The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Stumbled upon an extraordinary coloration. I think..

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Faithywaithy34
Visit My Farm

Stumbled upon an extraordinary coloration. I think..

Post by Faithywaithy34 »

Just popping up some foals when a filly popped up, with her dad's coat at birth. Until later on, I started noticing some strange discoloration around her eyes. Could someone help me figure this out.? Never seen it on any other horse yet.

Thundering Horses
Visit My Farm

Re: Stumbled upon an extraordinary coloration. I think..

Post by Thundering Horses »

Faithywaithy34 wrote:Just popping up some foals when a filly popped up, with her dad's coat at birth. Until later on, I started noticing some strange discoloration around her eyes. Could someone help me figure this out.? Never seen it on any other horse yet.

Its called the greying gene
Faithywaithy34
Visit My Farm

Post by Faithywaithy34 »

Thundering Hooves wrote:
Faithywaithy34 wrote:Just popping up some foals when a filly popped up, with her dad's coat at birth. Until later on, I started noticing some strange discoloration around her eyes. Could someone help me figure this out.? Never seen it on any other horse yet.

Its called the greying gene
O well. Ty. If I sounded overreacted ( Which I probably did.. ).
Thundering Horses
Visit My Farm

Post by Thundering Horses »

Faithywaithy34 wrote:
Thundering Hooves wrote: Its called the greying gene
O well. Ty. If I sounded overreacted ( Which I probably did.. ).
nope
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

It is as Thundering Hooves said.
To give a little more in-depth, the graying gene will always produce foals with adult coats as newborns. Sometime within that first year, generally (usually around 6 months, but can be much longer or much earlier), the gray goggles appear around the eyes (if bred selectively, the graying gene may be held off for longer, but a study has not yet been done on that). From that point, the graying gene will eventually take over the entire body.

Certain genes are not immediately affected by the graying gene at birth. Such things like the blue-eyes that turn brown of the champagne gene and the leopard gene will change appearance when they blow their coat as a yearling or as they grow.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm