The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

Edit: I'm curious - has anyone else gotten a black horse with white this far down its left foreleg?

-----------
So using Totina's boy I got two foals - a colt and a filly - both bay blankets.
MotherBaby
ImageImage
ImageImage
Both have nice blankets, but clearly no white on the shoulders and definitely not that right front leg. Current plan is to age them and breed them together to see what happens.

Totina wrote:
Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

News!

Complete fluke, but looky what I got!

None of my other horses have had that much white on the right front. She gets it from her mother, who is not originally from my program. Her grand-sire on her mother's side is the source of her Lp, but apparently not the source of the leg white. Her granddam is a Grade and has all sorts of breeds in her pedigree, so I unfortunately have no idea which breed was the source of the leg white. But it does appear that this particular leg white is a dominant/co-dominant gene taking into consideration that none of my horses had it.
Totina wrote:
Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Bred the two babies from my mares and Totina's stud together. They gave me this:

I suppose I should have kept him, but brain saw red-based and clicked rehome. I'm hoping they'll give me a non-red foal so that I can see if the white spreads to that leg or not.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:Bred the two babies from my mares and Totina's stud together. They gave me this:

I suppose I should have kept him, but brain saw red-based and clicked rehome. I'm hoping they'll give me a non-red foal so that I can see if the white spreads to that leg or not.
I don't think this particular gene is dependent on the coat base colour. The only thing I selected that gene for was to be visible on a horse with only a single copy of the LP switch gene, which the foal on the picture has. The pattern genes only seem to differ between base colours from the neck and up as far as I have been able to test it.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I am still working on breeding agouti genes back into my herd. So no blacks and only a couple non-chestnuts. However, I did pick up some NAB to work on what genes they might hold.
I have nothing new to offer just now though...
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I just got this filly:

She is completely line-bred from my lines, no outside horses unlike the mare above. And yet she has a pretty nice amount of white on the upper right leg. It seems possible that the recessive genes are just hiding in my lines and have never popped up on a single Lp before. But could it also be a matter of brute-forcing the white on the other side of the horse? Like, I've been brute-forcing the white on the left front leg trying to force it lower. Could it be possible that I'm doing the same to the right front leg and just can't see it?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Bred the two babies from my mares and Totina's stud together. They gave me this:

Do you see that line on the shoulder like I do? That could explain why all of our colors end in a very similar pattern right there on the neck. The slightly overlapping patterns and the fact that entirely unrelated blood looks in some cases identical.

We also have lines like that on the back thigh (between the knee and the middle of the thigh muscle) and on the chest just behind the elbow.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:I just got this filly:

She is completely line-bred from my lines, no outside horses unlike the mare above. And yet she has a pretty nice amount of white on the upper right leg. It seems possible that the recessive genes are just hiding in my lines and have never popped up on a single Lp before. But could it also be a matter of brute-forcing the white on the other side of the horse? Like, I've been brute-forcing the white on the left front leg trying to force it lower. Could it be possible that I'm doing the same to the right front leg and just can't see it?
I have a similar affect. All of my color in my entire herd, including that stubborn white leg area (which I don't seem to have a big problem with, all come through this stallion:

Illusion In Black And White

He was basically the first of my herd to have white extension beyond the mere blanket on his spine. Although I didn't breed too many mares to him, he now has blood in I think all of my herd. And almost all of the patterns my herd has picked up seem to be directly related to him.
His dam was an AC shetland. His sire line includes caspian, przewalski and tarpan.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Bred Totina's boy to his daughter. Got nice white coverage on the right front. She's red-based, but because she has white in all of the different sections I'm going to keep her to experiment with AC stallions.

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:Bred Totina's boy to his daughter. Got nice white coverage on the right front. She's red-based, but because she has white in all of the different sections I'm going to keep her to experiment with AC stallions.

Nice! While I am working on getting that area covered I am also working on getting the right hind leg completely covered in white and eliminate any genes from my herd that do not produce that white area, just like this horse:

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 pm