The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Where did he get dun from?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Parsnip
Visit My Farm

Where did he get dun from?

Post by Parsnip »

I've got this Colt Agate

Dam is a buckskin AC Shetland, sire is a chestnut appy classy Belgian. Neither appear to have any visible dun. I thought dun was dominant. Any ideas? And if you've got any dunskins, I'd like to see them.
Thanks
Parsnip
Visit My Farm

Re: Where did he get dun from?

Post by Parsnip »

Buttercup
And while I'm at it, is he minimal dun as well? Again, not visible in parents.
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

Parsnip wrote:I've got this Colt Agate

Dam is a buckskin AC Shetland, sire is a chestnut appy classy Belgian. Neither appear to have any visible dun. I thought dun was dominant. Any ideas? And if you've got any dunskins, I'd like to see them.
Thanks
Agate's dam definitely has a dorsal stripe, so she's a dun :) That's probably where Agate got his dun markings from.
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l »

Parsnip wrote:Buttercup
And while I'm at it, is he minimal dun as well? Again, not visible in parents.
You'll have to ask somebody more experienced with this one, but I bet one of the parents has dun markings that are hard to see, especially with the lp gene going on (the spots and varnish).
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Parsnip wrote:....
You could call Buttercup a minimal dun. Dun is also the reason that his brown and black body is in fact brown and gray.

Agate's dun came from his mother. She's a cryptic dun. Buckskin is a bit difficult to see sometimes, but the sooty-ness in my opinion is actually from dun and not from sooty. The fact that there is a definite distinction of buckskin color on her face that changes from a brighter buckskin down toward her nose to a lighter buckskin toward her eye is a part of the dun mask I've seen in many other dun-expressed horses.

Dun is dominant, but even I get confused about where some dun comes from. For instance, the following mare definitely has dun, but even I don't know from which parent it comes from:

She even shares the same visual mask on her face (seen best at the 1 year photo) that Sienna has.
I suspect if we could shave Sienna's mane, we'd see the same dark line that Agate has on his neck.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I forgot to add, Buttercup could have gotten the dun from either parent. But his sire definitely has dun. Dun can turn brown horse's a gray color.
The dam, Pale Spring... it'd difficult to say whether that coat is diluted from dun or diluted from Lp.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Both parents are dun.
Parsnip
Visit My Farm

Post by Parsnip »

Thanks. I didn't realise it could be that hard to spot.
Good to know - dun's a good addition to my colour palette, especially for the draughts.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm