The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Danish Warmblood

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
SOFA_HORSE
Visit My Farm

Danish Warmblood

Post by SOFA_HORSE »

Hi, I was having a difficult time getting a Danish Warmblood. I have a Trakehner mare and a Thoroughbred x Frederiksborg stallion. I keep breeding them but instead of getting a Danish Warmblood, I get a half Trakehner.

Here is the stallion:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1605755

Here is the mare:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1540374

I think that I am doing it wrong but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Please help!
Rhorsegirl80
Visit My Farm

Re: Danish Warmblood

Post by Rhorsegirl80 »

SOFA_HORSE wrote:Hi, I was having a difficult time getting a Danish Warmblood. I have a Trakehner mare and a Thoroughbred x Frederiksborg stallion. I keep breeding them but instead of getting a Danish Warmblood, I get a half Trakehner.

Here is the stallion:

Here is the mare:

I think that I am doing it wrong but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Please help!
I had this problem with a similar breeding pair. They kept producing half fells instead of what I wanted. It is possibly caused by the Thoroughbred x Frederiksborg not being totally 50% or from your Trakehner not being a purebred. It is also possible that it just will not work for those pairs. I used another pair of horses and tried again to see if I would get the breed I wanted and it worked, so maybe try breeding the stallion to a different mare.
Harlow Way Equestrian Center

Quality Breeding & Selling
Proud Breeder Of The Thoroughbred Horse & Other Prospects
[/center]
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Rhorsegirl80 wrote:
SOFA_HORSE wrote: It is possibly caused by the Thoroughbred x Frederiksborg not being totally 50% or from your Trakehner not being a purebred.
No, it is not. As long as the cross is the right breeds, percentage doesn't matter. Even 95% something x something else will work if the breeds are right. Same about singular breed - it might be mixed something or part something, as long as it says the right breed, it's valid.
I don't have a Danish warmblood book, so I can't help with the exact pair, but the thing that is not right is evaluation - the foal might be too big or too small, too bulky or too light - evaluate it and see what it says at each of the 4 evaluation measures. If both parents have 5* evaluation for the breed you try to create, it still means nothing - the foal must be "good" on all 4 counts. In my own experience, you have a better chance if you pair horses that are on different ends of the "good" evaluation spectrum (for example, mare is a bit too small, stallion a bit too big), than both being "good", but on the same end. Foal tends to meet parents in the middle on the first case, and fluctuate around in the second, and that fluctuation can overshoot the mark needed for the foal to be "good", but it's a bit of hit and miss anyway. You must get all 4 evaluations "good" for a new breed to be created.
If your pair looks like they might give you a foal that is "good" on all 4, then just keep trying :)
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

SOFA_HORSE wrote:Hi, I was having a difficult time getting a Danish Warmblood. I have a Trakehner mare and a Thoroughbred x Frederiksborg stallion. I keep breeding them but instead of getting a Danish Warmblood, I get a half Trakehner.

Here is the stallion:

Here is the mare:

I don't have the Danish Warmblood book but they don't look like they would eval well for a Warmblood. I have the Hanoverian book and they both zeros. You want to try to get 5* on the breed you are trying for to make a new breed. Even then it is not 100% guaranteed.
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

SOFA_HORSE wrote:Please help!
I realise this is a bit of an older post, but I checked both of your horses with the Danish Warmblood eval book. Both horses are N/A in all four areas. Both of them are too tall, too light and too horse-typey and it's very unlikely they will ever produce a Danish Warmblood.

As Tjigra mentioned, you want to go for as many evaluation "stars" as possible - or at the very least have two horses that will compliment each other according to your goal and end up producing a foal that falls within the requirements. For example too tall x too small might equal just the right height.

So you can either choose to look for horses for sale/ask on a forum that fit the requirement better (easiest), breed time and time again to Danish Warmblood stallions until you get a pure breed (easy enough, but takes time) or work on improving your TB x Frederiksborg crosses and Trakehners so they fit the criteria better (harder and very time consuming).

Should you consider option 2, there are a few DW stallions on the market at the moment, and I also have a couple of stallions I could stud out for free :)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
SOFA_HORSE
Visit My Farm

Post by SOFA_HORSE »

Aela wrote:
SOFA_HORSE wrote:Please help!
I realise this is a bit of an older post, but I checked both of your horses with the Danish Warmblood eval book. Both horses are N/A in all four areas. Both of them are too tall, too light and too horse-typey and it's very unlikely they will ever produce a Danish Warmblood.

As Tjigra mentioned, you want to go for as many evaluation "stars" as possible - or at the very least have two horses that will compliment each other according to your goal and end up producing a foal that falls within the requirements. For example too tall x too small might equal just the right height.

So you can either choose to look for horses for sale/ask on a forum that fit the requirement better (easiest), breed time and time again to Danish Warmblood stallions until you get a pure breed (easy enough, but takes time) or work on improving your TB x Frederiksborg crosses and Trakehners so they fit the criteria better (harder and very time consuming).

Should you consider option 2, there are a few DW stallions on the market at the moment, and I also have a couple of stallions I could stud out for free :)
I think I am going to do option 2, if you have any stallions that I can use, that would be great! Thank you for the offer!!! :D
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

SOFA_HORSE wrote:I think I am going to do option 2, if you have any stallions that I can use, that would be great!
Here you go, I've put two up for stud :)

Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Annekruse
Visit My Farm

Post by Annekruse »

I have some for Dw horses for sale. I also have mares :)
SOFA_HORSE
Visit My Farm

Post by SOFA_HORSE »

Aela wrote:
SOFA_HORSE wrote:I think I am going to do option 2, if you have any stallions that I can use, that would be great!
Here you go, I've put two up for stud :)

Um, your horses ran out of energy? Thanks for putting them up for stud though!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:00 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:00 pm