The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Percentage of Condition Penalty

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Percentage of Condition Penalty

Post by Nazarach »

I know that weight, temperament, breeders report and confo(?) influence the penalties a horse receives in Competitions, but by what percentage of the actual score?

For example, I have one horse that scores resonably high in Endurance (The horse in question http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1262540)
His temper is definitly one factor for his relativly high penalty but I can't figure out why it is THAT high (sometimes up to 2 whole points)… he seems to do better (in locals) at moderatly thin rather than thin but is it a misconception and the moderatly thin weight raises the penalty as well?

There are some other horses whose actual placements because of the penalties are sadly low, so I wanted to ask for some Input...
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Percentage of Condition Penalty

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:I know that weight, temperament, breeders report and confo(?) influence the penalties a horse receives in Competitions, but by what percentage of the actual score?

For example, I have one horse that scores resonably high in Endurance (The horse in question http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1262540)
His temper is definitly one factor for his relativly high penalty but I can't figure out why it is THAT high (sometimes up to 2 whole points)… he seems to do better (in locals) at moderatly thin rather than thin but is it a misconception and the moderatly thin weight raises the penalty as well?

There are some other horses whose actual placements because of the penalties are sadly low, so I wanted to ask for some Input...
I haven't yet seen any study done on how large a percentage of penalty is given. As far as I know the amount or size of the penalty is nominally unknown. If you were to take a look at a long bloodline, you may be able to determine a more accurate estimate of them.

I'm sure it's written into the game that certain things affect penalties differently, for instance, weight in racing may affect penalties much more than temperament. Or temperament may have a higher negative impact then weight in a sport like dressage.

The sport Endurance in real life is nominally about the physical health of a horse to complete a set distance in a set time. Simple fitness affects a lot of that, but also better bloodlines can greatly affect what the horse is capable of achieving. Such as, if the horse's bloodline is prone to EIPH (essentially lung bleeding during exercise), then such a horse theoretically will have a much higher penalty at the end of the endurance trial.

So, there are no illnesses yet written into the game (that I know of).
I don't know if there is an ability to run endurance trials in-game with a 0-penalty score.

If it seems that temper is having a much higher penalty impact on his scores, then there may not be a way to change that. If he seems to run better at moderately thin, then keep him moderately thin.

If endurance is in his bloodline, then is he doing better, worse or about the same as his parents and grandparents? This will offer further insight into whether breeding him may be worthwhile.

If endurance isn't in his bloodline and he seems to be a fluke, entirely different from his parents, then what about him makes him different from his parents? Temperament? Conformation? Body style?

It may actually come down to how he's put together. It could be how his actual conformation (not his conformation evaluation) is put together that either offers a nearly-perfect body for endurance trials or nearly-not perfect body that his penalties are higher than you expect them to be.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but those are my thoughts on your question.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
I haven't yet seen any study done on how large a percentage of penalty is given. As far as I know the amount or size of the penalty is nominally unknown. If you were to take a look at a long bloodline, you may be able to determine a more accurate estimate of them.

I'm sure it's written into the game that certain things affect penalties differently, for instance, weight in racing may affect penalties much more than temperament. Or temperament may have a higher negative impact then weight in a sport like dressage.

The sport Endurance in real life is nominally about the physical health of a horse to complete a set distance in a set time. Simple fitness affects a lot of that, but also better bloodlines can greatly affect what the horse is capable of achieving. Such as, if the horse's bloodline is prone to EIPH (essentially lung bleeding during exercise), then such a horse theoretically will have a much higher penalty at the end of the endurance trial.

So, there are no illnesses yet written into the game (that I know of).
I don't know if there is an ability to run endurance trials in-game with a 0-penalty score.

If it seems that temper is having a much higher penalty impact on his scores, then there may not be a way to change that. If he seems to run better at moderately thin, then keep him moderately thin.

If endurance is in his bloodline, then is he doing better, worse or about the same as his parents and grandparents? This will offer further insight into whether breeding him may be worthwhile.

If endurance isn't in his bloodline and he seems to be a fluke, entirely different from his parents, then what about him makes him different from his parents? Temperament? Conformation? Body style?

It may actually come down to how he's put together. It could be how his actual conformation (not his conformation evaluation) is put together that either offers a nearly-perfect body for endurance trials or nearly-not perfect body that his penalties are higher than you expect them to be.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but those are my thoughts on your question.
It helps a lot actually ^^ well, there seems to be a little history of endurance sires in his line - and they seem to have had a similiar body (at a glance - but for most it was the reason why they were chosen as his ancestors xD ) for the rest... I can't really know, their temperament wasn't indicated, and he is for some generations the only competitive one so yeah... his confo should give him a bit of an advantage I guess but all in all I can't really ped down where it goes bad, as I said; mainly his temper seems unfitting, he is a light weigth (if a bit oversized but most of his competitor are as well without that high penalties), and even his confo and breeders report indicate him to be good \-.-/
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
It helps a lot actually ^^ well, there seems to be a little history of endurance sires in his line - and they seem to have had a similiar body (at a glance - but for most it was the reason why they were chosen as his ancestors xD ) for the rest... I can't really know, their temperament wasn't indicated, and he is for some generations the only competitive one so yeah... his confo should give him a bit of an advantage I guess but all in all I can't really ped down where it goes bad, as I said; mainly his temper seems unfitting, he is a light weigth (if a bit oversized but most of his competitor are as well without that high penalties), and even his confo and breeders report indicate him to be good \-.-/
You know, it could come down to heart. It could be that the competition has just a little stronger competitive heart than yours does.

Without getting too in-depth about it, I could suggest to take another look at your top couple competitor horses and your stallion and see if their heads are a little shorter and a little heavier, their points of withers and hips just a little more level with each other and perhaps just a little longer back.

If (with a lot of emphasis on 'if'), those top horses all appear to have these traits, then I might go so far to say that your horse is performing with genes potentially better than theirs.

But, don't put too much onto what I say. I could be very wrong with that. :D
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
You know, it could come down to heart. It could be that the competition has just a little stronger competitive heart than yours does.

Without getting too in-depth about it, I could suggest to take another look at your top couple competitor horses and your stallion and see if their heads are a little shorter and a little heavier, their points of withers and hips just a little more level with each other and perhaps just a little longer back.

If (with a lot of emphasis on 'if'), those top horses all appear to have these traits, then I might go so far to say that your horse is performing with genes potentially better than theirs.

But, don't put too much onto what I say. I could be very wrong with that. :D
Sometimes? ^^' well, guess it is how it is - I don't know. But many thanks for anwering and trying to help :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:39 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:39 pm