The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

A colour help again, please

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

A colour help again, please

Post by Tjigra »

I get confused about colours again and again, so I'll stick to this thread in the future :)
Firstly, there is Golden Amber C

She looks more and more buckskin to me, but why? I can't see cream in either parent. Can bays be so light and so yellow here?

Then there is Quassandra C

Her colour I am leaving for the future (my guess so far is bay silver), but that mostly white backside of hers - is she snowcap (homozygous Lp) or blanket?
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Re: A colour help again, please

Post by Malakai10 »

Tjigra wrote:I get confused about colours again and again, so I'll stick to this thread in the future :)

She looks more and more buckskin to me, but why? I can't see cream in either parent. Can bays be so light and so yellow here?

Her colour I am leaving for the future (my guess so far is bay silver), but that mostly white backside of hers - is she snowcap (homozygous Lp) or blanket?
She is a dun. Her mother looks like a smoky brown roan so that's where the cream came from.
The foal is a tiger eye silver bay blanket, see the spots in the blanket and how her lower legs are ever so slightly darker?
nyraeia
Visit My Farm

Post by nyraeia »

Tjigra wrote:I get confused about colours again and again, so I'll stick to this thread in the future :)

You are right about Amber, she's buckskin. She got Cream from her dam who is smoky brown (seal brown plus one Cream) roan. If you compare the dam to real browns, you will notice their lighter points being fairly red and not as yellow as Abbie's.

Quassandra is a silver bay with Tiger Eye and a Snowcap (according to Kintara).
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Thanks. So if Abbie is a brown cream, then Saldo C is, in fact, sooty buckskin and not bay at all, right?
Saldo C
nyraeia
Visit My Farm

Post by nyraeia »

Well, kind of. A buckskin is basically a bay + 1 Cream gene, so... yes and no? :mrgreen:
And yes, Saldo is sooty buckskin.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

A new one.
Tija C

Is that a dark chestnut flaxen in the making? If so, that's quite a surprise from black silver and palomino parents. I keep waiting for those long legs to turn black (so that she'd be bay silver, which should be more believable), but it doesn't look like they would :D

Quasar C

This little one is still a baby, but are those lighter areas on his head and around his eye a sign of gray, or just some baby mealy?
nyraeia
Visit My Farm

Post by nyraeia »

Tjigra wrote:Is that a dark chestnut flaxen in the making?
Yes :)
Tjigra wrote:This little one is still a baby, but are those lighter areas on his head and around his eye a sign of gray, or just some baby mealy?
It's baby mealy-ness. Grey does not show at 0 years old. Well... yes, it does. Kinda. Foals that are going to grey have way more vibrant and dark coats than ones that are not.
Take, for example, this greying bay at 0 years:

At 1 year old, you can start to see the grey coming in:

Also notice the difference in hue between my horse and yours. The mealy is reddish while the grey on my horse is absolutely grey.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Thanks. So Tija is going to be a real beauty, I am now reconsidering selling her :D
I looked at Quasar again, and then compared him to his dam's baby pictures - now that you say so I see that she used to be brighter than he is, and she doesn't have that gray circle around the eye at 0 years, however she does at 0.5 years already. Is it just me, or is it really so that grays don't show "baby mealy-ness"? I've looked around and I've yet to see one who does.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

New one :)
Dopamine C

Is my first Cleveland Bay a chestnut with dun, with roan, or with both? I don't see any dun marks, so - roan?
Dreamer98
Visit My Farm

Post by Dreamer98 »

Yeah I'd agree with roan
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:04 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:04 am