The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What Happened?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Southerngal
Visit My Farm

What Happened?

Post by Southerngal »

Twisted Mind RR

What should I call her? And I don't know of any horses in her line that has the solid patch on the back, so how'd that get there? (Not really excpecting an answer for that, but if you have one that'd be nice). It looks like that splotch was draped on- its so weird.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: What Happened?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Southerngal wrote: What should I call her? And I don't know of any horses in her line that has the solid patch on the back, so how'd that get there? (Not really excpecting an answer for that, but if you have one that'd be nice). It looks like that splotch was draped on- its so weird.
Do you mean the tobiano that's cutting her in half?
Yeah... when you have tobiano in the gene pool, it can suddenly take over parts of the body. You have tobiano stockings through the bloodline.
That particular pattern appears to come down from this stallion:

That's her dam-sire.
Similar markings are likely to pop up and they should mimic this one. So if you don't want the pattern across the back, then don't breed this filly. If you don't mind it, then use her if she fits your other requirements. You can minimize the back patterns and the other patterns if you just want face markings or also leg markings, but tobiano may always make an appearance on the body at some point as a pop-up down the bloodline.

As for her color description... Brown Tobiano blanket?
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Southerngal
Visit My Farm

Post by Southerngal »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Southerngal wrote: What should I call her? And I don't know of any horses in her line that has the solid patch on the back, so how'd that get there? (Not really excpecting an answer for that, but if you have one that'd be nice). It looks like that splotch was draped on- its so weird.
Do you mean the tobiano that's cutting her in half?
Yeah... when you have tobiano in the gene pool, it can suddenly take over parts of the body. You have tobiano stockings through the bloodline.
That particular pattern appears to come down from this stallion:

That's her dam-sire.
Similar markings are likely to pop up and they should mimic this one. So if you don't want the pattern across the back, then don't breed this filly. If you don't mind it, then use her if she fits your other requirements. You can minimize the back patterns and the other patterns if you just want face markings or also leg markings, but tobiano may always make an appearance on the body at some point as a pop-up down the bloodline.

As for her color description... Brown Tobiano blanket?
Oh! Excuse my slowness lol, I hadn't seen that particular horse yet. Thanks a lot!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Southerngal wrote: Oh! Excuse my slowness lol, I hadn't seen that particular horse yet. Thanks a lot!
I sometimes forget to stare at those pedigrees myself. :mrgreen: Additional pairs of eyes do help.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Southerngal
Visit My Farm

Post by Southerngal »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Southerngal wrote: Oh! Excuse my slowness lol, I hadn't seen that particular horse yet. Thanks a lot!
I sometimes forget to stare at those pedigrees myself. :mrgreen: Additional pairs of eyes do help.
How do you figure out the colors so well? :lol: I try to understand the color guides, but either they make no sense, or I can't see the pictures. Thanks for helping me with all the coats!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Southerngal wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
How do you figure out the colors so well? :lol: I try to understand the color guides, but either they make no sense, or I can't see the pictures. Thanks for helping me with all the coats!
You go step-by-step.
First try to single out what the base coat is, or at least check off those it can't be. Then add the modifiers (dun, cream, etc). When you add the modifiers, the base coat generally sets itself in your mind and the 'ah-hah' moment comes. The parents will also give you hints to where you should be looking. Such as two chestnuts can't have anything but another chestnut foal, or two blacks can't throw an agouti foal. So if you're looking at a bay foal from two chestnuts... ONE parent (at least) is not chestnut... or if that same bay foal is from two blacks, then at least ONE of them is a pseudo-black, likely a bay or wild bay.

That's how I manage most of my colors. The other half is staring at generations upon generations of the same standard gene and seeing it mutate to both ends of the spectrum. Take a look over the favorites topic, they have some nice examples of extremes.

And if you get really stuck with a coat color... rather when I get really stuck with a coat color, I apply the community. Of course, the couple times I got stuck... the community was at a loss too. :|

Anyway, Silverine, Totina, Raikit, Nazarach, these are the players that help me with the dilutions. Dun, many people used to turn to me... although there are many more experts on that now.

So start at the base, then work up. Keep the color guide (at least one of them) handy and the base will tell you what it could be and what it can't be. From there, you should be able to make sense of what it most likely is. If you're still not sure, toss it to the community with where you're stuck and we'll see about given some more pointers.
It takes a good 6 months of work to really understand the colors, and that's as it stands now. I'm actually a little sorry for the newbies that will come sometime after us, after a number of additional color genes gets added to the game. :lol: We still have it easy, we get to learn each color release and build up on top of the color learnings we already have. Newbies, if they want to tackle it, will have to learn everything we have already learned PLUS everything that hasn't yet come out right now, and add it all together!
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Southerngal
Visit My Farm

Post by Southerngal »

BlackOak2 wrote:...
Lol this is a lot to process. I love horses, and I love genetics, but good god this is overly complicated :lol: And more color genes? I might give up now :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Southerngal wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:...
Lol this is a lot to process. I love horses, and I love genetics, but good god this is overly complicated :lol: And more color genes? I might give up now :lol:
Hah! lol
:D Yes'em... It certainly is a lot to process. That's one of the differences between color breeders and non-color breeders.

Don't get yourself overwhelmed. Start slow with one type of horses... like bay's... then when you're eye is used to seeing them, start adding modifiers.. dun, graying or cream. Eventually, you'll find it quite easy to color-define.

And as always, we're all here. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Southerngal
Visit My Farm

Post by Southerngal »

BlackOak2 wrote:Hah! lol
:D Yes'em... It certainly is a lot to process. That's one of the differences between color breeders and non-color breeders.

Don't get yourself overwhelmed. Start slow with one type of horses... like bay's... then when you're eye is used to seeing them, start adding modifiers.. dun, graying or cream. Eventually, you'll find it quite easy to color-define.

Thanks a lot, I usually just pair two horses that I think will give me what I want, and leave it at that. :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Southerngal wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:Hah! lol

Thanks a lot, I usually just pair two horses that I think will give me what I want, and leave it at that. :lol:
We do that too. :lol:
A little bit of luck, a little bit of thought, then the foal is born and surprises us anyway. Such is the world of HWO. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:24 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:24 am