The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:I am on vacation for one week and there are a lot of good things happening I see. I would definitely like to breed to that bay stallion you got, even for a high stud fee if you want.
I will be slightly off for another week but I will not be completely absent from now on.
As long as you're having fun!
I'm about a third of the way through training him up. And I'm looking into crossing his parents lines from other offspring together, to see if I can't get another spread. Then perhaps we'll have some answers with which breeds offer the spread we're looking for.
The last few AC breeds I bred into was Belgian, NAB and Arabian, but I think arabian isn't in his line just yet. I'll work it up if I can get a second spreader from his line.

And then we can work on confirming the theory.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Yay! Thank you! I've bred one of my better coverage mares to him. Can't wait to see what happens. :)

Edit: Done for now, I promise. If the babies end up without neck coverage I'll work on breeding them together to get back there. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Yay! Thank you! I've bred one of my better coverage mares to him. Can't wait to see what happens. :)
Ditto.
It looks like, so far most of the mares that are being bred to him are all black or agouti. A handful are chestnuts. So it's a good first breeding group.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:
Ditto.
It looks like, so far most of the mares that are being bred to him are all black or agouti. A handful are chestnuts. So it's a good first breeding group.
All of mine are black except one or two that are bay, so hopefully I won't get any sneaky red showing up. :lol: I'll let you know when the babies drop.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
All of mine are black except one or two that are bay, so hopefully I won't get any sneaky red showing up. :lol: I'll let you know when the babies drop.
Keep in mind that I'm just now breeding back into agouti from an all chestnut herd (not intentionally chestnut). But they do seem to be taking to the agouti decently well enough.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:
Keep in mind that I'm just now breeding back into agouti from an all chestnut herd (not intentionally chestnut). But they do seem to be taking to the agouti decently well enough.
I did. :) A good majority of my mares should be EE. I know that most of my studs are.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I did. :) A good majority of my mares should be EE. I know that most of my studs are.
Well now! ... I should'a known you did! :lol:
I am curious how he passes on the chestnut he carries as well. I didn't do much checking, but I believe he is an ee under the agouti, so I wonder how strongly his genes will pass on that agouti over the chestnut.

I suppose this will also identify whatever mares of yours aren't true EE.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:
Well now! ... I should'a known you did! :lol:
I am curious how he passes on the chestnut he carries as well. I didn't do much checking, but I believe he is an ee under the agouti, so I wonder how strongly his genes will pass on that agouti over the chestnut.

I suppose this will also identify whatever mares of yours aren't true EE.
If he was ee he wouldn't be bay. :) Homozygous recessive red (ee) overrides anything on the agouti locus. So basically homozygous chestnut is dominant over black. Any horse that is not red-based has to be Ee or EE.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Here's the first one. A zebra dun like his daddy. :D

SVA Common Enemy
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 pm