The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

MPE Grey Andalusian Project

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

MPE Grey Andalusian Project

Post by Raikit »

I noticed a distinct lack of grey Andalusians and decided to work on breeding grey into them. I will be trying to get gray on a black or bay base. Apart from breeding for grey I will also be trying to breed in classic Andalusian conformation.

I started with this 95% Andy mare:

Bred with this gray AC Arabian:

Got this mare:

Wicked Mistress got her father's grey on a sooty smoky brown base. She was more Arabian than Andy, but was a step in the right direction. As far as conformation she was too short, too uphill, her face was too concave, and her flanks were too shallow for her ribs but she did have a good back length. I bred her several times and got two grey colts to work with.

First was this colt:

Birdie is a grey on brown cream dun by Greaser [SC] and is much closer to my ideal conformation than his mother. He is just slightly too tall and a bit too light but has a good face profile and back length. He is slightly too uphill by his conformation assessment but doesn't look too bad in his pictures. I would like a slightly thicker jowl on him.

Second colt was this one:

None So Wicked is a grey on sable dun by Master of none [SC]. Conformation wise he is not as nice as his half-brother. He is too short, too light, and too uphill, with a face profile that is just slightly too convex. He also needs thicker legs and a thicker jowl. Time will tell if he will develop the mane and tail that I like.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: MPE Grey Andalusian Project

Post by Raikit »

Foals from ⇒ɱρξ⇐ Birdie

Birdie's first foal was a 66% Andy colt out of an unnamed mare.

Grease is still growing but should be around the correct height based on his eval. He is also a good build. His face, however, is much too convex. (He's got a crazy roman nose!) He is also too uphill and could do with a thicker jowl.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Foals from ⇒ɱρξ⇐ None So Wicked

None yet.
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm

Post by JillJessie1997 »

I think your project is coming along good thus far. Nicely colored horses ya got there too. Hope you reach your end goal! :-D

I really need to edit my farm log now that I think about it, it looks like a sloppy mess :lol:
Stand up for what's right even if you're standing alone.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

A lot of work going on that I haven't cataloged due to lack of time, but I do have a new colt to note. He's a grey over yellow dun 97% Andy.

⇒ɱρξ⇐ Gold Medal

I'd like a slightly longer back on him but am otherwise rather happy with his conformation. However I would like to see a flat mane instead of fluffy and no feathers.
SageFeather145
Visit My Farm

Post by SageFeather145 »

Your project is awesome, its neat seeing it progress.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm