The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:...
Take your pick. Both mares are up. Take them both if you want to try them both. If you want one or both of the offspring, you'll need to let me know.
I'm at my sales limit. ;)

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1019589
Augh, so sorry I haven't replied. I've been very busy with school. I just offered on I'm A Patterned Blueblood. I think I'll just stick with her.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote: Augh, so sorry I haven't replied. I've been very busy with school. I just offered on I'm A Patterned Blueblood. I think I'll just stick with her.
You didn't have to offer for so much. I would've sent her to you for nothing, after all she is part of the project, and in fact, part of my own low GP project.
I do hope she throws what you need.

And I realize how life gets in the way sometimes. I was a bit more concerned with her aging out then you getting back around to the game.
If she offers you exactly what you need, she's always welcome to come back home.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: You didn't have to offer for so much. I would've sent her to you for nothing, after all she is part of the project, and in fact, part of my own low GP project.
I do hope she throws what you need.

And I realize how life gets in the way sometimes. I was a bit more concerned with her aging out then you getting back around to the game.
If she offers you exactly what you need, she's always welcome to come back home.
It's alright. I buy outside horses so infrequently that I have a lot more money than I know what to do with. o-o;

If she throws what I'm hoping she will I'm more than happy to share the genes with anyone here, though of course you'll have first 'dibs' if you're interested. :) This is the stallion I'm breeding her with. He won't be of much use on the low GP front but hopefully they'll throw nice Lp babies.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
It's alright. I buy outside horses so infrequently that I have a lot more money than I know what to do with. o-o;

If she throws what I'm hoping she will I'm more than happy to share the genes with anyone here, though of course you'll have first 'dibs' if you're interested. :) This is the stallion I'm breeding her with. He won't be of much use on the low GP front but hopefully they'll throw nice Lp babies.
I'm certainly not going to argue if you decide to throw a bunch of money at me! Ha! :lol:
It'll eventually go toward the competitions project I'm trying to work the bugs out of.

That's a nice stallion, paired with her, they should throw some nicely balanced medium-weight babies. They probably end up being partially to fully feathered, there's some recent heavy feathering genes injected into my project. He's also got a nice long thigh too.
I'm hoping that her strong low GP genes doesn't get too carried away. Last time I bred out, I had the offspring drop over 10,000 HGP points from the out-bred parent. I think the largest drop was almost 15,000 points.
They're gonna throw some snazzy-looking children.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: That's a nice stallion, paired with her, they should throw some nicely balanced medium-weight babies. They probably end up being partially to fully feathered, there's some recent heavy feathering genes injected into my project. He's also got a nice long thigh too.
I'm hoping that her strong low GP genes doesn't get too carried away. Last time I bred out, I had the offspring drop over 10,000 HGP points from the out-bred parent. I think the largest drop was almost 15,000 points.
My horses are all over the map conformation-wise because the only aspect I select for is color. They used to be more towards the drafty end of things but more recently have been on the lighter end. My Knabs are picking up some pony and heavy genes that I would really like to avoid, but I'll work on that later.

Wow, those are some impressive low GP genes! (I also didn't realize anyone had already gotten below 10K!) We'll see what happens with these little ones. I'll be sure to let you know when the first one arrives.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: That's a nice stallion, paired with her, they should throw some nicely balanced medium-weight babies. They probably end up being partially to fully feathered, there's some recent heavy feathering genes injected into my project. He's also got a nice long thigh too.
My horses are all over the map conformation-wise because the only aspect I select for is color. They used to be more towards the drafty end of things but more recently have been on the lighter end. My Knabs are picking up some pony and heavy genes that I would really like to avoid, but I'll work on that later.

Wow, those are some impressive low GP genes! (I also didn't realize anyone had already gotten below 10K!) We'll see what happens with these little ones. I'll be sure to let you know when the first one arrives.
I don't think everybody has gotten below 10k. I meant there was a 10k drop from the outbred parent, so if the one parent had an HGP of 35000, the resulting foal was 25000 or lower.
The closest I've gotten was about 10500. It is definitely an extremely difficult project.

I was working on a 'non-game' project and reading up on the knabs and their history. It seems what you're doing (picking only for spots) is essentially what they did not too long ago when the breed almost died out.
Apparently in 1971 the newly established (or singly established, there were a couple before then) knab association tried to prevent the extinction by accepting literally any spotted horse into the registry in denmark. They had all sorts of types entered. They saved the breed, but the originally developed one is... shall I say extinct anyway? In fact, it seems that the knab today are direct descendants of the american appaloosa, which is also a direct descendant of spanish colored horses that also had links back to the original tiger horses (the very original knabstrupper horses before the knab became the new breed).
It really was interesting reading.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I don't think everybody has gotten below 10k. I meant there was a 10k drop from the outbred parent, so if the one parent had an HGP of 35000, the resulting foal was 25000 or lower.
The closest I've gotten was about 10500. It is definitely an extremely difficult project.

I was working on a 'non-game' project and reading up on the knabs and their history. It seems what you're doing (picking only for spots) is essentially what they did not too long ago when the breed almost died out.
Apparently in 1971 the newly established (or singly established, there were a couple before then) knab association tried to prevent the extinction by accepting literally any spotted horse into the registry in denmark. They had all sorts of types entered. They saved the breed, but the originally developed one is... shall I say extinct anyway? In fact, it seems that the knab today are direct descendants of the american appaloosa, which is also a direct descendant of spanish colored horses that also had links back to the original tiger horses (the very original knabstrupper horses before the knab became the new breed).
It really was interesting reading.
Ah, okay. I thought you meant that one of your low GPs went to another project and the resulting baby was below 10k. Still, 10500 is really close. Good luck!

Yeah, it's a cautionary tale about such specific breeding. (So it's great that this is a game and I can't ruin any real horses by breeding this way. XD) I often wonder how long it's going to be before people realize how messed up the Thoroughbred breed is becoming by only breeding for speed. Or any of the other breeds that breed for one specific trait. Personally I'll take a well-put-together cross any day. (Though I'm not a competitor, so I have no need for a horse that can jump 5' or anything like that.)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote: Ah, okay. I thought you meant that one of your low GPs went to another project and the resulting baby was below 10k. Still, 10500 is really close. Good luck!

Yeah, it's a cautionary tale about such specific breeding. (So it's great that this is a game and I can't ruin any real horses by breeding this way. XD) I often wonder how long it's going to be before people realize how messed up the Thoroughbred breed is becoming by only breeding for speed. Or any of the other breeds that breed for one specific trait. Personally I'll take a well-put-together cross any day. (Though I'm not a competitor, so I have no need for a horse that can jump 5' or anything like that.)
It's coming I'm sure. Although I haven't heard of too many recently, in 'recent' years there has been an increase of broken legs in not just young horses but really any age racehorse here in the US. I did think I heard that the international circuit was still holding pretty well. I'm wondering whats going to come out of that medicine that they give some horses that are prone to respiratory bleeding during and after races. I forget what they call it. Most international places don't allow them to give it to horses, but in the US the horses can have it.
I'm not necessarily against it. If it helps the horse by preventing it, fine, but then they go on to have lots of offspring... that's just offering the problem to become genetically linked.

I like purebreds over mixes... generally... however I get exceptionally picky when I go for them.
Closed registries can do a lot of good, but they can also do as much bad.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: It's coming I'm sure. Although I haven't heard of too many recently, in 'recent' years there has been an increase of broken legs in not just young horses but really any age racehorse here in the US. I did think I heard that the international circuit was still holding pretty well. I'm wondering whats going to come out of that medicine that they give some horses that are prone to respiratory bleeding during and after races. I forget what they call it. Most international places don't allow them to give it to horses, but in the US the horses can have it.
I'm not necessarily against it. If it helps the horse by preventing it, fine, but then they go on to have lots of offspring... that's just offering the problem to become genetically linked.

I like purebreds over mixes... generally... however I get exceptionally picky when I go for them.
Closed registries can do a lot of good, but they can also do as much bad.
There are quite a few things used in the US that aren't allowed or are heavily regulated elsewhere. Bute, for one. Part of our problem is that there are still lots of ways that people can "medicate" an unsound or otherwise poor horse to make it perform well. It's not restricted to any one discipline. And though it's not everyone by a long shot, it's still prevalent enough to be a problem.

I have criteria for any horse I'm looking at buying - the breeder needs to be responsible (this is a little squishy since a lot of horses aren't sold by their breeders), for youngsters I need to be able to inspect the sire and dam, and of course a PPE is always required. I've often found that I like the mixed horses I look at better than the purebreds except when I'm going for gaited. My favorite was a Lippizaner, Paint cross (though she didn't have any paint markings). She had her mother's awesome western gaits and her sire's fancy english dressage movements. Honestly the most versatile horse I've seen. I doubt her dressage abilities would have gotten her very far, maybe a bit past local if anything, but she could have gone places in western pleasure.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
There are quite a few things used in the US that aren't allowed or are heavily regulated elsewhere. Bute, for one. Part of our problem is that there are still lots of ways that people can "medicate" an unsound or otherwise poor horse to make it perform well. It's not restricted to any one discipline. And though it's not everyone by a long shot, it's still prevalent enough to be a problem.

I have criteria for any horse I'm looking at buying - the breeder needs to be responsible (this is a little squishy since a lot of horses aren't sold by their breeders), for youngsters I need to be able to inspect the sire and dam, and of course a PPE is always required. I've often found that I like the mixed horses I look at better than the purebreds except when I'm going for gaited. My favorite was a Lippizaner, Paint cross (though she didn't have any paint markings). She had her mother's awesome western gaits and her sire's fancy english dressage movements. Honestly the most versatile horse I've seen. I doubt her dressage abilities would have gotten her very far, maybe a bit past local if anything, but she could have gone places in western pleasure.
I am far from a horse purchaser, but I have ridden a couple different breeds and I've found that I've been drawn to arabian abilities and quarter horse or draft horse movement. The big, long strides are the easiest for me to adapt to. I know I don't like thoroughbred at all. But then again, if I knew and used then, what I know and can implement now, that may have been a much different experience.
I agree that drugging is indeed still very prevalent. And not just that either, there's a lot of equipment, really training equipment that I see being utilized in high level classes that I just don't agree with. Sure horses can be difficult and different, but the rider skills and training both have to be done skillfully and knowledgeably enough that crutches aren't needed.
But who am I to say anything anyway, I never got out of the training show classes! Hah! :lol:
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 am