The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What Colors Are They?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Southerngal
Visit My Farm

What Colors Are They?

Post by Southerngal »

Hi! So, I'm starting a new breeding line, and unfortunately for me, they aren't horses with one designated color. I got lucky with Friesians, either they were black, or a very simple color :lol: But since I'm breeding Colorado Rangers, they can be literally any color that is not paint. And I suck with the colors. I can piont out the basics, and the silver gene, but that's it. Could you guys help me with these horses? One or two may be Friesians, because, yeah. Tkanks for any help I get!
Vixen

Murderous Ash

Red Prince

He's a bay of some sort, right?
Miss Queen

Velvet Fire

Is he, like, a red bay?
Lovely
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: What Colors Are They?

Post by Silverine »

Southerngal wrote:
So first off just a little tip - if you can't tell what color a horse is as a newborn, wait until it turns one year old. At one year the foal coat will be fully shed and the horse will have its full adult coat.

Now on to your ponies.

Vixen is buckskin dun (bay + 1x cream + dun). She'll grow up to look a lot like her mother, minus the silver.

Murderous Ash is almost certainly bay, though there's a very small chance he could be brown. It'll be easier to tell as he gets closer to his birthday. His light undersides are caused by a phenomenon called "foal pangare".

Red Prince is a zebra dun/bay dun (they're both names for the same thing: bay + the dun gene).

Miss Queen is smoky brown dun (brown + 1x cream + dun). She got the dun from her sire, though she didn't inherit his topline stripes.

Velvet Fire is a zebra dun/bay dun.

Lovely is a flaxen chestnut with sooty darkening her lower extremities.
Southerngal
Visit My Farm

Re: What Colors Are They?

Post by Southerngal »

Silverine wrote:
So first off just a little tip - if you can't tell what color a horse is as a newborn, wait until it turns one year old. At one year the foal coat will be fully shed and the horse will have its full adult coat.

Now on to your ponies.

Vixen is buckskin dun (bay + 1x cream + dun). She'll grow up to look a lot like her mother, minus the silver.

Murderous Ash is almost certainly bay, though there's a very small chance he could be brown. It'll be easier to tell as he gets closer to his birthday. His light undersides are caused by a phenomenon called "foal pangare".

Red Prince is a zebra dun/bay dun (they're both names for the same thing: bay + the dun gene).

Miss Queen is smoky brown dun (brown + 1x cream + dun). She got the dun from her sire, though she didn't inherit his topline stripes.

Velvet Fire is a zebra dun/bay dun.

Lovely is a flaxen chestnut with sooty darkening her lower extremities.
Thanks a lot!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:37 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:37 am