The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

unexpected coat :)

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Flyer-owl
Visit My Farm

unexpected coat :)

Post by Flyer-owl »

Hi!
I don't really get how she got her color:
Fancy Belle

the sire is just plain red, and the dam red dun, right?
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: unexpected coat :)

Post by Raikit »

Flyer-owl wrote:Hi!
Fancy Belle

You have her listed as a gold champagne but she's actually apricot - chestnut plus two pearls. Neither parent carries champagne or cream so her dilution has to come from the pearl gene. Pearl won't dilute the coat by itself unless there are two copies - hence why you can't see it on either parent.
Last edited by Raikit on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyer-owl
Visit My Farm

Post by Flyer-owl »

ahhh cool thanks! :)
Andraste
Visit My Farm

Post by Andraste »

Flyer-owl wrote:ahhh cool thanks! :)
Hi, sorry if this is a bit nosey of me, but I see you listed the horse as "perlino" and that's actually not the same thing as the pearl gene.

Perlino is when you have a bay horse and two cream genes. What you have is a chestnut pearl or I believe another, more colloquial name for it is "apricot". :3
Flyer-owl
Visit My Farm

Post by Flyer-owl »

riight! Jeezus I used to be so good at this.. rusty :)
I knew there was something weird, so I even googled it. Found nothing. Thank youuu!
Andraste
Visit My Farm

Post by Andraste »

You're welcome! Looking at her again, it looks like she may be flaxen as well, since I think the manes are typically the same color as the coat for apricot. Either way, she's a very pretty filly!
MichelleRoddy3110
Visit My Farm

Post by MichelleRoddy3110 »

Fancy Belle

if you go back about 3 generations on the sires side of things you have a palomino mare in their and the mares mother is i think a cremello or something along those lines so i would say thats where your coloring came its just been recessive for a while and you breed a pair that turned it into a dominant gene
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

MichelleRoddy3110 wrote:
Fancy Belle

if you go back about 3 generations on the sires side of things you have a palomino mare in their and the mares mother is i think a cremello or something along those lines so i would say thats where your coloring came its just been recessive for a while and you breed a pair that turned it into a dominant gene
There is no way for a recessive gene to "turn into" a dominant gene. Unless a horse is black, cream will always affect a horse's adult coat. Neither of this mare's parents are black (both are chestnut-based) and neither has any appearance of the cream gene, therefore this mare will not have it either. The palomino three gens back in her pedigree was bred with a chestnut stallion to produce a chestnut foal - she did not pass her cream on.

Also the mare's mother is a red dun, not a cremello. Here is the mother:

And here is a cremello (albeit with some sooty on his bum):

Flyer-owl
Visit My Farm

Post by Flyer-owl »

Andraste wrote:You're welcome! Looking at her again, it looks like she may be flaxen as well, since I think the manes are typically the same color as the coat for apricot. Either way, she's a very pretty filly!

Thank you :) I bred the breed myself ^^
I was thinking the same thing, but since neither sire or dam (both chestnut) seem to carry it, I ended up with that being unlikely..
The breed has quite a lot of sootyness going on though, so I thought it might just look lighter because the main coat will soot out more.. Time will tell ;)
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Flyer-owl wrote:
Andraste wrote:You're welcome! Looking at her again, it looks like she may be flaxen as well, since I think the manes are typically the same color as the coat for apricot. Either way, she's a very pretty filly!

Thank you :) I bred the breed myself ^^
I was thinking the same thing, but since neither sire or dam (both chestnut) seem to carry it, I ended up with that being unlikely..
The breed has quite a lot of sootyness going on though, so I thought it might just look lighter because the main coat will soot out more.. Time will tell ;)
Pearl actually does cause a slight lightening of the mane and tail. This image is from the color guide:
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:07 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:07 am