The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Horse colours: Names and pictures

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Winona Ryder
Visit My Farm

Re: Horse colours: Names and pictures

Post by Winona Ryder »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:
Winona Ryder wrote:Imagehttp://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1267645

I believe this guy is a Double cream dilute on a brown, but what would you call it?
Honestly, I'm seeing Smoky Cream which is black based not a brown base coat
I thought he was too dark for a Smoky Cream, I could be off though, hes definitely a double dilute though right? does he have one copy of tiger eye or two?
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Winona Ryder wrote:
Honestly, I'm seeing Smoky Cream which is black based not a brown base coat
I thought he was too dark for a Smoky Cream, I could be off though, hes definitely a double dilute though right? does he have one copy of tiger eye or two?
Brown cream I would expect to see some light area on the nose at the very least

This horse is Brown Cream

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1159392

He is double cream, so if you want to say double dilute that is up to you

As far as tiger eye is, I don't know...I haven't really studied the eye color in depth beyond the blue/brown as it appears for foal colors
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Winona Ryder
Visit My Farm

Post by Winona Ryder »

Brown cream I would expect to see some light area on the nose at the very least

This horse is Brown Cream

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1159392

He is double cream, so if you want to say double dilute that is up to you

As far as tiger eye is, I don't know...I haven't really studied the eye color in depth beyond the blue/brown as it appears for foal colors
Alright thank you! (: I see now
lRikutsu
Visit My Farm

Post by lRikutsu »

Does the game only have one variation of some of the coats? For example, how Palomino has Chocolate and Classic versions. Are the coat colors variable or do they just stick to one variation?
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

lRikutsu wrote:Does the game only have one variation of some of the coats? For example, how Palomino has Chocolate and Classic versions. Are the coat colors variable or do they just stick to one variation?
You can get the looks of chocolate palomino by adding the sooty gene to a regular palomino in the game. Otherwise there are very few major variations of some of the diluted coats.
lRikutsu
Visit My Farm

Post by lRikutsu »

Totina wrote:
lRikutsu wrote:Does the game only have one variation of some of the coats? For example, how Palomino has Chocolate and Classic versions. Are the coat colors variable or do they just stick to one variation?
You can get the looks of chocolate palomino by adding the sooty gene to a regular palomino in the game. Otherwise there are very few major variations of some of the diluted coats.

Ahhh, okay thank you for letting me know! And what about coats like chestnut, gray and bay? No blood/mahogany/cherry/golden bays? Sorrel/liver chestnuts? Steel and rose gray? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious to know! If these variations aren't in the game, will they ever be added?
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

lRikutsu wrote:

Ahhh, okay thank you for letting me know! And what about coats like chestnut, gray and bay? No blood/mahogany/cherry/golden bays? Sorrel/liver chestnuts? Steel and rose gray? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious to know! If these variations aren't in the game, will they ever be added?[/quote]

There are a lot of variations of chestnut and bay in the game. Liver chestnut is uncommon but it very much exists in the game. There are very light and "bright" chestnuts and very dark chestnuts. Same goes for bay. Steel/Rose gray are just part of the greying process of horses (depending on their base coat, if they start out as bay, chestnut, black etc.) where all grays eventually become completely gray (fleabitten gray or just plain gray).
lRikutsu
Visit My Farm

Post by lRikutsu »

Totina wrote:
lRikutsu wrote:

Ahhh, okay thank you for letting me know! And what about coats like chestnut, gray and bay? No blood/mahogany/cherry/golden bays? Sorrel/liver chestnuts? Steel and rose gray? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious to know! If these variations aren't in the game, will they ever be added?
There are a lot of variations of chestnut and bay in the game. Liver chestnut is uncommon but it very much exists in the game. There are very light and "bright" chestnuts and very dark chestnuts. Same goes for bay. Steel/Rose gray are just part of the greying process of horses (depending on their base coat, if they start out as bay, chestnut, black etc.) where all grays eventually become completely gray (fleabitten gray or just plain gray).[/quote]

Alright, thanks so much! I wasn't sure about variations, even after looking through two of the "color guides" on here. It's difficult to determine the color of a foal from other players when some people don't write in their horses colors or label them incorrectly. XD I'm not good at writing out genetics. Don't know why, but I've always struggled with it. I tend to identify them by sight, as most coats have a characteristic in common. There are those hidden genes, though lol. Thanks again! You've been a great help!
UnpredictableDragon
Visit My Farm

Post by UnpredictableDragon »

Hello! First of all, I really want to thank you for doing this. Before, I didn't really know much about coat colors, and I pretty much guessing randomly for my colors. Now, thanks to this guide, I can accurately identify genes in my horses (something I also didn't know much about) and decide which coat my horse has.

Secondly, I'd like to tell you that I believe I have two metallic colors that you don't have.

Metallic Bay Pearl (Also carries champagne)
✧ Small Sacrifices

Metallic Buckskin
✦ Little Wonder
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

UnpredictableDragon wrote:Hello! First of all, I really want to thank you for doing this. Before, I didn't really know much about coat colors, and I pretty much guessing randomly for my colors. Now, thanks to this guide, I can accurately identify genes in my horses (something I also didn't know much about) and decide which coat my horse has.

Secondly, I'd like to tell you that I believe I have two metallic colors that you don't have.

Metallic Bay Pearl (Also carries champagne)
✧ Small Sacrifices

Metallic Buckskin
✦ Little Wonder
I enjoy hearing about other players learning the basics of horse colour genetics by using my guide. That is the reason I started this project, to help people decide what genes their horses are carrying and to compare their horses with images.

Unfortunately I don't use pictures from other players' horses (unless they have saved images of their horses as both newborn and adult without equipment on their computers). The reason I don't want to use the pictures saved inside the game (in the gallery tab of all horses) is because they are so small compared to the full-sized versions you get from right-clicking on the horses' generated images and save it on your computer.
These galleries are also very dependent on your browser, where bugs in the rendering process get saved to the gallery as well. Some browsers are missing certain effects (like the muscles-layer in trained horses) and/or add strange features like black "clouds" or false colours.

I am continuously working on adding more images to this guide and when I only use pictures from the horses I breed myself I can keep track of exactly what genes they are carrying to make sure the guide is accurate.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 am