The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: If he was ee he wouldn't be bay. :) Homozygous recessive red (ee) overrides anything on the agouti locus. So basically homozygous chestnut is dominant over black. Any horse that is not red-based has to be Ee or EE.
*Smacks head*
I know that too... why do I keep insisting on forgetting that?

I was just going back through his pedigree and I just realized he's probably the only horse in a singular line that carries agouti almost to the very beginning of my Tarpan Leopard project line (I quit looking when I started finding prze AC horses, that was when I was still working on butt blankets and extended blankets).
Not that it has to go all the way back, but he does.
What I found surprising is that his line carried nominally wild bay for a long time and quite often looked more like chestnuts with black muzzles and little black coronets than wild bays.
It's kinda neat.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Here's the first one. A zebra dun like his daddy. :D

SVA Common Enemy

Patterns look exactly like his father's head.
That's great news! He's able to pass on that extension.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Actually, much of their expressions are almost identical.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:
Here's the first one. A zebra dun like his daddy. :D

SVA Common Enemy

Here's the second, another clone of dad. :) (I may not keep this one, seeing as I have his older brother.)

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Here's the second, another clone of dad. :) (I may not keep this one, seeing as I have his older brother.)

Clones are certainly fine! It just means that he not only carries, but passes. Now we just have to get further extension.
And I have to find out just where it may have come from.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Clones are certainly fine! It just means that he not only carries, but passes. Now we just have to get further extension.
And I have to find out just where it may have come from.
I'm hoping that breeding the clones together (once I get a filly - the filly fairy seems to have abandoned me) will help with the extension. It's certainly worked for me before.

And I should have noticed before, but the patch over his ears looks kind of like the crown of snowflakes that some of my horses had been getting in conjunction with the neck snowflakes:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote: I'm hoping that breeding the clones together (once I get a filly - the filly fairy seems to have abandoned me) will help with the extension. It's certainly worked for me before.

And I should have noticed before, but the patch over his ears looks kind of like the crown of snowflakes that some of my horses had been getting in conjunction with the neck snowflakes:

You're right.

His father looks a bit like your snowflaked necks as well:

His snowflakes on his face look a little oddly huge to me. Compared to other snowflakes I'm used to seeing, even in my lines.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: You're right.

His father looks a bit like your snowflaked necks as well:

His snowflakes on his face look a little oddly huge to me. Compared to other snowflakes I'm used to seeing, even in my lines.
Maybe I was on to something with the flakes. I bred your boy to a few of them and am still working with the rest so we'll see. :)

Also, that first colt ended up being a coyote dun rather than a zebra dun. So your boy is Aat and can throw bays and browns but no blacks. :)

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

And the first filly. Of course there's no spread on her. :(

But I'll keep her anyway to breed to the colts.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:And the first filly. Of course there's no spread on her. :(

But I'll keep her anyway to breed to the colts.
Thanks for the agouti gene set. Sometimes I can figure it out, sometimes I can't (I talk myself out of what I know at times).

Isn't that the way it goes? For the past "ten" years on here, I've been getting about 70% colts. I've barely been getting by with fillies aging up in time before I risk loosing some of my stallions. Actually, I think ten is a little slim. I might be pushing fifteen now. And it's not that the fillies are born with worse patterns or HGP, I just don't seem to get many of them anymore.
Be great if I were in the business of selling show geldings! Hah!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:25 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:25 am