The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote:
That gene pops up quite a bit in my herd. In my horses it has actually seemed to act as a 'mid-point' between no white and full white on that leg (one parent had no coverage, other had full, foal pops up with this). On these two, for example. The stallion has foals with full white, part white, and no white in his progeny.

Progress on my blackies. The most leg coverage I've ever had on a single horse. :)

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Now that I've gotten 'knee-deep' in breeding the agouti back into my herd... does it seem to anybody else that the genes for chestnut and agouti seem to be two different sets?

It just seems that whenever I breed my agouti's to chestnuts, their agouti expressions are less than that parent. Like it has to creep back forward, all over again. Even if my chestnuts are almost full from nose to tail, and the agouti's are decently covered.

I don't keep them, because they don't make the cut. But it's getting a little repetitive, so I had to say something.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Here's a decent example of what I mean:

Foal:

Agouti Sire:

Chestnut Dam:

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
I've had a different experience. Any red foals that crop up from my horses (though they're always by two black parents) usually have at least as much coverage as their parents, often with coverage in spots that their parents are missing as well. From my observations it's been more like red has one set of genes and agouti has to build on top of that set.

I haven't kept any of the red foals, but I'll post once I get another one.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I wanted to share this stallion with everyone (there's no picture in his gallery so you'll have to visit him). Interestingly enough along his neck he has spots were he doesn't have white pattern, but doesn't have spots where he does. I just thought it was kind of funny. :lol: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/972171
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:I wanted to share this stallion with everyone (there's no picture in his gallery so you'll have to visit him). Interestingly enough along his neck he has spots were he doesn't have white pattern, but doesn't have spots where he does. I just thought it was kind of funny. :lol: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/972171
I like the look of that stallion too. If he had a picture saved, I'd save him to the favorites topic. There won't be any picture at all once he passes.
Silverine wrote: I've had a different experience. Any red foals that crop up from my horses (though they're always by two black parents) usually have at least as much coverage as their parents, often with coverage in spots that their parents are missing as well. From my observations it's been more like red has one set of genes and agouti has to build on top of that set.
This is the same as mine, you just essentially reversed it. You aren't trying to breed back into black, you already have it.
It's just so odd. A little annoying to essentially have to do the same process twice.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:I wanted to share this stallion with everyone (there's no picture in his gallery so you'll have to visit him). Interestingly enough along his neck he has spots were he doesn't have white pattern, but doesn't have spots where he does. I just thought it was kind of funny. :lol: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/972171
I like the look of that stallion too. If he had a picture saved, I'd save him to the favorites topic. There won't be any picture at all once he passes.
Silverine wrote: I've had a different experience. Any red foals that crop up from my horses (though they're always by two black parents) usually have at least as much coverage as their parents, often with coverage in spots that their parents are missing as well. From my observations it's been more like red has one set of genes and agouti has to build on top of that set.
This is the same as mine, you just essentially reversed it. You aren't trying to breed back into black, you already have it.
It's just so odd. A little annoying to essentially have to do the same process twice.
He is quite gorgeous. I may have to screenshot him.

Oh, oops, I read that the other way around, sorry. :lol: Then yes, I've definitely had the same experience. I think I've done it so much that I'm beyond being annoyed to it at this point. Except when it comes to the face - it's really annoying to have to start from the midpoint or earlier just to see if I finally found that elusive face. *sigh*
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

So along with that little rear leg section, Arabians must also carry some ridiculous bronzing genes. In all of my experiments I never got bronzing this ridiculous until I had some more concentrated Arabian blood:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I have a very interesting outcome... and for some reason, my mind is failing me how this can happen. Maybe one of you can enlighten me a little?

So this is specifically the Low GP Project and I don't have any leopard complex included in this line, going back so many generations, probably with the purchased into lot (the beginning horses, but were not AC that I used). One foundation line I know for a fact doesn't have any leopard complex switches. The others however, some of them do.
These are the foundation horses:

This foundation horse has no LP switch:

So I do have at the very least leopard complex patterns in my herd, I expected that much. But somewhere along the line, I must have achieved in splitting the LP switch on one side and the patterns on the other, but that still doesn't explain this foal. Now I have seen no indications of snowflakes anywhere, not that I couldn't have missed them, I certainly could, but generally they pop up somewhere in a line eventually.

Still, this is just not quite making sense to me. The foal:

The parents:

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:...

Still, this is just not quite making sense to me. The foal:

The parents:

The foal does not have any pattern on my screen when I look at it. This is definitely a bug regarding the LP switch since the foal could not have inherited the LP switch from both parents. But now you know what pattern genes the horse is hiding.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm