The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Hazelwood (Aka someone likes american saddlebreds a lot)

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Hazel!
Visit My Farm

Hazelwood (Aka someone likes american saddlebreds a lot)

Post by Hazel! »

Please do not post on this topic! Keeping this for my reference and possibly your entertainment.
If you need me, please ping either Hazel or Hazel! in the forums

I'm not affiliated with _h a z e l_, but they are a cool person and I'm happy to share a name ^^

The American Saddlebred is sexy and you cannot change my mind
Breeding goal: Breed conformationally correct, true-to-life ASBs.

-----
Project overview

The American Saddlebred is a distinctive and beautiful breed. Bred in the American South from the Narragansett Pacer, the Canadian Pacer, the Morgan, and the Thoroughbred, the American Saddlebred was originally developed as a saddlehorse for use on plantations and to carry officers in war. In the 20th century, their main use was in the show ring. They also worked in Hollywood--Mr Ed was played by a Saddlebred, along with other famous movie horses. William Shatner is a well known Saddlebred owner and fan.

American Saddlebreds are known for their flashy gaits and excellence in saddleseat and fine harness, but their conformation and willingness also make them ideal sporthorses. With that in mind, the goal is to breed horses with high stats and GP that excel in HWO competition.

Approach to this project is two-pronged. The first prong is to breed for conformation. This will wind up with some very handsome grade horses. The second prong is to breed pure ASBs that can be crossed into the grade line to eventually bring the Hazelwood horses to full ASB heritage.

-----
Conformation Goal

From the USEF:

"The ideal American Saddlebred is well-proportioned and presents a beautiful overall picture. The animal should be in good flesh, with good muscle tone and a smooth, glossy coat. Masculinity in stallions and femininity in mares are important and should be taken into consideration. The average height is 15 to 16 hands and the weight 1,000- 1,200 pounds. Any color is acceptable; the most prominent are chestnut, bay, brown and black with some gray, roan, Palomino and Pinto.

"HEAD—well-shaped with large, wide-set expressive eyes, gracefully shaped ears set close together on top of the head and carried alertly; a straight face line with a relatively fine muzzle and large nostrils and a clean and smooth jaw line.

"NECK—long, arched and well-flexed at the poll with a fine, clean throatlatch. WITHERS - well defined and prominent. SHOULDERS—deep and sloping. BACK—strong and level with well sprung ribs. CROUP—level with a well carried tail coming out high. TAIL - carried proudly, coming out high from the croup.

"LEGS—The front leg should set well forward under the shoulder. The line of the hind leg, in a natural stance, should be vertical from the point of the buttock to the back edge of the cannon bone. The forearms and hindquarters are well muscled to the knees and hocks. Legs are straight with broad flat bones, sharply defined tendons and sloping pasterns. HOOVES—good and sound, open at the heel, neither toed in or toed out."

------
Quick updates

April/May 2019: There are barely any ASBs on active accounts. Let's make some more ASBs.
Aug 2019: I am now drowning in breeding candidates send help~ Beginning to breed gen 3. Gen 2s still being produced.
Sept 2019: First pure ASBs are now for stud! See this thread: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 857#129857
Oct 2019: Taking courses to up the max horse limit. It's taking a whileeee~
~In Memorium~
Tiny Headed Giraffe Horse. My first ASB and foundation for both lines.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am