areas and in a somewhat regular progression not like sooty lightening here and there? But they do seem to carry pg and he seems indeed to be the culprit :/ It's just that especially on the nab browns with paint To there were many with these spread warm areas when I looked through the pages of the market...
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

AltNazarach wrote:
Silverine wrote:
If I may put my own thoughts on it. Of the two horse's in question. The second horse (the non-cream) does appear to have pangare (this from my experience trying to breed that annoyingly dominant gene out of my leopard tarpans). Meanwhile the first horse appears less likely to have it.

I still remember getting a decently pangared foal from two non-pangare apparent parents:

Pangare foal

Parents:

Of course, as they aged, varnish appears to have brought the gene very blatantly to the surface. Their younger pics tell a different story.

Foal:

Younger picture of the parents:

That pesky pangare is quite good at hiding. Quite good.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Silverine wrote:
AltNazarach wrote:
Just wanted to add, the expanding of soft points on brown does happen without To too. And well, this guy is partly NAB -

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm