The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

"Realistic/ideal" Quarter Horses

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Abbih
Visit My Farm

"Realistic/ideal" Quarter Horses

Post by Abbih »

I've noticed no one's really made a post for quarter horses, so I thought I'd make one. I am trying to get realistic, or ideal might be a better word, quarter horses that reflect the ideal quarter horse that also has a high HGP and many greens and golds (or at least the ones quarter horses are known for, ex. speed, strenght, agility, intelligence). Now, I know quarter horses' looks varry depending on bloodlines (ex rope horses are taller and sometimes heavier boned than say, a cutter). If I had to say one body type, it would be the "bulldog" style the breed was known for. So a stocky body, but not like that of a Shetland or draft. But the horse shouldn't be super fine, like an arabian, either. The horse should remind you of the picture of a quarter horse that's all over AQHA's stuff (I'll link the picture if I can find it). The ideal quarter horse should fall somewhere between 14.1 and 16 hands or so, but can be a little bigger or smaller depending on its intended discipline (ex. Cutters might be a little below 14 hands). They should also have quarter horse type coloring (no appy or paint markings). The main goal for disciplines for these horses should be western events and Sprint racing, but they should be versatile enough to go any direction.

Link to image
http://imgur.com/OAckU3X
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: "Realistic/ideal" Quarter Horses

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Abbih wrote:I've noticed no one's really made a post for quarter horses, so I thought I'd make one. I am trying to get realistic, or ideal might be a better word, quarter horses that reflect the ideal quarter horse that also has a high HGP and many greens and golds (or at least the ones quarter horses are known for, ex. speed, strenght, agility, intelligence). Now, I know quarter horses' looks varry depending on bloodlines (ex rope horses are taller and sometimes heavier boned than say, a cutter). If I had to say one body type, it would be the "bulldog" style the breed was known for. So a stocky body, but not like that of a Shetland or draft. But the horse shouldn't be super fine, like an arabian, either. The horse should remind you of the picture of a quarter horse that's all over AQHA's stuff (I'll link the picture if I can find it). The ideal quarter horse should fall somewhere between 14.1 and 16 hands or so, but can be a little bigger or smaller depending on its intended discipline (ex. Cutters might be a little below 14 hands). They should also have quarter horse type coloring (no appy or paint markings). The main goal for disciplines for these horses should be western events and Sprint racing, but they should be versatile enough to go any direction.

Link to image
I've been working on this for a while, and have had some success with my eventers.
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
jodie1029
Visit My Farm

Post by jodie1029 »

Abbih wrote:I've noticed no one's really made a post for quarter horses, so I thought I'd make one. I am trying to get realistic, or ideal might be a better word, quarter horses that reflect the ideal quarter horse that also has a high HGP and many greens and golds (or at least the ones quarter horses are known for, ex. speed, strenght, agility, intelligence). Now, I know quarter horses' looks varry depending on bloodlines (ex rope horses are taller and sometimes heavier boned than say, a cutter). If I had to say one body type, it would be the "bulldog" style the breed was known for. So a stocky body, but not like that of a Shetland or draft. But the horse shouldn't be super fine, like an arabian, either. The horse should remind you of the picture of a quarter horse that's all over AQHA's stuff (I'll link the picture if I can find it). The ideal quarter horse should fall somewhere between 14.1 and 16 hands or so, but can be a little bigger or smaller depending on its intended discipline (ex. Cutters might be a little below 14 hands). They should also have quarter horse type coloring (no appy or paint markings). The main goal for disciplines for these horses should be western events and Sprint racing, but they should be versatile enough to go any direction.

Link to image
I’m working on sprint racing QHs heres one of my competing stallions http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1565227
Mega
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Mega »

Im working on them too. The stocky cowy looking horse. Not paint or app colors on them fo me. Short back. Low tail set. Its a slow process for me as im picky. Good luck
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

Link to image
You're talking of the stock type quarter horse. Short, typically 14.2/14.3 hh, heavy boned and well proportioned muscular animals. They've the least Thoroughbred influence as, no offense as some may not know, the 'quarter' dub actually originated with their speed at the quarter mile rather than 1/4th thoroughbred lineage.

I'm working on them too as having spent some years in cattle country near the Rockies saw and/or rode plenty.

Horses like Cutter Bill (15hh) are good references.
Above is reportedly one of his grandsons, Cutter Bill Dexter
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
Abbih
Visit My Farm

Post by Abbih »

Gaagii wrote:

Link to image
You're talking of the stock type quarter horse. Short, typically 14.2/14.3 hh, heavy boned and well proportioned muscular animals. They've the least Thoroughbred influence as, no offense as some may not know, the 'quarter' dub actually originated with their speed at the quarter mile rather than 1/4th thoroughbred lineage.

I'm working on them too as having spent some years in cattle country near the Rockies saw and/or rode plenty.

Horses like Cutter Bill (15hh) are good references.
Above is reportedly one of his grandsons, Cutter Bill Dexter
Most of the QH's on the game are long backed
super heavy bodied and can be over 18 hands, im looking for the 14.2-15.3 hand horses thatarent ridiculously heavy, But aren't super light. Like head horses and heel horses.
Gaagii
Visit My Farm

Post by Gaagii »

nevermind
Last edited by Gaagii on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Occasional Purchaser of Upgrades/Pony Tokens (temporarily closed)
Plume Horse Association
ZaRHBR Member, MRA Member

Gaagii (#88314) & Craven (#88478)
Zebracat1234
Visit My Farm

Post by Zebracat1234 »

I worked on this very specific thing of making QHs in HWO look like actual Quarter horses. I leveled them out, added some thoroughbred blood to my stock then bred it out, and this stallion is one of my favorites:

He's a bit taller than I would have liked, but the stockiness is there.
Chincoteague Ponies | Thoroughbreds
Ziel
Visit My Farm

Post by Ziel »

Hey folks! I thought I'd drop in and plug this realistic breeder registry I just kinda finished putting together: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 19&t=16496
I've been working on breeding realistic friesians / gypsy vanners for a while now, and am considering adding arabians to that list - but I'd love to add breeders aiming to breed realistic versions of other breeds! :D
If you folks would be interested in having Quarter Horses added to the registry, it'd seriously help if you could direct me to real sites / registry's breeding standards so I can translate it into guidelines for HWO breeding! ;)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm