The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Facial Marking Genes

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ĐiamondĐimension
Visit My Farm

Facial Marking Genes

Post by ĐiamondĐimension »

How does a foal come out with a facial marking

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2254747

When neither the Sire nor the Dam has one, and both parents are from the AC so it couldn't have been passed from further generations. How does this happen? Does it have something to do with the tobiano being passed on, it just landed in a separate place? Are facial markings distinguished from tobiano in this game or is it part of it?
Thanks in advance!
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Re: Facial Marking Genes

Post by Tjigra »

ĐiamondĐimension wrote:How does a foal come out with a facial marking

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2254747

When neither the Sire nor the Dam has one, and both parents are from the AC so it couldn't have been passed from further generations. How does this happen? Does it have something to do with the tobiano being passed on, it just landed in a separate place? Are facial markings distinguished from tobiano in this game or is it part of it?
Thanks in advance!
Yes, facial markings (leg markings too) are only caused by tobiano in HWO (for now). I am no expert on tobiano, but the patterns do migrate, even though they tend to get sort of fixed down the line, especially with inbreeding. I've bred a horse with socks to a solid and ended up with a foal with a star (or vice versa, I don't really remember), so you can easily have white where there was none before (doesn't happen all the time, but not that it is ultra rare).
And AC horse isn't necessarily a blank page, it comes complete with a full genome etc, so you can as well extrapolate it has had some virtual "parents" somewhere, we just don't get to see them :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 am