The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

More dilution confusion

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
broadzilla
Visit My Farm

More dilution confusion

Post by broadzilla »

As if it wasn't hard enough for me to tell one dilution combination from another, this guy is also an AC horse, has roan, and is varnishing out. So, any help would be appreciated, along with any details about what clues might mean which genes.

As far as I understand it, the blue eyes and pink skin means double cream? And I don't see freckles, so no champagne? But beyond that, I don't know his base color (black? brown?), if his pale mane and tail means that he has silver or not, if he might have dun underneath all of that, etc. He does have one offspring, if that helps figure anything out.

Thanks in advance!

Snazzy
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: More dilution confusion

Post by Silverine »

broadzilla wrote: Snazzy
This boy is silver brown cream roan - brown + silver + 2 x cream + roan. You were right that blues + pink skin in this case means double cream, though in some cases can also indicate a pearl-cream (we don't have to worry about that here as only AC NABs actually carry pearl). You were also correct that the pale mane and tail indicate silver. The light areas around his muzzle and eye, though they can be mistaken for varnish, indicate the brown base coat. It does not look to me as though he has dun - his fetlocks are not noticeably lightened, I don't see any leg bars or dorsal stripe, and his face mask looks to be entirely of roan expression.

His one foal helps confirm that he is double cream (dam had no cream) and tells us that he is heterozygous for extension (Ee).
broadzilla
Visit My Farm

Re: More dilution confusion

Post by broadzilla »

Silverine wrote:...
Ah! That really explains a lot--especially the clues for brown. Thanks so much for your super-thorough help. :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 am