The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Gene responsible for "rust" ?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
hex4kit
Visit My Farm

Gene responsible for "rust" ?

Post by hex4kit »

My grey, dappled horse is becoming a warmer shade of grey as time goes by. What is the gene responsible for this? Is it sooty?

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Gene responsible for "rust" ?

Post by BlackOak2 »

hex4kit wrote:
My grey, dappled horse is becoming a warmer shade of grey as time goes by. What is the gene responsible for this? Is it sooty?
This mare is a silver on black. But what could explain the changing of the color, since sooty doesn't appear to affect black, because it's black... that's a good question.
There is one gene that will turn black hair toward the red spectrum, that would be Lp bronzing, however, if there was Lp switch here (to turn the bronzing on), there would also be varnish, and I see NO evidence of varnish at all.

There is an appearance change between the 4 year and 8 year gallery photo, but after that, I see no significant change, really not even minor changes. So, that's as far as my knowledge extends.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
hex4kit
Visit My Farm

Post by hex4kit »

Thank you for the answer! I knew she was silver but I was wondering if sooty was behaving differently on other colours, thank you for clarifying that!!
I hope someone can pinpoint the gene,
I'll repost a pic when she is old too.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
hex4kit wrote:
This mare is a silver on black. But what could explain the changing of the color, since sooty doesn't appear to affect black, because it's black... that's a good question.
There is one gene that will turn black hair toward the red spectrum, that would be Lp bronzing, however, if there was Lp switch here (to turn the bronzing on), there would also be varnish, and I see NO evidence of varnish at all.

There is an appearance change between the 4 year and 8 year gallery photo, but after that, I see no significant change, really not even minor changes. So, that's as far as my knowledge extends.
From my experience, that colour change is just what silver black does. Silver smoky black starts with a more blue tone and regular silver black starts with a warmer tone - both change to a similar, warmish colour by about 2, IIRC.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Malakai10 wrote:
hex4kit wrote:...
From my experience, that colour change is just what silver black does. Silver smoky black starts with a more blue tone and regular silver black starts with a warmer tone - both change to a similar, warmish colour by about 2, IIRC.
I never paid that close attention, so this is good information to me. I will be checking out if this holds true across the silver blacks (double creams, pearls, duns, etc) or with just the basic silver and black or silver and black with cream.

Thank you for that insight!
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
hex4kit
Visit My Farm

Post by hex4kit »

ooOOOOH thank you!! I did see some horses of mine going more golden without getting darker
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: From my experience, that colour change is just what silver black does. Silver smoky black starts with a more blue tone and regular silver black starts with a warmer tone - both change to a similar, warmish colour by about 2, IIRC.
I never paid that close attention, so this is good information to me. I will be checking out if this holds true across the silver blacks (double creams, pearls, duns, etc) or with just the basic silver and black or silver and black with cream.

Pleasure. As far as I know, it does hold true across all dilutions, it's just much harder to notice.

If I get any silver blacks, I'll also take pictures.

Should one of us make a topic on this forum to display findings related to silver black and it's dilutions?
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Malakai10 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Pleasure. As far as I know, it does hold true across all dilutions, it's just much harder to notice.

Should one of us make a topic on this forum to display findings related to silver black and it's dilutions?
The colour combination for which the tone change does not hold true is grey, as far as I know - grey on silver black and grey on silver smoky black foals will always be the same colour as an adult silver black or silver smoky black horse.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Malakai10 wrote:
Malakai10 wrote: Pleasure. As far as I know, it does hold true across all dilutions, it's just much harder to notice.

The colour combination for which the tone change does not hold true is grey, as far as I know - grey on silver black and grey on silver smoky black foals will always be the same colour as an adult silver black or silver smoky black horse.
Something that I should perhaps clarify - it's not so much because of the silver that silver black and silver smoky black have different tones, it's because of black and smoky black. Black foals start out with a warmer hue and smoky blacks as a silvery-grey colour - this is what carries over to non-cream dilutions. So, I imagine a double cream silver black or pearl silver black will look exactly the same at birth (except the eyes, of course), with a colder and lighter hue than both silver and silver smoky black.

On the other hand, a silver classic champagne and silver smoky cream champagne will, once again, have a difference in with the non-cream having a warmer hue. The same applies to dun and should also apply to spotted and tobiano horses, but I don't work with those last two colours, so I can't be certain.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:08 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:08 pm