The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Black Oak Farms

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Black Oak Farms

Post by BlackOak2 »

Dauntless Project

So I started Phase 2 of this project.
Phase 2 is to finish stabilizing the still erratic foal production. I'm still getting a lot of foals that never are able to pass the minimum requirements. That's what this phase is nominally about. Plus I need to add in some fresh blood and see if I can't get the fillies into a stronger position. I'm still being forced to accept mares that don't make the minimum requirements, however they must at least offer a class. So far they're about halfway there. Most often, one or the other class does make minimum requirement level, while the other only classes at level 1. New blood should really help to alleviate this issue.
Speaking of new blood, other than the two previous mares I acquired, I have just purchased a third. She is perhaps less dramatically strong with these genes, however, she is a good candidate for fresh blood.

Take Two Candies

Phase 2 will also encompass the shift of height down toward 15 hands to establish the base for the future split of the Dauntless Tall stock from the Dauntless Short stock. There will also be a shift to breed out leopard complex and dilutions (cream, pearl and champagne). Since there is only cream in the herd, this part of this phase should move quick once I reach it.
In a future Phase, only base colors and agouti will remain. This should offer the easiest breed-into for most projects while keeping my own stock from growing to unmanageable numbers.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:low GP project...

Sometimes you get one revealing something you weren't expecting that makes you want another.
Such a great coloration for a dapple gray.
Hey, was reading through your posts for the first time and noticed this one. Just wanted to let you know that this is actually a black silver, also known as a silver dapple, rather than a dapple gray. ;)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:low GP project...

Sometimes ... a dapple gray.
Hey, was reading through your posts for the first time and noticed this one. Just wanted to let you know that this is actually a black silver, also known as a silver dapple, rather than a dapple gray. ;)
Technically speaking, yes, all dapples in this game (so I've seen, thus far) are some cross of silver and black. So yes, this foal was a black silver... however... he also carried the gray gene. So he was in fact, still a dapple gray, or if people want to be picky a silver dapple that's graying.

He's responsible for offering most of the silver dapples that also gray out into my entire low GP project herd (for the most part). I was and still am satisfied with his coloring.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:
Technically speaking, yes, all dapples in this game (so I've seen, thus far) are some cross of silver and black. So yes, this foal was a black silver... however... he also carried the gray gene. So he was in fact, still a dapple gray, or if people want to be picky a silver dapple that's graying.

He's responsible for offering most of the silver dapples that also gray out into my entire low GP project herd (for the most part). I was and still am satisfied with his coloring.
Oh, very nice! Sorry for making any assumptions, but I see a lot of people saying that full-grown horses exactly that color are gray and my inner not-really-ocd-proper-color-name-enthusiast kicks in. :oops: Either way, he's gorgeous. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Oh, very nice! Sorry for making any assumptions, but I see a lot of people saying that full-grown horses exactly that color are gray and my inner not-really-ocd-proper-color-name-enthusiast kicks in. :oops: Either way, he's gorgeous. :)
Oh yeah, I'm the same way. I posted it so long ago that I had to go back and double check to make sure what I posted was correct because I couldn't remember.

And thank you. Who could figure (other than common sense that sometimes reports something that just doesn't always make sense...) that image is in no way related to high or low GP.
Directly and indirectly I've had a multitude of beautiful dappled foals from his line.

Direct son:

Great granddaughter (it took a few months for her gentle dapple to show. It actually seems she missed the gray gene too.

His father is the reason for the dapples and his mother gave the gray.
Father (another that took a couple months to first show):
Mother in her fifth year:

So you're right, it's quite a nice looking horse (and line for that matter). I've also noticed that even with the low HGP, they still perform quite well in the local shows. I'm not sure what that could mean and haven't yet looked into it.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm the same way. I posted it so long ago that I had to go back and double check to make sure what I posted was correct because I couldn't remember.

And thank you. Who could figure (other than common sense that sometimes reports something that just doesn't always make sense...) that image is in no way related to high or low GP.
Directly and indirectly I've had a multitude of beautiful dappled foals from his line.

Direct son:

Great granddaughter (it took a few months for her gentle dapple to show. It actually seems she missed the gray gene too.

His father is the reason for the dapples and his mother gave the gray.
Father (another that took a couple months to first show):
Mother in her fifth year:

So you're right, it's quite a nice looking horse (and line for that matter). I've also noticed that even with the low HGP, they still perform quite well in the local shows. I'm not sure what that could mean and haven't yet looked into it.
Oh my god, that silver slate grulla (the granddaughter). I think I just died. She is so gorgeous. (If you ever get another I'd love to buy it from you just to have to look at. XD) I don't know if you ever played Equine-Ranch but I did way back when and used to have a line of slate grulla silver Irish Sport Horses. Since then I have been head-over-heels for the color. It's just so pretty.

Honestly I don't think HGP has much to do with scoring. I've found conformation to be a much more deciding factor.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Oh yeah,...sure what that could mean and haven't yet looked into it.
Oh my god, that silver slate grulla (the granddaughter). I think I just died. She is so gorgeous. (If you ever get another I'd love to buy it from you just to have to look at. XD) I don't know if you ever played Equine-Ranch but I did way back when and used to have a line of slate grulla silver Irish Sport Horses. Since then I have been head-over-heels for the color. It's just so pretty.

Honestly I don't think HGP has much to do with scoring. I've found conformation to be a much more deciding factor.
I did briefly play that Equine Ranch game. I stopped, it's been years so I can't tell you why I didn't much care for it. Probably had something to do with the genetics! Or lack thereof. I have been searching most of my life for a game just like this, ever knowing that to design and implement it would be like a living nightmare for whoever attempted to undertake the project. I settled on that it had to be somebody like me who's always looking and got fed-up with never finding a game JUST like what they want.

Hooray for us. :D The game is finally here.
Are you into breeding for low HGP? I was thinking of giving a couple mares to a couple stables who are already actively breeding toward that goal, when I get into the 10000 HGP goal area.

Well... she is retired...
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/682514
from my breeding program anyway. If she were just to look at (or even to show) and not for breeding or selling purposes, I don't think I'd mind offering her to you. She's not a full-fledged goal horse, that's why I don't offer them for sale or outside breeding.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:

I did briefly play that Equine Ranch game. I stopped, it's been years so I can't tell you why I didn't much care for it. Probably had something to do with the genetics! Or lack thereof. I have been searching most of my life for a game just like this, ever knowing that to design and implement it would be like a living nightmare for whoever attempted to undertake the project. I settled on that it had to be somebody like me who's always looking and got fed-up with never finding a game JUST like what they want.

Hooray for us. :D The game is finally here.
Are you into breeding for low HGP? I was thinking of giving a couple mares to a couple stables who are already actively breeding toward that goal, when I get into the 10000 HGP goal area.

Well... she is retired...
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/682514
from my breeding program anyway. If she were just to look at (or even to show) and not for breeding or selling purposes, I don't think I'd mind offering her to you. She's not a full-fledged goal horse, that's why I don't offer them for sale or outside breeding.
I enjoyed it because it was the best around at that point. And it really got me into the color genetics. They weren't completely correct, but they were correct for what we knew at the time. (Just as HWO is correct for what we know now. :) )

I haven't started breeding low HGP yet. I'm working my way towards Budyonnys and that's taking all of my time right now. I feel like from what I've seen with my own breeding exploits it must be really difficult to get down towards that 10000 mark. The vast majority of my horses (at least 95%) have HGP higher than at least one of their parents and that's without even trying to make them better.

If you're willing I would absolutely adore having her. She would sit on my side with my show horses and her only job would be to look pretty. :) But I completely understand if you'd rather hold on to her.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I did briefly play ...eeding.
I enjoyed it because it was the best around at that point. And it really got me into the color genetics. They weren't completely correct, but they were correct for what we knew at the time. (Just as HWO is correct for what we know now. :) )

I haven't started breeding low HGP yet. I'm working my way towards Budyonnys and that's taking all of my time right now. I feel like from what I've seen with my own breeding exploits it must be really difficult to get down towards that 10000 mark. The vast majority of my horses (at least 95%) have HGP higher than at least one of their parents and that's without even trying to make them better.

If you're willing I would absolutely adore having her. She would sit on my side with my show horses and her only job would be to look pretty. :) But I completely understand if you'd rather hold on to her.
I keep track of who says what and how they 'seem' to play their games (via the forums) and I feel that you're honest and trustworthy, or at least straight forward.
I have no problem sending her over to you (I think I noticed you have a frozen side account? So I'm assuming you'd send her over there to 'sit and look pretty').
The lowering of the HGP isn't too difficult, although breaking the 25,000 line and now trying to break the 12,000 line is proving a tad irritating. I am within I think about two generations of having that low goal HGP.
Once you start breeding for one thing, the game seems to give you a hand and offers a forcing to lean that way. I'd say that (95% you offered) also my horses are born with at least being lower than one of their parents. Breaching those key HGP lines is like pulling teeth. There seems to be one at about the 37,000 mark, the 25,000 mark the 12.000 mark and I thought I came across one at about the 48,000 mark.

Meet me in chat and we'll work on getting the mare to you.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:

I keep track of who says what and how they 'seem' to play their games (via the forums) and I feel that you're honest and trustworthy, or at least straight forward.
I have no problem sending her over to you (I think I noticed you have a frozen side account? So I'm assuming you'd send her over there to 'sit and look pretty').
The lowering of the HGP isn't too difficult, although breaking the 25,000 line and now trying to break the 12,000 line is proving a tad irritating. I am within I think about two generations of having that low goal HGP.
Once you start breeding for one thing, the game seems to give you a hand and offers a forcing to lean that way. I'd say that (95% you offered) also my horses are born with at least being lower than one of their parents. Breaching those key HGP lines is like pulling teeth. There seems to be one at about the 37,000 mark, the 25,000 mark the 12.000 mark and I thought I came across one at about the 48,000 mark.

Meet me in chat and we'll work on getting the mare to you.
I occasionally boot my side up when I want to work on my Turkmene project, but I move any horses that I don't want to age to my main when I do.

And I agree with the game helping you out at times - though I'm not sure everyone would. XD I started breeding Vladimirs and had my first one after maybe a week. Then yesterday I got five VHD foals in the same game year. But other people have been trying for months without any luck. Though I think at times I just work a lot faster than other people.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:24 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:24 pm