The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: That may not be too far off. I've recently (just yesterday) had one born with a speckling of cheek coverage. Granted it was on a double Lp, but usually they seem to begin appearing before the single Lp spreads to that area.
I've had it as well. In mine it's always the exact same outline, so I'm guessing it's just the outer edge of what can be done with what I currently have. Like how the shoulders were before you found the neck extension.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: That may not be too far off. I've recently (just yesterday) had one born with a speckling of cheek coverage. Granted it was on a double Lp, but usually they seem to begin appearing before the single Lp spreads to that area.
I've had it as well. In mine it's always the exact same outline, so I'm guessing it's just the outer edge of what can be done with what I currently have. Like how the shoulders were before you found the neck extension.
Well, with enough pieces, any puzzle can make sense!
I haven't added any new blood since those black belgians, so I'm still breeding and waiting to see where it stops. Thus far, it keeps spreading, so I'm a 'happy camper'.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Well now, I have to eat my words... I do have a single Lp with cheek coverage.

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Well now, I have to eat my words... I do have a single Lp with cheek coverage.

Yep, that's exactly what I've had. Hopefully it'll spread when combined with the nose.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Well now, I have to eat my words... I do have a single Lp with cheek coverage.

Yep, that's exactly what I've had. Hopefully it'll spread when combined with the nose.
Indeed.
He's a third cousin to the filly you have now (give or take). So she should have the same, or similar cheek genes as well.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that either Daily Fairy or Primordial Spirit carry black, as their daughter just popped out this grullo boy:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that either Daily Fairy or Primordial Spirit carry black, as their daughter just popped out this grullo boy:
Thank you.
It's possible it's both (they didn't pop out a black for me though). I know there are a couple running around in my herd with an agouti negative.

Of course, not breeding to black stock, I won't be able to figure that out very easily. I've updated them.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

So far it seems that we're still missing the area around the eye and middle of the jaw. This is the best coverage I've gotten so far, though I'm still working on it:

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Here's a double-Lp filly with similar coverage, however she doesn't have as much coverage down the forehead as I've had on some other snowcaps.

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
So it seems that along with your super slow varnish, we can also have varnish that starts to show before the horse turns a year old. This colt of mine is a little over a year now, but his varnish started to show before his first birthday.

Here's the varnish on his neck when I first noticed it at around 11 months:

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm