The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: No problem at all. I figured I'd be just about the last of our nominal group to have anything worthwhile to share. After all, my spread was and still is, so much further behind than yours and Totina's.
I figured I'd beat Totina to the low GP 10000 goal. Still working on that though. :lol:

Actually... I didn't really expect to have much interest in my herd until our community was much... probably massively bigger. After all, I'm looking to make a leopard, wild-striped tarpan. Who would really want one of them? But I like them and that's really all that matters.

It worked out, in the end.
He'll be the sire that essentially began the patterned neck, so Commonality is likely to become a... 'common' name. Hah! puns... yeah, I did name him to portray the 'common' genes that will be shared. I'm hoping he can earn a couple championship titles, but he's nothing special, other than his colors.

Is it odd that I feel proud over a bunch of zero's and one's on a program??? :roll:
Well Totina's been at this longer than either of us, so she's bound to have better spread. XD I'm just hoping to have the first full pure-black leopard. We'll see if it happens. P: (And once I have the patterning I want I'll work on breeding them into the Knabstrupper breed and then make them competitive.)

And it's not at all odd to feel proud! It's a game, and of course you'll be proud when you 'win.' Honestly I was quite envious when you were the first to get it. :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Well Totina's been at this longer than either of us, so she's bound to have better spread. XD I'm just hoping to have the first full pure-black leopard. We'll see if it happens. P: (And once I have the patterning I want I'll work on breeding them into the Knabstrupper breed and then make them competitive.)

And it's not at all odd to feel proud! It's a game, and of course you'll be proud when you 'win.' Honestly I was quite envious when you were the first to get it. :D
Don't get too envious. You'll be his owner when he gets frozen. I don't have a freezing account. I have the other one working on a different set of projects.

... I have too many projects!!! HAHAHA!!
:roll:

He was and still is a surprise. His parents and grands were all nice enough, but no real clue that they were building the genes to offer it.

His great grand sire (following the male line) was an AC black belgian
Beguiling Prince

Then nothing until a turkmene mare more than five generations back.

I liked that belgian stallion, but he didn't seem to give me too much, not from his other get anyway.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Don't get too envious. You'll be his owner when he gets frozen. I don't have a freezing account. I have the other one working on a different set of projects.

... I have too many projects!!! HAHAHA!!
:roll:

He was and still is a surprise. His parents and grands were all nice enough, but no real clue that they were building the genes to offer it.

His great grand sire (following the male line) was an AC black belgian
Beguiling Prince

Then nothing until a turkmene mare more than five generations back.

I liked that belgian stallion, but he didn't seem to give me too much, not from his other get anyway.
Haha! But I wasn't the breeder, so there's still a little envy there. ;)

Very interesting. Once I'm all the way to full coverage (however long that'll take - my guess is forever) I'll work on reviving the AC project and see what happens with that.

Also, I thought you'd like this filly. No neck white but nice loud dun.

I was going to use her, but you're welcome to her if you want her. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:

Very interesting. Once I'm all the way to full coverage (however long that'll take - my guess is forever) I'll work on reviving the AC project and see what happens with that.

I do like that filly, those are the loud dun markings I'm looking to have. But there's too problems. First, she's black... okay, that's not a big deal. But second, I'm working with closed bloodlines right now. So only AC blood when I'm injecting. I'm really picky on the conformation I'm looking for and she just isn't offering what I want.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I do like that filly, those are the loud dun markings I'm looking to have. But there's too problems. First, she's black... okay, that's not a big deal. But second, I'm working with closed bloodlines right now. So only AC blood when I'm injecting. I'm really picky on the conformation I'm looking for and she just isn't offering what I want.
That's fine, just thought I'd offer. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: I do like that filly, those are the loud dun markings I'm looking to have. But there's too problems. First, she's black... okay, that's not a big deal. But second, I'm working with closed bloodlines right now. So only AC blood when I'm injecting. I'm really picky on the conformation I'm looking for and she just isn't offering what I want.
That's fine, just thought I'd offer. :)
I appreciate it. I'm debating if I have a nice patterned filly from the mare that's closely related to Commonality, to cross her over into your coyote stallion from earlier. I haven't come to a decision yet though. I also haven't crossed that mare into a line that I suspect is the cross that probably produced him.

Breeding's a slow process for me.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I appreciate it. I'm debating if I have a nice patterned filly from the mare that's closely related to Commonality, to cross her over into your coyote stallion from earlier. I haven't come to a decision yet though. I also haven't crossed that mare into a line that I suspect is the cross that probably produced him.

Breeding's a slow process for me.
Mine's pretty quick, if you hadn't noticed. XD I have no requirements for conformation at the moment (my heard has everything from very heavy pony-types to light horse-types - I think the only thing I'm missing is very light) so color is the only factor determining whether or not the horse gets to stay or go. That'll change once I've got the colors right where I want them. :)
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:

I do like that filly, those are the loud dun markings I'm looking to have. But there's too problems. First, she's black... okay, that's not a big deal. But second, I'm working with closed bloodlines right now. So only AC blood when I'm injecting. I'm really picky on the conformation I'm looking for and she just isn't offering what I want.
I'd buy her for my "Sugarcoated draft horse" project, I need some other color then red in my genetics pool :D are you still willing to sell her?
roesoftheshadows
Visit My Farm

Post by roesoftheshadows »

]Man I see what you guys mean about black being hard to get, I should have been starting with black in the first place instead of working on full coverage on chestnuts. My best so far still has no neck coverage.

Do all leopard patterns show or are some hidden? I had been contemplating experimenting with some AC horses.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

roesoftheshadows wrote:]Man I see what you guys mean about black being hard to get, I should have been starting with black in the first place instead of working on full coverage on chestnuts. My best so far still has no neck coverage.

Do all leopard patterns show or are some hidden? I had been contemplating experimenting with some AC horses.
I am 100% certain there are some white pattern genes that are recessive and will only be visible with two copies of it. One example of that is the upper part of the right front leg that I have been working on, like on this horse:

If you look at her parents, neither of them have white in that area, which means that the gene for that area is not visible with only one copy of it.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:11 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:11 pm