The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Getting a Higher GP

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
abby0500
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Getting a Higher GP

Post by abby0500 »

I am mainly working on breeding Arabians and Andalusians, and creating a few new breeds from my arabs. I am mainly breeding for a high GP and for champian horses. I have some very high GP horses and it can be difficult finding stallions to breed to my mares that have a higher GP. How do I go about raising the HGP but also keeping the inbreeding % down?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Getting a Higher GP

Post by BlackOak2 »

abby0500 wrote:I am mainly working on breeding Arabians and Andalusians, and creating a few new breeds from my arabs. I am mainly breeding for a high GP and for champian horses. I have some very high GP horses and it can be difficult finding stallions to breed to my mares that have a higher GP. How do I go about raising the HGP but also keeping the inbreeding % down?
The most straightforward way is by keeping track of the horses that you use. COI is kept track of 'seven generations back', so as long as you don't use the same stallion or mare again within seven generations, then you won't climb the COI. That's the most basic definition.

By injecting new blood, you won't necessarily drop your HGP, with the right blood (the right mare or stud), you can keep your offspring nominal. By using that offspring into your herd, you can diversify the new blood and also increase the HGP while also lowering the COI.

Once high HGP is bred, keeping it there isn't exactly hard. Acceptable high HGP should remain somewhere above 62k (in my opinion). If breeding to an AC horse with a high HGP horse, you should expect to get anywhere from a mid 40k to a mid 50k or better (fairly easily, depending on the genes your non-AC horse has).

By breeding out to an unrelated horse, you should drop the COI by about half. If breeding to another high COI, unrelated horse, both COI's will drop by half then be somewhere averaged between the two resulting COI's. So in actuality, just by breeding out, your own COI will drop.

So, the basics to keep in mind: Watch out for duplicate horses in seven generations. COI's will drop by half when breeding out. Resulting offspring should be used to diversify your own herd, not used to breed out again.

If you breed out every third generation to a totally unrelated bloodline, you should be able to keep your COI under control while also breeding toward your end goals.

Does this help clarify your thoughts?
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Ash Kuehn
Visit My Farm

Post by Ash Kuehn »

BlackOak2 wrote:
abby0500 wrote:I am mainly working on breeding Arabians and Andalusians, and creating a few new breeds from my arabs. I am mainly breeding for a high GP and for champian horses. I have some very high GP horses and it can be difficult finding stallions to breed to my mares that have a higher GP. How do I go about raising the HGP but also keeping the inbreeding % down?
The most straightforward way is by keeping track of the horses that you use. COI is kept track of 'seven generations back', so as long as you don't use the same stallion or mare again within seven generations, then you won't climb the COI. That's the most basic definition.

By injecting new blood, you won't necessarily drop your HGP, with the right blood (the right mare or stud), you can keep your offspring nominal. By using that offspring into your herd, you can diversify the new blood and also increase the HGP while also lowering the COI.

Once high HGP is bred, keeping it there isn't exactly hard. Acceptable high HGP should remain somewhere above 62k (in my opinion). If breeding to an AC horse with a high HGP horse, you should expect to get anywhere from a mid 40k to a mid 50k or better (fairly easily, depending on the genes your non-AC horse has).

By breeding out to an unrelated horse, you should drop the COI by about half. If breeding to another high COI, unrelated horse, both COI's will drop by half then be somewhere averaged between the two resulting COI's. So in actuality, just by breeding out, your own COI will drop.

So, the basics to keep in mind: Watch out for duplicate horses in seven generations. COI's will drop by half when breeding out. Resulting offspring should be used to diversify your own herd, not used to breed out again.

If you breed out every third generation to a totally unrelated bloodline, you should be able to keep your COI under control while also breeding toward your end goals.

Does this help clarify your thoughts?
I have been wondering how to do this! Thank you!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Ash Kuehn wrote:

I have been wondering how to do this! Thank you!

:D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
EBE Equestrian
Visit My Farm

Post by EBE Equestrian »

What is the highest GP horse ever in the game?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:14 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:14 am