The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Is this odd?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Re: Is this odd?

Post by Tjigra »

I accidentally ran across a stallion at stud with a pretty nice expression after reading this thread while looking for something else entirely. Here it is, if you need something to start the experiment with:

Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

Tjigra wrote:I accidentally ran across a stallion at stud with a pretty nice expression after reading this thread while looking for something else entirely. Here it is, if you need something to start the experiment with
Ooo! Thanks so much for linking him here. He's perfect. :D
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Stick wrote: Oh, that's very helpful! Would I be able to quote that if I set up a thread about it, or maybe just wait for you to chime in there (if you decide to do so) with that information?
Feel free to quote it. I hope you have success in your experiments.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Stick wrote:
I picked up this AC Arabian that I thought might interest you guys. She has an odd bit of lightening going on in her mane/tail and lower legs. Almost like pangare, but on black. I've bred her to one of the white mane stallions to see what pops up.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I picked up this AC Arabian that I thought might interest you guys. She has an odd bit of lightening going on in her mane/tail and lower legs. Almost like pangare, but on black. I've bred her to one of the white mane stallions to see what pops up.
That is odd. Except for the fact that she's bay, I'd certainly say that's flaxen.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
EDIT: I decided to update this post rather than creating a new one to avoid having quite as much clutter in the thread.

Here's her two babies, both from the white mane stallion posted at the top of the page. Both have slightly faded manes and tails, but closer to their dam than the sire.

First Foal

Of the two foals, this girl seems the most like the sire. She had clear whitish areas of her mane while it was standing that disappeared after it grew out. After grow-out her mane appears to be as dark as a traditional bay's, much like how her sire's mane appears as dark as a traditional buckskin's. Her tail, on the other hand, tends more toward her dam with pale areas throughout instead of concentrated at the tail head.

As a newborn:
ImageImage

As a yearling:
ImageImage

As a two-year-old:
ImageImage

After mane growth @ 2.5 years:
ImageImage

Second Foal

This foal seems to be much more closely linked to his dam's expression than his sire's. His mane to my eye is quite a bit lighter than a traditional buckskin mane even after 'flopping over,' which is quite different from his sire's expression where the white was visible with the standing mane but completely hidden after flopping. And his tail, while also being paler than a traditional buckskin expression, has paleness throughout rather than being concentrated at the tail head.

As a newborn:
ImageImage

As a yearling:
ImageImage

After first mane growth @1.25 years:
ImageImage
Last edited by Silverine on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:...
This one is a descendant from the sire of the one you're using. It appears these genes are sticking a little stronger.

Perhaps crossing back into the line will strengthen what's already there.

It does seem that either sooty or natural progression makes this plume thing disappear as they age.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Back-crossing is the current plan. The first two are a colt/filly, so I'll breed them together first. I have a few other foals from the same stud but none of them showed the same expression that even these babies have.

One thing I've noticed is that any plume horses I've found have really low ID numbers - 5 digits or fewer. I submitted a question for the next Q&A asking if it's even possible to get that same expression anymore.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Back-crossing is the current plan. The first two are a colt/filly, so I'll breed them together first. I have a few other foals from the same stud but none of them showed the same expression that even these babies have.

One thing I've noticed is that any plume horses I've found have really low ID numbers - 5 digits or fewer. I submitted a question for the next Q&A asking if it's even possible to get that same expression anymore.
I've seen this light plume expression, the barely-there type on many of my bay foals, most often from the belgian descendant blood, but I've always accepted it as a foal coloration. Maybe it's not, I may have to change my first impression of it.
I'll keep my eyes open for more from the AC. I've never seen a strong expression from my own stock so I doubt I'll get any suddenly showing up from somewhere in my own herd.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I've seen this light plume expression, the barely-there type on many of my bay foals, most often from the belgian descendant blood, but I've always accepted it as a foal coloration. Maybe it's not, I may have to change my first impression of it.
I'll keep my eyes open for more from the AC. I've never seen a strong expression from my own stock so I doubt I'll get any suddenly showing up from somewhere in my own herd.
Yeah, I've seen the barely-there expression as well, but nothing nearly so expressive as the bright white line.

Here's my first back-bred foal. I'm currently operating under the assumption that he's brown, though he may be bay. Either way, check out how red his mane and tail are.

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:15 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:15 pm