The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Fading filly.. Silver or grey?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Conair
Visit My Farm

Fading filly.. Silver or grey?

Post by Conair »

I first concluded this color to be smoky brown and with the 2LPfsl gene (the spots)
But the coat is slightly lighter/more greyish than my other smoky brown horse
Is that a silver gene? Or is she greying? Bc she had a clear smoky brown color at 1 year old, so I assume she isn't suppose to change her color now. What causes her "fading"?

Conair's Feature Star
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Fading filly.. Silver or grey?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Conair wrote:I first concluded this color to be smoky brown and with the 2LPfsl gene (the spots)
But the coat is slightly lighter/more greyish than my other smoky brown horse
Is that a silver gene? Or is she greying? Bc she had a clear smoky brown color at 1 year old, so I assume she isn't suppose to change her color now. What causes her "fading"?
I think you're forgetting about varnish. Any horse that carries the Lp gene (whether one or two of them), will varnish out.
And (although I don't think this horse is being affected by it), black coloration can also be affected by the Lp bronzing (another gene linked directly to Lp, but unlike varnish, not all horses carry that when they carry Lp).

So what you're seeing is the varnish that Lp horses have. It makes the coat 'silver' or gray a bit and (for quite a few of mine) begins to appear as if the horse has the metallic gene.
Conair
Visit My Farm

Post by Conair »

Oh, I see.. Haven't really seen varnish being mentioned anywhere in the guides, so I didn't know it existed :D
But thank you!
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Conair wrote:Oh, I see.. Haven't really seen varnish being mentioned anywhere in the guides, so I didn't know it existed :D
But thank you!
I am going to upgrade my colour guide with LP genes (including examples of varnish) eventually. I have already started with rewritin some of the texts and as soon as I have all the pictures I need I will upload them to the guide.
Conair
Visit My Farm

Post by Conair »

Totina wrote: I am going to upgrade my colour guide with LP genes (including examples of varnish) eventually. I have already started with rewritin some of the texts and as soon as I have all the pictures I need I will upload them to the guide.
Sounds amazing, I really use your guide a lot - very helpful :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 am