The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
roesoftheshadows
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by roesoftheshadows »

Totina wrote:
You have made some wonderful progress! The coverage on the legs seems like a tricky one. It makes sense if some genes are recessive.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

texí wrote: I'd buy her for my "Sugarcoated draft horse" project, I need some other color then red in my genetics pool :D are you still willing to sell her?
Sorry, but I'm going to hang on to her since BlackOak doesn't want her. However I will probably be selling most if not all of my brown-based mares once I get one or two nice foals from them. If you'd like I can let you know when they're ready to go.

On another note, pretty little filly! (The filly fairy seems to be okay with me again. XD)
»ß¥Å« Returner

I wish she had some more coverage on her hindquarters and legs, but I love that she got the combo of neck and cheek coverage instead of just one or the other.
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Silverine wrote:
texí wrote: I'd buy her for my "Sugarcoated draft horse" project, I need some other color then red in my genetics pool :D are you still willing to sell her?
Sorry, but I'm going to hang on to her since BlackOak doesn't want her. However I will probably be selling most if not all of my brown-based mares once I get one or two nice foals from them. If you'd like I can let you know when they're ready to go.

On another note, pretty little filly! (The filly fairy seems to be okay with me again. XD)
»ß¥Å« Returner

I wish she had some more coverage on her hindquarters and legs, but I love that she got the combo of neck and cheek coverage instead of just one or the other.
I'm interested into any mare which is spotted and not red :D
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

roesoftheshadows wrote: Do all leopard patterns show or are some hidden? I had been contemplating experimenting with some AC horses.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by this question. Any horse adopted from the AC should, in theory, have some PATN genes. However, those PATN genes will only be activated if the horse also carries the Lp gene. So a horse can have a ton of PATN but still not show white if it does not have Lp. At the same time, a horse with Lp can have very little white if it does not have a lot of PATN.

Our working theory is that different PATN genes code for white on different parts of the body. Theoretically there is a gene known as PATN1 that codes for massive amounts of white all over, giving the true leopard and true fewspot patterns. However we have not yet been able to find this. We believe that, so far, we have been working with PATN2 genes that code for smaller amounts of white on different areas on the horse's body.

Red-based horses being more easily able to show a lot of white follows from real-life genetics where the same white genes will affect a red-based horse much more than they will a black-based horse.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

texí wrote: I'm interested into any mare which is spotted and not red :D
Well you won't find any red mares on my farm. ;) If you want, feel free to look through my pastures. I have a TON of black-based snowcap and blanket mares. I'm willing to part with almost any of the mares that are over 10 and not currently pregnant. Just let me know who interests you. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
roesoftheshadows wrote: Do all leopard patterns show or are some hidden? I had been contemplating experimenting with some AC horses.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by this question. Any horse adopted from the AC should, in theory, have some PATN genes. However, those PATN genes will only be activated if the horse also carries the Lp gene. So a horse can have a ton of PATN but still not show white if it does not have Lp. At the same time, a horse with Lp can have very little white if it does not have a lot of PATN.

Our working theory is that different PATN genes code for white on different parts of the body. Theoretically there is a gene known as PATN1 that codes for massive amounts of white all over, giving the true leopard and true fewspot patterns. However we have not yet been able to find this. We believe that, so far, we have been working with PATN2 genes that code for smaller amounts of white on different areas on the horse's body.

Red-based horses being more easily able to show a lot of white follows from real-life genetics where the same white genes will affect a red-based horse much more than they will a black-based horse.
I think what was meant was that if the genes are recessive or dominant.
Totina offered the answer that I too thought was asked:
Totina wrote:I am 100% certain there are some white pattern genes that are recessive and will only be visible with two copies of it.

The good thing about adding AC horses into an existing herd, is that the AC horses can have only a limited number of genes, therefore limiting the addition of genes to an existing herd and helping to narrow down what may be offered by what AC horse breed.
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Silverine wrote:
texí wrote: I'm interested into any mare which is spotted and not red :D
Well you won't find any red mares on my farm. ;) If you want, feel free to look through my pastures. I have a TON of black-based snowcap and blanket mares. I'm willing to part with almost any of the mares that are over 10 and not currently pregnant. Just let me know who interests you. :)
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/886491

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/885199

These 2 :)
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

texí wrote:
Silverine wrote:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/885199

These 2 :)
The second (Home Again) is actually still in use in my program so I can't part with her right now, but I can sell Whiteout. Would $5,000 be okay?
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Silverine wrote:
The second (Home Again) is actually still in use in my program so I can't part with her right now, but I can sell Whiteout. Would $5,000 be okay?
Absolutely.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

texí wrote: Absolutely.
She's up for offers. :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:52 am

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:52 am