The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Tobiano Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Tobiano Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Funny pattern going on with gold dun's belgian mix descendants. The pair that gave me the neck-marked foal gave me two stocking-only foals. I bred those two together and got two stocking babies followed by this cute colt:

BlackOak, the girl you liked gave me an adorable little filly:

I've rebred her to see what she gives the second time around, then she's all yours. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Funny pattern going on with gold dun's belgian mix descendants. The pair that gave me the neck-marked foal gave me two stocking-only foals. I bred those two together and got two stocking babies followed by this cute colt:

BlackOak, the girl you liked gave me an adorable little filly:

I've rebred her to see what she gives the second time around, then she's all yours. :)
I had the same thing happen when I introduced a marked belgian stud into my line. Since then I've had high stockinged foals pop out, cornet and anklet, almost exclusively on the front feet/legs and eventually I had the back half marking appear, that diaper mask.
It almost appears belgians prefer the minimal leg expressions, but don't restrict themselves to socks and blazes. Maybe a filler type of To gene patterning? Like just the 'outside edges'.

She's not quite as cute as her mother, but the pattern up the neck, over the head and down to a thin streak straight to the end of the nose is quite the nice marking. It's good to see she willingly throws her To genes around.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: She's not quite as cute as her mother, but the pattern up the neck, over the head and down to a thin streak straight to the end of the nose is quite the nice marking. It's good to see she willingly throws her To genes around.
I wish she'd gotten her sire's pearl rather than his cream, I think she'd be cuter with the darker coloring. :D I'm mostly glad the foal had the extended coverage on the face. I'm excited to see what pops out next time.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
I wish she'd gotten her sire's pearl rather than his cream, I think she'd be cuter with the darker coloring. :D I'm mostly glad the foal had the extended coverage on the face. I'm excited to see what pops out next time.
I agree, that double pearl coloration where it's far from dark but not light does make beautiful coats. Too light, makes everything disappear.
There is a chance she'll get darker when she blows her coat. After all, foal pangare can extend upward quite far and be quite bleaching.

The To patterns are quite expressive, every bit of matching up to the Lp.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Here's her second foal, quite a bit more white than the first:

She's all yours whenever you'd like to pick her up.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Here's her second foal, quite a bit more white than the first:

She's all yours whenever you'd like to pick her up.
Wow! That mare is definitely expressive, isn't she?
I'm hoping she offers the same coloring she's already done for you.
Thanks!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:08 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:08 pm