The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

€R♛ Royale - (Farm Log)

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Royale Ranch
Location: Driving, Photographing or Playing the Piano (or maybe actually working)
Visit My Farm

Re:€R♛ Royale (Farm Log)

Post by Royale Ranch »

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

Due to several things, (namely the increasing use of usernames similar to my own), i'm adding a brand to my account "Royale," and any affiliated accounts.

So without further ado, i'd like to introduce:

€R♛

- This brand will be used on all horses bred by "Royale" or any affiliated accounts.
- Any "Copycat" or similar branding of horses will be asked to remove, should they arrive/begin after this message is posted.
- Please do not remove this brand if you purchase any of my horses, as it helps me keep track of my own lines.
- other terms may apply later :shock: :D :lol:

now, an update - well, a brief one at least:

Quick Recap:
- Current Main Project: Creating Exclusive line of Australian Horses
- Sub Project: Creating
- The Project within the one above: Creating a TB

a bit more detail:
many will be familiar with the "breed recipe for a tb:

1. TB = Galloway + other breeds
2. Galloway = Frisian + other breeds
3. Fresian = Andulasion + other Breeds
4. Andulasion = Cathasian + other breeds
5. Cathasian = Sorraia + other breeds

Since last update:
- Created Sufficient Mongolians
- Bred the Sorria in abundance
- Almost completed the Cathasian - (which seemed to give me an abundance of colts, fillies? not so much)
- a big thanks to BlackOak for showing me how "failed" breedings can be used to create your goal :D

Whats Next?
- Breeding some Andulasion's (getting a little scary now we're getting so many generations (all 0% COI :D )

Andulasion = [ Sorraia x Carthusian ] x [ Sorraia x West African Barb ]

let's see how it goes!

...............................................................................................
p.s - pending on results, i'm thinking of perhaps auctioning off an exclusive, wholly new, pure line of 1st generation TB (that i don't use for the furtheration of my own project.) anyone interested?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Royale Ranch (Farm Log)

Post by BlackOak2 »

Royale Ranch wrote:

i know your post was a long time ago.. but that slightly supernatural power you have there seemed to work... I got oodles of successful foals after that!

thanks for clearing up the "breed recipe" phenomenon.... its really helped me create some other breeds as well :D
ahahahahahah!!!!! :lol:

Shhh!!! Don't tell no-one!

I was wondering where all my quick recipe-making luck disappeared to... :o I sent it to you... :roll:

All kidding aside, congratulations. It feels so good when you have a good pair that consistently throws correctly. In reality it means you were able to produce within the limits you needed. It's still a flip of the coin when you have everything right, but some have offered that it's as great as 50/50 if both parents have everything they need and nothing they don't. So a 50/50 chance is really good odds.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Royale Ranch
Location: Driving, Photographing or Playing the Piano (or maybe actually working)
Visit My Farm

Re: €R♛ Royale - (Farm Log)

Post by Royale Ranch »

not really an update...

but boy, i'm exhausted!

Not physically, but mentally, I guess….. I haven't updated in while, so just thought I'd give a progress report - of sorts.

My current mini-project is to create the Andulasion. (on the way to create the TB, which is on the way to create The Aus Stock pony, on the way to create the Brumby - and thats only mentioning the big markers :D )

Andulasion = [ Sorraia x Carthusian ] x [ Sorraia x West African Barb ]

Right now, I have bred the crosses....
Aged them to breeding age....
and sorted them into pens... PHEW!

(that took ages by the way, because I've sorted according to their possible most problamatic feature (i.e. too high or too low) and so on… and incidently, to do that, I had to go through and evaluate 78 horses (oh bother, that doesn’t even sound like quite so much now its all over!)

For the sake of statistics, i have ended with:
10x WAB x Sorraia Mares
9x WAB x Sorraia Mares

35 Carthusian x Sorraia mares... (yes, you did see correctly)
24 x Carthuasian x Sorraia studs....

Sooo now, take a deep breath.. time for breeding season! :)

I think the biggest issue i will have is height, but we'll see what happens!
(other than the fact that i'm going to run out of room pretty soon!)

well, now i've finished my ramble... i think... at least, for now....
Royale Ranch
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

UPDATE: Australian Project

To Prevent (some) confusion, I'm going to do a bit of labelling...

Overarching Goal: Australian Brumby
Goal Part 1: Australian Pony
Goal Part 2: Australian Stock Horse
Project1: TB
Project2: Chicksaw
Porject3: 1/4 horse
Sub-Project1: Galloway
Sub-project2: Friesian
Sub-project3: Andulasion

Sub-project3 UPDATE: Andulasion - Complete!
[horse=][/horse]
- as mentioned in my previous post, i suspected i would have some trouble with hight - and i did. But i also, kindof unexpectedly, had some trouble with the horse/pony type - (mostly being too horselike...)

I also had a major struggle to get any fillies... i have colts in abundance, but....

But there is a whole lot of potential there which might be worth looking into one day... a whole lot of foals carried either a.) light feathers or b.) paint markings... so perhaps potential to carry that right through to the TB's one day..... ;)

Many of my horses now hold a gene that allows the mane to gray with age... nnt too happy about it, but hoping its not an extreme dominant!
But other than that, i am quite happy with the relative variety of color i have (and shape of manes etc)

From now on, i'm going to add a couple of pics of each breeding milestone just so you can see what the shape of the horse is like, and so on..

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2018373
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2014061
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2018381
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2018541
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2018506
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2013890
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2012909
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2012899

...............................................................................................................

Next Up: sub-project 2 - Friesians

After so many generations of "new breeds" piling on top of each other, its beginning to get a little more pressured....!!!

Friesian = Forest Horse x [ Arabianx Andalusian ]

Height Mature Range 15.0hh to 17.1hh
Build Medium Light to Medium
Body Size 35% to 50%
Type 60% Horse Type to 55% Pony Type

Looking at that, quickly going to do an analysis per thingy:

Height:
its quite a wide range, but saying that, I’m not going to want to venture too high, because I suspect the later breeds wont need that height. A foundation arabian may just make it into the height bracket, but will most likely be too short. The andulasion may have the same issue, having a lower average height, although their height does span a larger allowance than the arabian. So for this feature, the forest horse is going to pull the weight, so to speak. Pulling a random AC Forest horse, his height was 17.1, so I’m assuming there wont be too much of a problem here, so long as I keep aware of the restaints and monitor their height – not overly much, but just keep an eye on it.
All in all, I don’t think height will be of issue.

build
ML – M. Naturally, the arabian horse is very light, and although the andulasion cross should weight it down, the forest horse, again, will play the deciding role. (both the latter breeds have ML-M requirements natively.)
Build may become the deciding factor, but we’ll have to see how the other puzzle pieces fit first!

body size
Now, here’s the annoying one. 35-40%
Just taking a wide estimation here, the Arabian stands at around 7%, the andulsion at 40% and the Forest at 60%, so we may have a problem here, although it’s too early to tell. Another tell tale pointer is how narrow the allowance is – only 5%... I think the arabian could be he deciding factor here, although weather because too light, or too heavy, its too early to tell – it honestly could swing either way!
Certainly one to watch – and one that could go horribly wrong

body type
Previously, certainly something that I’ve overlooked. Now, I understand a little better! With the andulasion, I struggled to keep within the bounds of “horse type”
Natively, the Arabian is going to be very, very horse-like, and generally, although they can swing either way most of my andulasions are horse like as well, and leaning on the “too horse-like” side a little far…. So, back to the Forest horses again – I think this one will be the deciding factor In choosing my horses. Will my forest horses be pony type enough to balance out my “horse heavy” Arabians and Andulasions?

and now i've finished writing that all out, i should have some more turns regenerated by now! :D

A couple of interesting observations though - yes, some of my 0% COI;'s are slowly fading out because of a little inbreeding, but sometimes i have found, even with 0% COI on both parents, the foal will have a little - 5.% or so... which means perhaps that for some breeds, you will never be able to gain 0% COI?

There was something else too, but i cant remember what it is right now... anyhow (i have 5 turns lol)
Royale Ranch
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

Update: (Australian Project)

To recap since last time;
Overarching Goal: Australian Brumby
Goal Part 1: Australian Pony
Goal Part 2: Australian Stock Horse
Project1: TB
Project2: Chicksaw
Project3: 1/4 horse
Sub-Project1: Galloway (next up!)
Sub-project2: Friesian (COMPLETE!- yay!)
Sub-project3: Andulasion (COMPLETE)

So last update, i completed 'sub-project 3,' and this post marks the completion of sub project 2 and the beginning of sub project 1 (the end of Frisians and beginning of Galloway.

Summary of the Frisian:
In the last update, I went over in some detail the 'expected' results/difficulties of breeding the Fresian.

In all honesty, the results were very similar to what I expected. I did struggle a bit with the body size - mostly too heavy, but there was no particular feature that turned more difficult than the others (possibly because i was aware of them beforehand.)

I do think that it as more difficult than the previous breeding projects, but only becuase of the narrower allownces, but saying that, my very first attmpt was sucessful. All in all though, I think (only a guess, i didnt calculate) i got a lesser percentage of sucess, however should be enough for my breeding goals - i hope!

See below for some of the horses:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2022642
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2023979
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2027914
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2027916

...........................................................................................................................................

For anyone that hasnt noticed that is reading this.. well that sort of makes sense.... I've officially done up my training forum, and surprise, surprise, that's kept me - well, busier than i would have been without it! (i'm not compliaining though) the only real problem that it has presented is that sometimes i'm missing the notiications when foals are born and/or the horses age more becuase im not taking quite so much notice of them...

.................................................................................................................................................
Now...next up!

The Galloway... Right now, i havent got time to analyse what i'll need and wont need, so hopefully will update later tonight.

...................................................................................................................................

One more thing... i'm holding a party, all are invited....

Royale Ranch is celebrating 500 years!

RSVP below... ;)

(p.s: i'm beginning to feel my age a little)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Royale Ranch wrote:...
500 years... that's it??? Practically matches the amount of posts on your account! :lol:

Congrats on the half-millennium point though.

As a quick aside to the 0% COI... it's back seven generations.
The two 0%COI parents must've shared just one (or more) horse in their ancestry. It'd difficult sometimes keeping track of those horses and it only takes one duplicate to create the COI. The good news however, is that real life horses have a higher COI than your's do right now! In some cases. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Royale Ranch
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Royale Ranch wrote:...
500 years... that's it??? Practically matches the amount of posts on your account! :lol:

The two 0%COI parents must've shared just one (or more) horse in their ancestry. It'd difficult sometimes keeping track of those horses and it only takes one duplicate to create the COI. The good news however, is that real life horses have a higher COI than your's do right now! In some cases. :D

ohhh eeek.. (i think thats not such a great think lol) funny point is.. in real life in the quietest thing on two legs.. well, never mind :lol:

interesting... i didnt even ralise that I had passed that many generations!
But i guess i'm forgetting the mixes, half breeds and so on between the "new breeds" if that makes sense.. and yes, that probably was the case...

oh.. haha veeery sarcastically - thanks, a compliment.. kind of (only some real life horses?) :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Royale Ranch wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

ohhh eeek.. (i think thats not such a great think lol) funny point is.. in real life in the quietest thing on two legs.. well, never mind :lol:

interesting... i didnt even ralise that I had passed that many generations!
But i guess i'm forgetting the mixes, half breeds and so on between the "new breeds" if that makes sense.. and yes, that probably was the case...

oh.. haha veeery sarcastically - thanks, a compliment.. kind of (only some real life horses?) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, more than you might realize, in Tb's anyway. In some reports online, Tb's share about a 2% to 5% COI, many (or most) less and some have more. Of course, those reports could be wrong. Of the quick search I did, it appears that most agree that Tb's appear to share about .02% to .05% across the board, most linked back to a few major Tb players.

But it was a quick search, so don't quote me on that. :)

And who knows on the other breeds? For instance, the Icelandic has a closed population. Once a horse leaves, it can never come back, including any offspring it may have out of Iceland, regardless of the fact that it still remains pureblood... Ever think of living in one large family and keeping the inter-relationship... inter-related? :shock:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Royale Ranch
Visit My Farm

Post by Royale Ranch »

BlackOak2 wrote: Well, more than you might realize, in Tb's anyway. In some reports online, Tb's share about a 2% to 5% COI, many (or most) less and some have more. Of course, those reports could be wrong. Of the quick search I did, it appears that most agree that Tb's appear to share about .02% to .05% across the board, most linked back to a few major Tb players.

But it was a quick search, so don't quote me on that. :)

And who knows on the other breeds? For instance, the Icelandic has a closed population. Once a horse leaves, it can never come back, including any offspring it may have out of Iceland, regardless of the fact that it still remains pureblood... Ever think of living in one large family and keeping the inter-relationship... inter-related? :shock:

Interesting point, especially as my current benchmark is, in fact, the TB... but i guess you knew that!

Ha. That did actually happen to humans. I dont remember when - or which country it was in, but the royals wanted to keep their blood line pure.. so they literally inbreed. Of course, this was hundreds of years ago, but it resulted in many of the children - even young adults - getting a blood disease (which could be attributed to the above reason) and was ultimately fatal... (some people today still get it, i dont think there is any cure. Sad, really.)

For horses, its a pretty amazing feat - and i guess it improves their rarity, and value, immensely, but you'd have to keep a huge population to ensure it was sustainable!!!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Royale Ranch wrote:

Interesting point, especially as my current benchmark is, in fact, the TB... but i guess you knew that!

Ha. That did actually happen to humans. I dont remember when - or which country it was in, but the royals wanted to keep their blood line pure.. so they literally inbreed. Of course, this was hundreds of years ago, but it resulted in many of the children - even young adults - getting a blood disease (which could be attributed to the above reason) and was ultimately fatal... (some people today still get it, i dont think there is any cure. Sad, really.)

For horses, its a pretty amazing feat - and i guess it improves their rarity, and value, immensely, but you'd have to keep a huge population to ensure it was sustainable!!!
I know the one you're talking about, but neither is the family or the disease coming to mind.

The problem is the bad genes and the mutation ratio. If you can manage to keep those negative genes low, or breed them out entirely, then the only thing that must be dealt with is the mutation ratio. Mutations happen regardless of age, environment or incidents. But certain factors can encourage, discourage and change mutations. So it comes down to control of those mutations. Good ones can stay, bad ones must go.

What most likely happened in that royal family was likely not necessarily a bad gene that was strengthened by inbreeding, or wasn't just a bad gene, rather it was a unique mutation that suddenly had multiple friends and had a party...
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:39 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:39 am