The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

Just got a new foal with some interesting white coverage on his face:

SVA Superstar

I wouldn't want him except for that face white. Hopefully I'll get a filly with similar coverage from the cross.

Also, that colt from before did turn out to be a pure black and not a grulla. :)

He is joined by a second pure black colt that has a bit more coverage on the front legs than he does but traded a bit of butt coverage for it:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

It is a very unusual snowflaked pattern across the head, isn't it.
It looks a lot more like a dense-max snowflake than a fewspot pattern.

We can't get snowflake patterned that densely, can we?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:It is a very unusual snowflaked pattern across the head, isn't it.
It looks a lot more like a dense-max snowflake than a fewspot pattern.

We can't get snowflake patterned that densely, can we?
I don't think so. But either way it's not flakes because it was visible at birth and snowflakes don't show up until later.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote: I don't think so. But either way it's not flakes because it was visible at birth and snowflakes don't show up until later.
Oh, right.
Do snowflakes have different sizes, or noticeably so, like the spots have?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Oh, right.
Do snowflakes have different sizes, or noticeably so, like the spots have?
They seem to, though it's not as big of a difference as with spots. I honestly haven't looked too far into it, but here are two variants from my herd.

This mare has very tiny snowflakes:

This one has larger:

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Oh my gosh, check out this filly!

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Oh my gosh, check out this filly!

Great coverage!
It looks like the community's herds are finally open for full coverage with agouti and blacks.

I wonder if the same size genes that control the spots also control the snowflakes. Although looking at the spots on both of your horses, it appears to be a separate gene.
Now my next question: Like spots, can the snowflakes appear in multiple sizes at the same time?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Great coverage!
It looks like the community's herds are finally open for full coverage with agouti and blacks.

I wonder if the same size genes that control the spots also control the snowflakes. Although looking at the spots on both of your horses, it appears to be a separate gene.
Now my next question: Like spots, can the snowflakes appear in multiple sizes at the same time?
Let's just hope we can get all the way down the face. :)

I feel like I've had a horse with multiple snowflake sizes at once, but I don't know where it is right now so don't quote me on that. :?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Another beautiful white-neck filly, though with less white on her cheeks:

If anyone is interested, both of the fillies with full white necks have been sired by this boy. I can put him up if people want, but right now he's private.

---------------------------

Edit: And check out this beautiful near-leopard girl! (Also by the same stallion.)

SVA Artemis

BlackOak2 wrote:
Just wanted to thank you again for studding out your boy. Apart from the neck white he's also helped increase my coverage on the lower front legs. :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Another beautiful white-neck filly, though with less white on her cheeks:

If anyone is interested, both of the fillies with full white necks have been sired by this boy. I can put him up if people want, but right now he's private.

---------------------------

Edit: And check out this beautiful near-leopard girl! (Also by the same stallion.)

Just wanted to thank you again for studding out your boy. Apart from the neck white he's also helped increase my coverage on the lower front legs. :D
No problem at all. I figured I'd be just about the last of our nominal group to have anything worthwhile to share. After all, my spread was and still is, so much further behind than yours and Totina's.
I figured I'd beat Totina to the low GP 10000 goal. Still working on that though. :lol:

Actually... I didn't really expect to have much interest in my herd until our community was much... probably massively bigger. After all, I'm looking to make a leopard, wild-striped tarpan. Who would really want one of them? But I like them and that's really all that matters.

It worked out, in the end.
He'll be the sire that essentially began the patterned neck, so Commonality is likely to become a... 'common' name. Hah! puns... yeah, I did name him to portray the 'common' genes that will be shared. I'm hoping he can earn a couple championship titles, but he's nothing special, other than his colors.

Is it odd that I feel proud over a bunch of zero's and one's on a program??? :roll:
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm