The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Horse colours: Names and pictures

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: Horse colours: Names and pictures

Post by Raikit »

Totina wrote:""
It may be my monitor settings but I'm having the hardest time deciding if this girl has dun or not. Any insight?

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Raikit wrote:
Totina wrote:""
It may be my monitor settings but I'm having the hardest time deciding if this girl has dun or not. Any insight?

To me it looks like a very light dun. I think it looks like very pale zebra stripes on the front leg and the body looks slightly lighter than usual.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Totina wrote: To me it looks like a very light dun. I think it looks like very pale zebra stripes on the front leg and the body looks slightly lighter than usual.
I was thinking along the same lines. She's just so faint! It's amazing how dun varies like that.
ohindie
Visit My Farm

Post by ohindie »

Quick question to anyone willing to answer haha, if two Classic Creams are bred together, is there a chance a Smoky Cream Champagne will be produced? I'm still trying to get the hang of colours and genetics! Thanks :)
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

ohindie wrote:Quick question to anyone willing to answer haha, if two Classic Creams are bred together, is there a chance a Smoky Cream Champagne will be produced? I'm still trying to get the hang of colours and genetics! Thanks :)
Yes, if the foal inherits the cream gene from both parents and at least one champagne gene from either of them, then the foal could become either smoky cream champagne or cremello champagne.

If both parents only have one gene for black pigment then both are carriers of the gene for red pigment, even if it is not visible since the gene for black pigment is dominant over the gene for red pigment. If this is the case then there is a 25% chance that the foal inherits the red pigment gene from both parents and becomes chestnut based (cremello champagne if it inherits the cream gene from both parents and at least one champagne gene).
If one of the parents is not a carrier of the red pigment gene then the foals will be black based 100% of the times.
SilverWolf28
Visit My Farm

Post by SilverWolf28 »

Is my Arab colt a greying brown?
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

SilverWolf28 wrote:Is my Arab colt a greying brown?
Yes he is.
SilverWolf28
Visit My Farm

Post by SilverWolf28 »

Thanks!
SilverWolf28
Visit My Farm

Post by SilverWolf28 »

Do you know what color this one is? http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/804194
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

SilverWolf28 wrote:Do you know what color this one is? http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/804194
She is Mealy Brown Dun.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 am