The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Help with my horse's weight (stuck on "poor")

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
GrayJay
Visit My Farm

Help with my horse's weight (stuck on "poor")

Post by GrayJay »

I have never been able to get my colt's weight to anything more than "thin." Ever since weaning, the colt's weight has been mostly "very thin" or "poor." I have never been able to increase his weight to "moderately thin" or anything higher. I increased feed in increments, with no effect, eventually up to 150% hay, then alfalfa hay. His weight has now been "poor" for about a dozen turns. Now I have him on weight gain mix at 110%.
Is this a glitch? Could "poor" means that he is too fat, so should I experimenting with decreasing his feed? (But his weight has never gone above "thin.")
I have no weight problems with any of my other horses in the same pasture.
Help!
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/715280
Ashara Storm
Visit My Farm

Re: Help with my horse's weight (stuck on "poor")

Post by Ashara Storm »

GrayJay wrote:I have never been able to get my colt's weight to anything more than "thin." Ever since weaning, the colt's weight has been mostly "very thin" or "poor." I have never been able to increase his weight to "moderately thin" or anything higher. I increased feed in increments, with no effect, eventually up to 150% hay, then alfalfa hay. His weight has now been "poor" for about a dozen turns. Now I have him on weight gain mix at 110%.
Is this a glitch? Could "poor" means that he is too fat, so should I experimenting with decreasing his feed? (But his weight has never gone above "thin.")
I have no weight problems with any of my other horses in the same pasture.
Help!
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/715280
There are 2 ways to control the weight of a horse.
1. Buy a barn and put your horse(s) in it. That way you can 100% control the weight of any individual horse without affecting the weight of other horses housed there. This is especially essential for short horses as it is difficult to keep them from overeating in a pasture.

2. Mow the pasture that the horse is in. Horses will eat grass before they will eat their supplemental feed. How to Mow: Go to Farm view, scroll down the page and look for the small blue "Mow" button. It uses time from your day, but it is one way to control grass consumption. You can mow the pasture in 20% intervals and you will need to play around with how far down to mow your pasture so that your horse eat the supplement feed. NOTE: This will also effect the grass consumption on any other horse in that pasture so you may wish to purchase a separate pasture for this horse and keep it by itself so you can more closely manage the weight.
GrayJay
Visit My Farm

Post by GrayJay »

Update (may help someone): While I'm raising enough money to buy a barn, I have him on the weight gain mix. He went up to "very thin" after half a dozen turns or so, hope to get him up to "thin" or "moderately thin."
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

GrayJay wrote:Update (may help someone): While I'm raising enough money to buy a barn, I have him on the weight gain mix. He went up to "very thin" after half a dozen turns or so, hope to get him up to "thin" or "moderately thin."
Do you have him on 100% weight gain? This always seems to work for me and you will have to reduce it later or end up with a really fat horse.
GrayJay
Visit My Farm

Post by GrayJay »

Thanks for the tip. Right now he's on 112% weight gain mix; I'll lower it a bit to be closer to 100% as soon as he's at "moderately thin." I've been adjusting feed without too much problem so far; haven't had a fat horse yet (except foals temporarily, just before they are weaned and I can control their feed). This is the only problematic horse I've had so far (but I don't have many horses yet).
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

GrayJay wrote:Thanks for the tip. Right now he's on 112% weight gain mix; I'll lower it a bit to be closer to 100% as soon as he's at "moderately thin." I've been adjusting feed without too much problem so far; haven't had a fat horse yet (except foals temporarily, just before they are weaned and I can control their feed). This is the only problematic horse I've had so far (but I don't have many horses yet).
No that's not enough I find. I mean 100 Weight gain. The total feed will be higher depending on how much grass he is eating.
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

It would be 144% total since he has 44% grass. then he will gain and you will have to cut him back later to keep from porking out.(i take them off weight gain once they gain and them on performance or alfalfa depending on the horse) You will have to play around to see what number keeps him at the weight you like once he gains to a decent weight.
GrayJay
Visit My Farm

Post by GrayJay »

Sorry, I meant 112% total, weight gain mix plus grass. I've been taking him on and off weight gain mix as needed. (More often on than lately.)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 am