The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Shades of Black

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Shades of Black

Post by Nazarach »

Hi there ^^
In recent times I noticed a lot of people stumbling through black and its various appearances when dilluted.

I breed for black in some projects of mine and - subsequently - have a bit of experience with the coats; so I wanted to make a small guide that may help people decide what kind of genes may be involved.

I will put up pictures of the foal- and 1 year appearances.

As I'm not always 100% sure when multiple dillutions are involved, you can always point out wrong or missing genes and I will do my best to correct them.

As for silver + double/tripple dillutes on black I will have to rely on other people as these always make me miss the correct shades x_x so everyone sure about a horse with these genes is very welcome :)

a warm, brown/redish coat
Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Keep in mind though that all shades of a coat can always alternate between a lighter/fainter or a more vibrant/darker color!

Cream ('Smoky')

Smoky Black (E_ a/a Cr/n)
in nearly all combinations does Cream change the shade to a more cold, greyish color
Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Smoky Cream (E_ a/a Cr/Cr) (sadly, I don't own one currently, so it's a forgein one with no 1 year pic)

Image 0 years
Image 2,17 years

Pearl
Pearl is a recessive gene, so it's only visible in a pair - either with:
1 cream and 1 pearl
2 pearl genes.

Smoky Black Pearl (E_ a/a Cr/prl)
distinguishing it from double cream is not possible - you have to look at the parents genetic makeup or an indicating offspring
Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Black Pearl (E_ a/a prl/prl)

Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Champagne

Classic Champagne (E_ a/a Ch/n)

Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Classic Cream (E_ a/a Cr/n Ch/n)

Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Champagne + multiple dilutes

Black Pearl Champagne (E_ a/a prl/prl Ch/n)
(distinguishable by the heaviest kind of freckles from champagne - similiar to a horse with just champagne)
Image 0 years
Image 1 year
Image freckle close-up

Smoky Cream Pearl Champagne (E_ a/a Cr/prl Ch/n)
medium freckles - less than with double pearl but more than double cream; still hard to differntiate from double cream sometimes, so take note of parents and offspring
Image 0 years
Image 1 year
Image freckle close-up

Smoky Cream Champagne (E_ a/a Cr/Cr Ch/n)
very faint freckles - like a bit of dust-covering
Image 0 years
Image 1 year
Image freckle close-up

Last edited by Nazarach on Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Shades of Black

Post by Nazarach »

Dun

Black Dun ('Grullo'/'Grulla') (E_ a/a D/d) (sadly, I don't own one a grown one, so I had to outsource)

Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Smoky Black Dun (E_ a/a Cr/n D/d)
(read about the effects of cream in the dillute post above)
Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Roan

Black Roan ('Blue Roan') (E_ a/a Rn/n)
get a closeup and you'll notice distinguishable white hairs dilluting the original color; also, roan only reaches up to the cheeks while dun also wraps around the noses bridge
Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Smoky Black Roan (E_ a/a Cr/n Rn/n)

Image 0 years
Image 1,04 years

This should offer you a look at how roan will be layered above the original coat - so I'll refrain from going through all possible combinations (if you want to add a horse with any of these colors not mentioned just quote this post or ping me with the horses link) :)

Silver
dapples can vary from non-existent to a heavy covering

Silver Black (E_ a/a Z/n) (outsourced - no 1 year pic)
Image 0 years
Image 1,25 years

Smoky Silver Black (E_ a/a Cr/n Z/n)

Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Silver (Dappled) Smoky Black Pearl Champagne (E_ a/a Cr/prl Ch/n Z/n)
medium freckles indicate the pearl involvement; dapples and the yellow-ish tint the silver
Image 0 years
Image 1 year
Image freckle close-up

Silver Black Dun (E_ a/a D/d Z/n)
a slightly warmer/pinkish color
Image 0 years
Image 1 year

Silver Smoky Black Dun (E_ a/a Cr/n D/d Z/n)
a more yellowish/grey shade
Image 0 years
Image 1 year

The other Silver+Dun+Pearl/Cream and/or Champagne combinations are a true hassle to figure out (and I certainly don't have many), so if anyone wants to add a fitting horse feel free to do so - or just ping me with a link to the horse IF you are sure it has the correct shade.

In any case, they will just get lighter in color from this point on - ranging from a sun bleached gold to a pure white these combinations are hard to guess from just looking
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Shades of Black

Post by Nazarach »

added a multiple dillute "Silver (Dappled) Smoky Black Pearl Champagne (E_ a/a Cr/prl Ch/n Z/n)" to the silver section
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm