The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Confusing Filly

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Confusing Filly

Post by Raikit »

Two of my horses just popped out this little girl:

Her heritage:
Sire
Dam

The sire I have labelled as a Classic Cream Pearl Roan (black + 1xcream + 1xpearl + champagne + roan). His sire was a smoky blue roan (black + 1xcream + roan) and his dam was classic champagne with a hidden pearl (black + champagne + 1xpearl). He definitely got the champagne and the roan, and looks like a double-dilute, hence his labeling a cream-pearl. He also can't have anything other than a black base.

The dam I have labelled as a Smoky Black Pearl (black + 1xcreal + 1xpearl). Her sire was the same smoky blue roan as the sire's sire. Her dam was a silver brown pearl (brown + 2xpearl + silver). She did not pick up the silver as far as I can tell. Based on her double-dilute appearing coat and light eyes I labelled her as a cream-pearl as well. She could possibly have a brown base, but I don't see any indicators of brown on her foal or adult coat.

Now on to the filly:

If I have her parents labelled correctly she has two possibilities for base-coat: full black or red. She appears to have inherited the champagne from her sire.
Her bright mane made me think silver, but then I realized that neither parent carries the silver gene (neither of them can hide it, either). Because of the lack of silver my current theory is that she is red-based.

But is she a cream-pearl or a double-pearl? I know she's not a double cream, as I've had cremello champagnes before and they were all much lighter. However, what I haven't dealt with is apricot champagne or palomino pearl champagne. I'm leaning slightly towards apricot champagne, but I have no solid reasoning behind that lean.

What say you?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Confusing Filly

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:...
Long time no chat! :D

I'd say either double cream, or cream and pearl. I'm leaning toward cream and pearl as well. On chestnut.

I have serious doubts about her being a double pearl. Although I don't know how the foal-blue-eye of champagne would work alongside the double pearl. If she has dark eyes as a yearling, then double pearl, although I don't have experience with champagne on double pearl (with or without roan), I do have apricots and she's not as rich a color as I would think she should be:

This horse may or may not have dun, I have cryptic dun sneaking around that herd, there may also be minimal expression of pangare, but I want to say no to both of those genes on that colt. But there is NO roan.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:...
I don't have a pic right now unfortunately, but double pearl with champagne is also born with light blue eyes that darken with age.

Through my own experience my thought is that the foal is a double pearl. I'm going to predict that her eyes will darken up by one year.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:...
It has been a while. :) I took a rather long hiatus but recently had more free time to come play with my pixel ponies.

I actually do have some champagne double-pearls that demonstrate the darkening eyes. This girl, for example, who is double pearl on silver classic grulla.

I do know that this filly is not a double cream. Unfortunately I can't actually find any of my own double-cream champagnes right now :oops: but here is a stallion showing cremello champagne (under his gray) and here is a smoky cream champagne. So whether she is black-based or red-based, she definitely doesn't match either of those colors.

And now that I've actually had to dig through my old horses I actually did find a previous apricot champagne that I'd had:

And here's a comparison of the foal pics from both horses. Top pic is the apricot champagne, bottom is the filly:

Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

And here she is at just over a year old.

So my current thinking is gold pearl (aka apricot champagne) with flaxen.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:And here she is at just over a year old.

So my current thinking is gold pearl (aka apricot champagne) with flaxen.
Okay, her eyes darkened, so I'd have to agree that it's a double pearl. And that is definitely flaxen, so then that must be red based.

The color range still astounds me occasionally on this game. :D

And it's good to see you back around again.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote: Okay, her eyes darkened, so I'd have to agree that it's a double pearl. And that is definitely flaxen, so then that must be red based.

She's certainly an interesting one. :lol: I've gotten pretty good at identifying my pearlies, but they pop a red-base so infrequently that it almost always throws me for a loop.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Okay, her eyes darkened, so I'd have to agree that it's a double pearl. And that is definitely flaxen, so then that must be red based.

She's certainly an interesting one. :lol: I've gotten pretty good at identifying my pearlies, but they pop a red-base so infrequently that it almost always throws me for a loop.
I'm still generally avoiding the dilutes for just that reason. Although I can say I'm much better than I used to be. :D

The more we delve into the game, the more depth there proves to be... It's a bit annoying and enticing at the same time. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote: I'm still generally avoiding the dilutes for just that reason. Although I can say I'm much better than I used to be. :D

The more we delve into the game, the more depth there proves to be... It's a bit annoying and enticing at the same time. :mrgreen:
I'm working specifically with double pearls, so it's a bit easier. I have the occasional cream-pearl still in my lines from the early days of actually achieving the pearl, hence the confusion with this filly. But once everybody in those lines is double-pearl it will be so much easier.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I'm working specifically with double pearls, so it's a bit easier. I have the occasional cream-pearl still in my lines from the early days of actually achieving the pearl, hence the confusion with this filly. But once everybody in those lines is double-pearl it will be so much easier.
I do like the creams, but they're a PAIN when it comes to breeding for certain colors. I injected my low GP project with pearls, but was so dead-set against the creams, that I scrolled for two weeks through the AC market until I found a couple pearls. Never let a cream into that line! :lol:

You're on your way to pseudo-whites in white phase. Are you going for that triple dilute style? Or will the champagne also be bred out?
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 am