The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

More cryptic duns

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

More cryptic duns

Post by Tjigra »

And again I've come into a bunch of horses that leave me wondering if they're dun or not. Apparently I am not becoming better at spotting the cryptic.

DS Dream in Gold

I bought him as a normal palomino foal, but I am starting to wonder if there is something else throwing his colour off besides sooty.

Trodex C

Not only is he dun, but Lp varnish too above the buckskin?

Rusty Gallance C

This little lady bothers me most. Her ankles are definitely lighter, but she might as well be flaxen beneath the palomino. Even though her sire is definitely dun, this line usually gives clear duns, not cryptic ones.

Dream Times C

Son of the stallion in the beginning of this post. He does have a somewhat off colour, and if he is dun, then the stallion definitely is too, because the dam is too rich coloured to hide dun, isn't she? However, I've said that before and been wrong :lol:

Gallant Poison C

And this looks just a bit too dull to be plain bay. Dun again? (if so, Galahad C has turned his own line on its head, by producing only cryptic duns where there were none in that family before)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: More cryptic duns

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tjigra wrote:And again I've come into a bunch of horses that leave me wondering if they're dun or not. Apparently I am not becoming better at spotting the cryptic.

DS Dream in Gold

I bought him as a normal palomino foal, but I am starting to wonder if there is something else throwing his colour off besides sooty.If you look at his yearling image, before his mane comes in, you'll see a couple large stripes on his neck. Definitely dun... and not really that cryptic, at least in the respect that they're pretty obvious in that picture.

Trodex C

I'm not seeing too much indication of dun. So if he has it, this one is cryptic. But I do see snowflakes on his rear leg, so he is definitely an Lp colt. Keep in mind that early varnish can look a lot like dun mask.

Rusty Gallance C

This little lady bothers me most. Her ankles are definitely lighter, but she might as well be flaxen beneath the palomino. Even though her sire is definitely dun, this line usually gives clear duns, not cryptic ones. I want to say this filly has dun. There is an unusual shading there on her neck that slides down along the very front of her shoulder. This certainly could be that single dark stripe that can appear with dun, although I haven't seen it express quite like this, it certainly still could be the same expression. I also agree with flaxen. The lightening of the lower legs comes up from the hoof and not from the back of the ankles forward. That would be the difference between flaxen and dun. So I don't see dun ankle markings, but I do see flaxen markings.

Dream Times C

Son of the stallion in the beginning of this post. He does have a somewhat off colour, and if he is dun, then the stallion definitely is too, because the dam is too rich coloured to hide dun, isn't she? However, I've said that before and been wrong :lol: I would definitely say this is a dun mask we see. I don't see it on the dam, but yes, the stud does have it, as remarked previously.

Gallant Poison C

And this looks just a bit too dull to be plain bay. Dun again? (if so, Galahad C has turned his own line on its head, by producing only cryptic duns where there were none in that family before)I do see the barest hint of stripping on the front legs and maybe the slightest hint of discoloration on the neck. This, in conjunction with what appears to be a bright coat, but could also be a dun mask coat, does in my opinion indicate that the colt is likely dun.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

BlackOak2 wrote:.
Thanks. When you point it out where to look, I can see the markings too, but I don't notice them on my own (except on Gallance - I still only see her colour being slightly off, too greyish probably, but no darker markings, probably because I really want her to be not-dun :D)
Trodex not being dun is a surprise - I partly expect those pony - descendant breeds to be homozygous dun (Trodex's dam obviously isn't, as she has a plain bay sire, but the other half of the pedigree are solid duns for generations). So I'll make a note to myself to breed him to a non-dun mare when he is old enough and see what happens.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Tjigra wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:.
Thanks. When you point it out where to look, I can see the markings too, but I don't notice them on my own (except on Gallance - I still only see her colour being slightly off, too greyish probably, but no darker markings, probably because I really want her to be not-dun :D)
Trodex not being dun is a surprise - I partly expect those pony - descendant breeds to be homozygous dun (Trodex's dam obviously isn't, as she has a plain bay sire, but the other half of the pedigree are solid duns for generations). So I'll make a note to myself to breed him to a non-dun mare when he is old enough and see what happens.
I got it. :D When you see nothing BUT the gene you don't want, you see that gene... E...V..E...R...Y...W...H...E...R...E...

Then you end up loosing sight of what you want. That's the great thing about a good community, there's always an extra set of eyes laying around just waiting to be popped in. :lol:
Halloween's almost here... my bloody devilish side is coming out! :twisted:

As far as those pony breeds with dun... I know what you mean. Although I have no proof either way, they do seem to really throw that dun gene around. Since that's the case, you could be offering the better way to look at it, consider that they carry homo-dun and work from there.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Bitter Strand
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitter Strand »

Bloody cryptic duns! The place I usually look is the face. There is almost always evidence of the muzzle being at least a smidge darker on the duns. I see one on all of the horses you posted except for the last one, which is iffy to my eyes. It'll probably be more obvious when he's older- I find young horses harder to read. I'm disappointed by foals sometimes. . . Think a parent finally threw a dd foal but nope!
I'm trying to weed it out of my own herd, so when possible I only breed dun x solid, but that goes out the window whenever I need to bring in new Przewalski or Tarpan since the nice 0% COI fellas at the adoption center are all DD.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Tjigra wrote: Trodex C

I'm not seeing too much indication of dun. So if he has it, this one is cryptic. But I do see snowflakes on his rear leg, so he is definitely an Lp colt. Keep in mind that early varnish can look a lot like dun mask.
This one has dun. Check out his ankles - they have the dun lightening them along the back edges. Compare it to this horse, who is a plain buckskin with stockings of similar height.

Rusty Gallance C

This little lady bothers me most. Her ankles are definitely lighter, but she might as well be flaxen beneath the palomino. Even though her sire is definitely dun, this line usually gives clear duns, not cryptic ones. I want to say this filly has dun. There is an unusual shading there on her neck that slides down along the very front of her shoulder. This certainly could be that single dark stripe that can appear with dun, although I haven't seen it express quite like this, it certainly still could be the same expression. I also agree with flaxen. The lightening of the lower legs comes up from the hoof and not from the back of the ankles forward. That would be the difference between flaxen and dun. So I don't see dun ankle markings, but I do see flaxen markings.
Definitely dun on this one as well. Check out the way her knees "pop" to bright gold as compared to her upper legs.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 pm